Devastating news

Rob Hawks

May 20, 2022, 1:08:59 PM5/20/22
to SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements
While riding the Treasure Cove 1200 in Virginia, Metin Uz was struck and killed at a 3 way intersection. This was about 220 miles iinto the ride.

Early information is sparse and often erroneous. I will pass along what i find out when i find out.

I've ridden many miles with Metin. My only regret would be those miles I will not get to ride with him. He was the most meticulously prepared rider I know, and truly very smart on the bike.

When the time comes SFR and the whole NorCal randonneuring community will gather and remember Metin and hopefully support each other as we come to terms with our loss.

Rob

Drew Carlson

May 20, 2022, 1:16:35 PM5/20/22
to rob....@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements
I'm devastated by this news.  I know Metin to be a very smart and capable rider, and I'm dumbfounded at how this could have occurred.

Though I've spent a fair amount of time around him (mostly off the bike, because he was faster), I don't know much about local family or relatives.  Anyone have info that would be okay to share on this group?

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Drew

Jay Nadeau

May 20, 2022, 1:18:36 PM5/20/22
to san-francisco-randonneu...@googlegroups.com, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements
Oh no, that is horrific news. He was a wonderful one of a kind rider. I saw him on the Shenandoah 1000k out in Virginia in 2019, where he conquered that monstrously hilly route on a fixie.

Condolences to his family and friends and the whole riding community who have all lost a great person.

--
The SFR Announcements group exists to allow announcements to be sent to SFR members (Gmail has strict limits for batch emails that requires this method of announcement delivery. You were added here by virtue of becoming an SFR member. Please stay subscribed and have your settings for the group at 'each email', otherwise you will miss (timely) announcements from SFR.
---

Ernesto Montenero

May 20, 2022, 1:21:13 PM5/20/22
to rob....@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements

Noooooooooooooooooo.  This is terrible. How could it be possible. I am broken by the news.

He is a great safe rider. Don’t know what to said.

Please be safe.

Ernesto

Ernesto Montenero

Sustainable Technologies

1800 Orion ST. Alameda CA 94501

510-523-1122

https://sustech.cc/index.html

License #772329 A, C-10, HAZ, HIC, MBE, SBE,

A member of Bay Area Green Business and California Green Business Network

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Jenny Oh

May 20, 2022, 1:28:27 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I know that I wouldn't have finished PBP back in 2015 if not for Metin and his loving generosity.

Here's how he helped me at Dreux

I shuffled into the main dining hall practically comatose, yet I still managed to locate some familiar SFR faces in the back of the room: Eric L., Metin and Theresa. Kevin was there, too (and I apologized to him for my earlier surliness) and hey, so were Vinnie and Ian! Unable to say much, I zoned out in a useless haze, until Metin said to me paternal fashion, “All right, Jenny. If you’re not eating, you should be sleeping. Don’t just sit there.” I was still too keyed up from riding to rest, so I said I was going to head to the bathroom. He nodded in approval and after I returned, I put my head down on the table — unable to eat or act like a human being. Ian encouraged me to join the TPP again, but I knew I didn’t have it in me to hang with them. But Eric L. took pity on me and said he, Metin and Theresa were going at a slow pace, so I was welcome to join them.

It was less than 40 miles to the finish, but they were, without a doubt, the hardest miles I’d ever ridden in my life. Eric was an excellent pace-setter, even asking me if he was going too slowly or too fast. I hung on to his steady wheel and tried to forget the fact that I was still riding my bicycle. At least the sun was now up and the morning was helping me return to some form of semi-sentience. We caught up to Drew Buck and admired his tenacity for completing several PBPs on vintage bicycles.

Then it began to rain — a gentle sprinkling at first, then it grew more insistent. And it was a wasn’t warm, soothing summer rain either. We’d all just removed some layers and now we had to put them right back on to ward off the freezing cold raindrops. Then we hit the dreaded, aforementioned section of Rambouillet. My heels were throbbing, I couldn’t put any pressure on my knee so I was stuck in the saddle (and so my ass was screaming with pain) and I just had nothing left in me to climb any more hills. Eric and Theresa went on ahead, but Metin stayed back with me on his fixed gear, a calm, reassuring presence through the final hellish miles. While I felt like I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Metin kept talking to me, telling me we didn’t have far to go and had a good chunk of time in the bank — but that we still had to keep moving. Occasionally I’d stop and walk when I couldn’t take it any longer and he’d tell me, “It’s all right, do what you need to do.” I’d ask him, like a whiny child sitting in the back seat of a car during a long road trip, “How much further? Are there more hills?” It was so arduous and agonizing that I don’t think I could have finished without Metin urging me onwards to St. Quentin. About 4k from the finish, Ian flagged me down at the gate where a volunteer was directing riders onto a separate bike path. We had made it with two hours to spare, and he said, “Hey — come with us so we can cross the finish line together for Adrian Hands!” I turned to Metin and said, “I’m going to wait here a bit with them,” and thanked him, as best as I could, for his supreme act of mercy.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.21.18 AM.png

Always looking so fresh and cheerful, no matter where we were on a ride. Thank you, Metin.

With love,
Jenny

Dave Thompson

Gilles Bouchard

May 20, 2022, 1:30:29 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Devastating news, just stunned while reading the email from Rob. I can't think of a nicer person and more decent human being, some things just don't make any sense.

bobca...@gmail.com

May 20, 2022, 1:49:00 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Oh, poor Metin, and his poor family and... all of us who adored him...And that was everyone, I think.

He was a truly and deeply wonderful man. This is heartbreaking beyond measure.

Bob

Greg Merritt

May 20, 2022, 1:53:27 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Weekend before last I parked Metin's steel fixie, fed him, and chatted with him for a while there at the picnic at Crissy Field.

This otherwise-mundane memory has suddenly become simultaneously fleeting and precious to me.

With a sad heart,
-Greg

Gilles Bouchard

May 20, 2022, 2:08:22 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
This is what the local news said, and the location of the intersection  36.96428188383752, -76.69244414273246

ISLE OF WIGHT, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police are investigating a fatal crash that killed a bicyclist Thursday night in Isle of Wight County.

State police said they were called to the intersection of Foursquare Road and Magnet Drive around 6:15 p.m. Thursday for a report of a bicyclist who was hit by a car.

The bicyclist, 56-year-old Kamil Metin Uz, of Palo Alto, California, was riding southbound on Magnet Drive when he approached a stop sign. He didn’t stop and was hit by a 2010 Acura that was traveling westbound on Foursquare Road.

Uz was thrown off his bicycle. Uz died at the scene from his injuries. The driver of the car, a Smithfield resident, and his passenger were not injured. Police do not believe alcohol or speed contributed to the crash. No one will be charged

Ann Klein

May 20, 2022, 2:23:50 PM5/20/22
to w.drew....@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements, rob....@gmail.com
My heart is broken. Metin was such a dedicated and passionate rider.  Always kind to those of us “in the back.”

He will be remembered with love and the respect due to an athlete of his dedication and caliber.

Ann

Koss, Brian R. (ARC-RE)

May 20, 2022, 2:24:29 PM5/20/22
to gibou...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs

Was Metin riding with anybody at the time? I know we all make mistakes from time to time but I find this hard to believe. It is even more tragic because it makes it harder to make sense of give Metin’s attention to detail.

Brian

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Carlin Eng

May 20, 2022, 2:50:25 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Heartbreaking news. Metin was one of the people I looked forward to seeing at the start of every ride. Reliable, trustworthy, friendly, witty, wise, and much much more. A tremendous loss for this community and for the world.

DBC RBA

May 20, 2022, 3:10:39 PM5/20/22
to brian....@nasa.gov, gibou...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
All,
Details on Metin are scarce at this moment. Rob will get details from Hamid (RBA putting on Treasure Cove), and he is currently driving back from 3CR with Michael Chalfant and Bill Brier.  Have patience and things will unfold. In the meantime, let’s celebrate this wonderful person who many of us knew and spent time with on bicycle adventures.

One of my favorite set of memories was getting ready to ride La Ruta Loca 200k. Carlos had a set of “practice rides” and both Metin and I and a few others rode these. I never would have completed La Ruta if not for Metin. He told me that I needed to be in a few places by a certain time in order to get back to Crissy Field within the 13.5 hours. I’d roll into those checkpoints just as he was rolling out. He’d smile  and nod and continue on. He was there at Crissy Field when I completed LRL with 10 minutes to spare and I will forever be grateful to him for his encouragement and support. This is us at the Pavilion at the end of one of those practice rides.

RIP: Ride in Peace Metin.
Deb

Brian Koss

Jon Spangler

May 20, 2022, 3:32:48 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I am speechless. Metin was active on the Classic Rendezvous bike list because he loved and rode classic steel bikes,
so I knew him from both worlds. May he rest in peace and may we find comfort as we mourn his hard-to-explain and
sudden death.

Here is a direct link to the updated news story (with the copy) on WAVY-TV in Norfolk referenced in this thread:

"ISLE OF WIGHT, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police are investigating a fatal crash that killed a bicyclist Thursday night in Isle of Wight County.

State police said they were called to the intersection of Foursquare Road and Magnet Drive around 6:15 p.m. Thursday for a report of a bicyclist who was hit by a car.

The bicyclist, 56-year-old Kamil Metin Uz, of Palo Alto, California, was riding southbound on Magnet Drive when he approached a stop sign. He didn’t stop and was hit by a 2010 Acura that was traveling westbound on Foursquare Road.

Uz was thrown off his bicycle.

Uz died at the scene from his injuries.

The driver of the car, a Smithfield resident, and his passenger were not injured.

Police do not believe alcohol or speed contributed to the crash. No one will be charged."

by: Sarah Fearing - WAVY

Updated: May 19, 2022 / 11:31 PM EDT

Jon Spangler,

Alameda, CA USA

DJ Derose

May 20, 2022, 3:50:19 PM5/20/22
to san-francisco-randonneu...@googlegroups.com, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements
Devastating. A great guy.
Dave DeRose

Matt Pendleton

May 20, 2022, 4:04:44 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
That is shocking and heartbreaking news. I enjoyed riding with Metin on many brevets and he was a great rider and a great guy. So very sad to hear this.

Matt Pendleton

Joel

May 20, 2022, 4:10:00 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
So very, very sad. And a sad reminder of what is always possible every time we are out on the bike.

Metin bought several items from me last year - a pair of Honjo fenders, a new pair of Sidi shoes and a Rivendell bag - and picked them up at my house. I never got to ride with Metin when I was actively doing brevets - I wouldn’t have been able to stay with him anyway - but I will always remember his kind,  friendly and enthusiastic nature as he looked forward to using the items he picked up from me.

Vlad

May 20, 2022, 4:18:06 PM5/20/22
to brian....@nasa.gov, r...@davisbikeclub.org, gibou...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I am riding the Treasure Cove right now. ( into the second day) Last night I came onto the accident scene and I knew that is was serious because they blocked off traffic in all directions. Some of the other riders noted that there was a bicycle involved but police did not want to say anything.  They just rushed us along. We did not know if it was a rider with brevet. We did not know if the accident was fatal.

What was unexpected is that the accident happened in what seemed like a sleepy subdued town. No noise. No traffic. I would have expected an accident is some other sections of the ride, but this was unexpected.

It’s sad.
Vlad

Excuse the typos. sent from an autocorrecting gadget

Megan Arnold

May 20, 2022, 4:51:24 PM5/20/22
to gibou...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, brian....@nasa.gov
My first thought too - not stopping does NOT sound like Metin. He was one of the safest riders I know - always alert, aware of other riders and road users and road and weather conditions. Steady and strong, and as others have mentioned, a considerate and generous riding companion. Unflaggingly pleasant and even-keeled, even after many kilometers. And somehow, even in horrible weather or after a difficult mixed terrain route, he would look fresh as a daisy and whatever of his beautiful bikes he was riding would be spotless!

Besides rando he also rode many double centuries, and was involved in the vintage bike scene.

I've started an album with some photos from a few events that first came to mind, thinking about rides I was fortunate enough to do with him - it's set up so folks can add to it - please do, and any info about the event/location would be great. https://photos.app.goo.gl/eqJWRy6sWT1yU4GeA
9 new items added to shared album

and yes, this is beyond fucked up.

- Megan

May 20, 2022, 7:30:26 PM5/20/22
to Rob Hawks, SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements
This is absolutely terrible news! Like several others on this list, I have ridden dozens of brevets and thousands of miles with Metin over the last 5 or so years.
He was the one of the wisest and most strategic riders I've ever met. I felt I learned a little something from him on almost every one of our many outings.

Always prepared, kind-spirited, patient, and possessing a wry sense of humor, he was also a great riding companion and person.

His passing is a great loss for his family, the cycling community, and SFR.

And personally, I'm deeply saddened by the loss of one excellent riding buddy.

Metin, you will be missed!

Anson Moore

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Todd Teachout

May 20, 2022, 8:26:36 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Like everyone else I am shocked and saddened by this news.  Metin was such a great person and randonneur.   He is one of many people I got to know pretty well through Randonneuring and one I could relate to on many many levels.   I will miss him.  I hope there is a heaven and he is having better times than he had here.  His "accident" is yet another reminder that we all need to act reasonably, stay safe, and don't do stupid stuff.

Todd Teachout

PatCH

May 20, 2022, 9:26:58 PM5/20/22
to km6hf...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I am also on the ride right now. The news trickled out to some of us mid-ride today, and we were all shocked and terribly saddened. We consoled one another and spent quite some time at a control in each other’s company, offering support as best we could to those in our group who most needed it. We said a small prayer in Metin’s honour and filed out of the control silently when we were all ready, our hearts heavy at losing a kindred spirit.

—Patrick.

On May 20, 2022, at 8:26 PM, Todd Teachout <km6hf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Like everyone else I am shocked and saddened by this news.  Metin was such a great person and randonneur.   He is one of many people I got to know pretty well through Randonneuring and one I could relate to on many many levels.   I will miss him.  I hope there is a heaven and he is having better times than he had here.  His "accident" is yet another reminder that we all need to act reasonably, stay safe, and don't do stupid stuff.

jinu...@gmail.com

May 20, 2022, 10:00:01 PM5/20/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Ugh, absolutely devastating and heartbroken.  I always appreciated Metin’s kindness and friendliness, whether it was during a ride (PBP comes to mind) or in the morning right before Rob gets everything started.  I’m going to absolutely miss him.

Eric Larsen

May 21, 2022, 1:14:20 AM5/21/22
to jinu...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Yes, a tragic loss for all. Metin was such a presence and touched so many of us, often for many mile with good spirits, strong pedals and encouraging words. A very smart, kind and caring gentleman. A sad loss for us all.
Eric Larsen

Dave Thompson

May 21, 2022, 7:54:13 AM5/21/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
I'm traveling; heard this from Hamid as soon as he could get the word out and I passed it onto Rob and the RUSA Board.  Rob was good enough to get it out to his friends and the SF rando community.  I didn't know Metin personally but I see that he and I shared a 1200k at one point many years ago.  We are all shaken by the news.  My and the Board's condolences go out to his family, friends, Hamid & Shab and the riders still on the Treasure Cove 1200k.  Words fail at times like this ...  Dave.

Massimiliano Poletto

May 21, 2022, 9:48:50 AM5/21/22
to thomp...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Having trouble handling this. It's so hard to believe he wouldn't have stopped or at least slowed down to ensure the road was clear.

michaelpb...@gmail.com

May 21, 2022, 4:00:18 PM5/21/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Metin Uz was one of the nicest and most competent cyclists I ever had the privelege of riding with.  Reading this news yesterday was gut wrenching.  "Devastating" is absolutely the correct description of this news.

As Deb said: Ride in Peace, Metin.

bobca...@gmail.com

May 21, 2022, 6:21:35 PM5/21/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Max, it doesn't tie with my experience of Metin's riding either.

I looked at the satellite image of the site. I'm scratching my head about this because the actual stop looks like it's about 15 feet behind the intersection. There is a sort of wide sweeping entrance/merging space to the right turn that Metin would have used, one assumes.. And on the image, open fields are on all sides EXCEPT a stand of trees where presumably the car was coming from -- it doesn't look like they would have seen Metin because of the trees until he was nearly in the intersection. If the satellite photo is current -- and that's a big if -- even if Metin stopped at the intersection it was far enough back that he would have had to ride forward to see if the road was clear.  And because there's a kind of sweeping entrance on the right hand, the driver might have said he ran the stop sign when in fact he was moving far enough forward to see oncoming traffic. The road the car would have been on is narrow too. Metin could have been merging onto the road and the driver could have been too close on the right and hit him, saying Metin ran the sign. That's speculation and I hope we get more info. But the intersection satellite image leaves me with a lot of questions.

My concern is the accuracy of the police report because it could affect insurance payments to Metin's family. I hope he was with other riders who could both provide him comfort and who can confirm what happened. I hate to speculate, but I also hate to think of the consequences to Metin's family if the report isn't accurate.

Bob

Gary DelNero

May 21, 2022, 7:47:47 PM5/21/22
to bobca...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I had the same impression from streetview. I'm curious if this intersection is known to be more dangerous, even for cars pulling out. Westbound cars have very little time to see any vehicle heading south into the intersection. Speed, and a setting sun could contribute to a higher accident rate.
It's just hard to believe that an experienced rider would simply blow through a stop sign at a tee intersection with limited visibility. Maybe they need more signage, or need to remove a few trees. I just hope that's considered, before simply blaming the cyclist.

jinu...@gmail.com

May 21, 2022, 10:15:11 PM5/21/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Yeah looking at it, unless he was really drifting left on the left turn, how would the driver even know if a rider stopped at that stop sign.  Just feels like something doesn't add up here.

Koss, Brian R. (ARC-RE)

May 22, 2022, 12:57:47 PM5/22/22
to bobca...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, gary.d...@sbcglobal.net
I’m waiting for more information. If he was riding with others than it is a tragic mistake. If not and he was alone, the story doesn’t fit with his riding style. Metin was meticulous in his actions. If the driver was distracted the could have crossed the line and hit him on the shoulder and thrown him into the road or at least the direction he would have been thrown if he made the mistake. Bottom line, I don’t believe it.?

Brian

Todd Teachout

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "San Francisco Randonneurs" group.

[...]

Mike Hrast

May 22, 2022, 5:53:30 PM5/22/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs

Just so sad to hear this and comprehend how this could happen. He was such an unassuming person. His smile and humor will be missed but not forgotten.

Rob Hawks

May 22, 2022, 6:58:37 PM5/22/22
to Megan Arnold, San Francisco Randonneurs
Megan,

Thanks for beginning that album.

I would like to urge everyone to add photos, as Megan suggests, to that album and to add captions and notes. Whether you do or do not have photos to share of Metin, please also consider sharing stories of your time with Metin for the rest of us to read. Jenny got that rolling with her story of Metin's support on PBP 2015. I'm sure there must be many, many more.

I've posted a few photos on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/CdzmTP6O-Wb/) that are a mix of randonneuring and non-rando rides I was fortunate to share with Metin. I'll add these to Megan's album.

As RUSA's RBA Liaison, I have not yet had a chance to talk with the RBA hosting the brevet where this tragedy occurred. Therefore I don't have any new facts to share. In the meantime, let's not begin speculating about the circumstances when we have no idea what truly led to this heartbreaking outcome. (I know for a fact that this speculation is very hard for some of his closest rando friends to read.)

Thanks,
rob hawks

C. Duque

May 23, 2022, 1:01:10 PM5/23/22
to Rob Hawks, Megan Arnold, San Francisco Randonneurs
I added a few more photos to the album Megan started https://photos.app.goo.gl/eqJWRy6sWT1yU4GeA

Carlos

Megan Arnold

May 24, 2022, 12:44:47 PM5/24/22
to C. Duque, Rob Hawks, San Francisco Randonneurs
Thank you, Carlos (and everyone else who has contributed) - one of your pictures reminded me, didn't he also run? Like, marathons? So accomplished, yet so unassuming.

Rob Hawks

May 24, 2022, 12:47:07 PM5/24/22
to Megan Arnold, C. Duque, San Francisco Randonneurs
Yes, he did. He was in one of the trips qe rmtook to ride Tioga Pass in the Fall. The day after thatc100 miler he then went trail running (at 6500')

Rob

Rob Hawks

May 24, 2022, 12:49:18 PM5/24/22
to Megan Arnold, C. Duque, San Francisco Randonneurs
Sorry for all the typos. Aging eyes.

Rob

Kimber Guzik

May 24, 2022, 1:04:33 PM5/24/22
to Megan Arnold, C. Duque, Rob Hawks, San Francisco Randonneurs
After I posted a hike on Strava from the Rhus Ridge trailhead to the top of Mt. Black, Metin commented that the first mile was incredibly steep, and difficult.
I replied that while it was steep, it was nothing compared to the last section, the final climb to the peak.
"True" he replied, "but I take it as a given that I'll walk that section. Rhus Ridge feels like I should be able to run it, but I'm out of breath after a couple of minutes."

I was blown away. It's a very tough hike for me, and he was running it!

Dan

May 24, 2022, 1:44:58 PM5/24/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
One of the most incredible accomplishments I've ever seen: in 2020 he and a friend rode/hiked from Death Valley to the summit of Mt. Whitney in a single day!

-Dan P

C. Duque

May 24, 2022, 3:21:12 PM5/24/22
to Kimber Guzik, Megan Arnold, Rob Hawks, San Francisco Randonneurs
Yes, Metin also ran. The couple of photos of him running that I posted are from the time we rode our bikes to the bottom of Railroad Grade, locked my bike and ran to the top of Mt Tam and back down, taking turns riding his bike. The bike rider would go ahead and ride a set distance, lock the bike for the runner to get it and then the bike rider will catch up with the runner, pass him, lock the bike at the designated point... repeat. It worked out great because he was a faster rider but I was a faster runner. It was lots of fun and we both promised to repeat it sometime... but we didn't. I have a lot of good memories from Metin.

I have on my everyday bike a set of brand new Velocity deep V rims and spokes he just passed on to me because he knew I used 26" wheels and he had them but was not going to use them. Very gentle, generous and had a great sense of humor, that is my memory of him.

Carlos

Megan Arnold

May 24, 2022, 7:40:37 PM5/24/22
to C. Duque, Kimber Guzik, Rob Hawks, San Francisco Randonneurs
How cool! A ride and tie, but with a bike instead of a horse. Great story, thank you so much for sharing.

Megan

Sourav Das

May 25, 2022, 12:33:56 AM5/25/22
to C. Duque, San Francisco Randonneurs
Hey Carlos - Did you guys do the same on the way down? I'd imagine the bike rider would have to wait around a while for the runner then.

Metin told me he used to be a competitive swimmer in grad school. He had been a runner all this while but he took it up a notch during the pandemic with some pretty big solo runs up to Skyline and back on Windy Hill and Foothills Preserve. He was even considering doing some triathlons and had built up a TT bike. I think that's the reason why he could relate to athletes from various disciplines. He was equally at ease with the fat tire front basket crowd as well as the aerobars crowd.

Sourav