Post Mendocino Coast 600/Faultline 200/Sleepy Hollow 100 report

Rob Hawks

May 10, 2023, 12:38:27 PM5/10/23
to SF Randonneurs
Hi all,

Just a few notes on the weekend's events.

The 600km event starting on Saturday had 65 starters plus 4 volunteers rode the WR the week before. In total, there were 10 DNFs. I haven't yet heard from all of the DNFs to see what stopped their rides.

We had 4 out of state riders start on Saturday: 2 from Portland, 1 from Seattle and one from Phoenix, AZ.

It was raining at the start and kept up an on/off pattern until late in the afternoon. For most of us, the rain stopped and the skies cleared for good just about the time we reached Boonville.

Overnight temps were pretty cold for May, and day time temps were never that robust either. Most riders recorded temps in the upper 30s in the hours before sunrise. To offset the rain and the cold though, the headwinds in the Anderson Valley were quite timid, and there were actually clear skies when in Fort Bragg where the normal weather is windy, overcast and generally dim.

There seemed to be a more pronounced split between groups that arrived at the campsite fairly early and then rode through and groups that took extended stops at the Campground or hotels in Cloverdale.

The weather on day 2 seemed generally good: no hint of rain, plenty of sun, and the winds were mostly not a factor.

The big issue on day 2 was the events in Rio Nido. Someone there was faced with what they decided was a problem and the tool they chose to solve the problem was a gun. CHP officers closed down the highway and up to 12 riders had to find detours around the affected area. Some were given faulty advice from the CHP to use a bridge that didn't exist, and others were allowed through a short detour and later riders not afforded that same option. Of the 12 riders only 2 were forced by the delay and detour to finish above the 40 hour time limit but after confirming with RUSA times were adjusted to include them in the list of finishers.

The DORCs for the day really earned their salaries, and all the volunteers (see below for the list) really turned in a fantastic job of supporting our riders. I've received so many notes of thanks from the riders.

On Sunday, within the finish control time for the 600km, SFR also ran a 200km and 100km, the Faultline 200 and Sleepy Hollow Populaire respectively. We had six starters on the 200, many of which spotted returning 600km riders, and 9 riders on the populaire.

Congratulations to all the starters on the brevets and to those finishers on the 600km that are now fully qualified for PBP 2023. Some did finish the 600km but still have another qualifier to complete, but one would be forgiven for thinking that this last other qualifier might not be the same challenge the Mendocino Coast 600 was.

Volunteer CoordinatorMikeHrast
Day Of Ride ContactMichaelChalfant
BrianKoss
Support Worker's RideColinMoy
PeterGrace
Start control 600kTheoGoguely
JasonDanker
PeterGrace
Bag DropMirkoMontanari
TakahiroNoguchi
Indian Creek controlchuckschroyer
MirkoMontanari
TakahiroNoguchi
MiriamGreenberg
RobertWatts
Indian Creek Food BuyerKim Freitas
Start control 200k 100kRichardHolden
FrancoisClement
Finish controlRohitPillai
BruceMarchant
JohnFrench
MatteoScandolo
ThomasDunscombe
NaveenKommareddi
AndyLieberman
KenShoemaker
Populaire PicnicIanKizu-Blair
JeffreyPyle
CarlinEng
FrancisTanjuatco
Return of gear, etc to RBAArviSreenivasan

rob

Mark Dennin

May 11, 2023, 11:43:29 AM5/11/23
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Over the past year or so, I have had the good fortune to participate in a number of SF Rando events, most recently the Sleepy Hollow Pop.  In all cases, the routes have been excellent, the planning meticulous, and the volunteers and support top-notch.  On Sunday, even the weather seemed orchestrated to be nearly perfect!  Many thanks and respect to everyone involved, and congratulations to all riders.

Mark Dennin
RBA, Southern Florida

C. Duque

May 11, 2023, 6:57:10 PM5/11/23
to mde...@yahoo.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Thanks to all volunteers. Weather was perfect on Sunday and the picnick for the Populaure had enough food for many more riders. It was good to be back on the bike and chat with new and old randomnueurs.

Carlos

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/