Richmond - SR Bike Closure

DBC RBA

Oct 21, 2021, 3:19:34 PM10/21/21
to San Francisco Randonneurs
All,
Please take a minute to read and respond to this update on the Richmond - San Rafael Bike Closure. It’s important to weigh in on infrastructure that you use regularly as a bicyclist. Even though the meeting was last night, an email like the one sent by Arvi (YAY!!!) can have an impact. There’s a fight over the bike/ped lane on the Bridge - it could be turned into a third lane for traffic, but in addition, the access point via bike path on the Richmond side could be closed for at least a half a year.

Plus, a huge shout-out to Robert Prinz for his advocacy and leadership on these issues at Bike East Bay.

Finally, if you care about riding your bike, then you should seriously consider joining the local advocacy group where you ride and or live. Orgs like Bike East Bay, SFBC, SABA, S. Bay Bike Coalition, Marin CBC, Silicon Valley BC, Sonoma CBC, Napa CBC, Bike Santa Cruz, Bike Alameda and Calbike are working on your behalf and with your financial support, can do more. SABA is grateful for the support we receive from some NorCal randonneurs!

Best,
deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Davis Bike Club Randos
Deb Banks

Drew Levitt

Oct 21, 2021, 3:55:11 PM10/21/21
to r...@davisbikeclub.org, San Francisco Randonneurs
Thanks for sharing this. The upshot is that the Marin Water Board wants to install its new pipeline on the underside of the upper deck of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge (which is notionally good for cyclists because this won't reduce the width of the multi-use path on top of the upper deck), but wants to put the rest of the pipeline under the existing Bay Trail access route from Richmond to the bridge (which requires closing that access for six months).

My take is that this is sort of the worst-case scenario. I would much rather have the pipeline on top of the upper deck, slightly narrowing the mixed-use path but permanently rendering that space unusable as a car lane. With the mixed-use space still repurposable for car traffic, and with no bike/ped access for six months, I can virtually guarantee that Damon Connolly will again push to repurpose the path as a third car lane ("why not? it's not like bikers can even use it right now"), and there will be a "pilot," and that will be the beginning of the end.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Drew

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Drew Levitt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Greg Merritt

Oct 22, 2021, 12:26:34 PM10/22/21
On Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 12:55:11 PM UTC-7 drew....@gmail.com wrote:

I can virtually guarantee that Damon Connolly will again push to repurpose the path as a third car lane ("why not? it's not like bikers can even use it right now"), and there will be a "pilot," and that will be the beginning of the end.

No doubt! :/

All -- do please remember that even aside from these water pipeline questions, the current RSR Bridge path has only ever been (and continues to be) a pilot. To date, it has never yet been a "done deal."

-Greg

Robert Prinz

Oct 22, 2021, 12:58:09 PM10/22/21
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Bike East Bay Education Director Robert here, thanks so much for the shout out and info sharing Deb!

Folks are also welcome to visit our website at BikeEastBay.org/news/richmond-san-rafael-bridge-some-good-news-mostly-not for info on who to email with your comments about the RSR bridge path closure, and some suggested points to include.

We will continue fighting to keep the path open 24/7, and anyone who would like to receive occasional email updates on this as well as potential news about the Bay Bridge path can sign up at BikeEastBay.org/BayBridge.

And on a more fun note, everyone is invited to come party with us at our annual Biketopia celebration and silent auction, happening Saturday, November 13, 2-5pm. This year the event will be a mostly-outdoor block party next to Sports Basement Berkeley, very close to Ashby BART. If you don't have your tickets yet, you can use my discount code PARTYWITHRP for $5 off.

Robert Prinz | Education Director

Pronouns: he/him
Mail: PO Box 1736 Oakland, CA 94604
Office: 466 Water Street Oakland, CA 94607
P: (510) 845-7433 x2 | E: Rob...@BikeEastBay.org

Break out your party hat & party mask for Biketopia 2021! Visit BikeEastBay.org/Biketopia for tickets & more info.