riding in sweden and norway

William Monsen

May 31, 2022, 1:32:43 AM5/31/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I am going to Sweden in mid-June to ride the Midnight Sun Randonnee, which rides in Sweden and Norway. I would appreciate any info about requirements for my bike when riding in those countries. I will have front and rear lights and an unreasonably large rear reflective triangle. However, my handlebars don’t have enough room for a bell or for a front reflector.

Thanks!

Bill

William A. Monsen

22 Waterline Place

Massimiliano Poletto

May 31, 2022, 5:01:15 AM5/31/22
to William Monsen, San Francisco Randonneurs
My memories of touring in Norway are over twenty years old, and I'm not sure exactly what the route of your randonnée will be, but if you're not far from the Arctic Circle my guess is that in mid June you will not have much use for lights or reflective gear. If anything, bring some eye covers (as for plane travel) if you want to sleep along the route. The roads will most likely be fairly empty—probably not much need for a bell.

Also, bring plenty of bug spray.

Bonne route,
max

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

William Monsen

May 31, 2022, 1:09:10 PM5/31/22
to Massimiliano Poletto, San Francisco Randonneurs
Max,

Thanks for the info. The bug spray is a GREAT suggestion…I hadn’t thought of that.

The ride will be crossing the Arctic Circle on June 21 (the longest day of the year!), so my lights will get little use but I will bring them anyway in case of foggy or rainy weather.

Thanks again!

Bill

PS. Here is a link to the full route:  https://www.strava.com/routes/2872771142677873672 We start in Sweden and do a big clockwise circuit...