Garmin Varia

Rob Hawks

Mar 19, 2024, 7:02:38 PMMar 19
to SF Randonneurs
Interested in hearing from randonneurs who have this or similar items (unit that gives you info on cars approaching from the rear). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this with my REI rebate, but wanted more input first.

If you have this, do you like it? Was it worth it? How big of a deal has it been for you?

Thanks
rob

Travis Ruth

Mar 19, 2024, 7:08:14 PMMar 19
to rob....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Hi Rob,

I've got the Varia radar + light. I use it connected to a Wahoo GPS.

It's great. I won't ride without one anymore. It gives me a bit of info, but it also flashes at fastly approaching vehicles. By default the head unit would beep every time there's a car behind but I found that very annoying and turned the sound off.

Battery life isn't great for randonneuring. It lasts about 6 hours with the light on low.

Travis

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Noah Swartz

Mar 19, 2024, 7:13:05 PMMar 19
to travi...@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
AIUI there's a video one and a radar one, from what I've heard the radar one works better
But as always, it's good to read DCRainmaker's detailed review on these things: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/garmin-rtl515-rvr315-cycling-radar-review.html

JinUk Shin

Mar 19, 2024, 7:43:11 PMMar 19
to swar...@gmail.com, travi...@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I have the ebike specific one which I used during PBP.  It costs a bit more unfortunately but fits our use case much better.  I was able to use a 10kmah battery and run it for the entirety of PBP.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/874099

The difference is:

1. It does not have its own internal battery. There are different connectivity options (I'd use the USB-C option)
2. It only mounts via 2bolt, but it comes with a Flange adapter so you can mount it using the Garmin Quarter-Turn capability.

In actual use, its slightly more sensitive than the regular Varia (detects cars a little farther).

The regular Varia can also run off battery; the issue is that the battery connection can get lose and cause your Varia to randomly turn off.  I was using this option for a long time until the e-bike specific Varia came out.

Mike Sturgill

Mar 19, 2024, 7:48:28 PMMar 19
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

I have the Varia RTL515. It's the best piece of kit I've ever purchased for cycling. It's incredibly accurate. I connect it to my Wahoo and it shows me up to 6 approaching vehicles at a time. Here are some of my favorite capabilities.

1) It gives me an audible and visual alert in addition to the approaching vehicle line. The audible/visual alerts have 2 colors and sounds which tell you the relative speed of the approaching vehicle(s).
2) It's extremely good at discerning cars from bicycles. I think there needs to be ~5 mph delta between you speed and the approaching vehicle speed. So, you can see bike approaching until they get on your wheel at the same speed, then they disappear.
3) It's also amazingly sensitive to approaching vehicle when you have a lot of riders behind you.
4) Battery life for me has been in the 12-15 hour timeframe. Some things that shorten the battery life is cold (<40 degrees) weather. Lots of approaching vehicles (i.e. riding on a freeway shoulder) because the flash speed goes up whenever a vehicle approaches. This is to alert the vehicle. On relatively quiet roads, I almost always get 14-15 hours of battery life
5) I can also plug it into an external battery while running. I have a small lipstick battery that I Velcro to my tube for any ride over 200 miles. That will double the battery life.
6) It charges insanely quickly. I have, on occasion, plugged it into a small battery that I always carry in my top tube bag. I once got a "low battery warning" and rode for 1.5 hours to a control. The Radar still functioned. I plugged it into my battery for the 15 minutes that I was at the control. It took me an additional 3 hours to complete the ride and I didn't receive an additional low battery warning.

I should also say that my chosen mode of operation is flash mode. This maximizes battery life to what I've quoted above. I also turn it off at every control while I'm there. Again, to maximize battery life. I think the newer ones (mine is ~3 yrs old) have a "sleep" (not sure if that's the correct term) function. When connected to the computer, the computer can tell the Varia to go to sleep. This happens, for example, when the rider stops. I saw this functionality on a new Varia with a Garmin 1040.

Anyway, I think you'll love it!
-Mike

Francois Clement

Mar 19, 2024, 7:58:34 PMMar 19
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Hi Rob,
I've been a Varia user since the RTL 500, the rectangular version, and find them very useful. I added the RTL 515 a few years ago and use both all the time.
I have the radar/light paired with Garmin Edge 1030, 1040 and a watch. For the most part they are accurate, though there's an occasional false target (one location near the Apple campus) or not sensing a vehicle that moves in range from the side at your speed. In city traffic the beeping can get annoying however on the lightly traveled or back roads and descents the beeping is a good thing. I do have bar end mirrors and use them to confirm traffic approaching.

Battery life dependent on the light mode and the amount of traffic over time. I've had anywhere from 5hrs to 9hrs of life on a single charge on brevets. On the RTL 515 you can plug in a USB battery pack (mirco USB) and power the radar/light so battery life can be nearly limitless.

There are a few software features on the Edge head units that allow you to control the type of light pattern or to even disable the light yet still have the radar functionality. The other is a Garmin IQ app called "My Bike Radar Traffic". It's a data field that can be configured to display the number of vehicles that have passed, the speed at which they are approaching (relative and/or actual), speed of last and distance. The app will also write that data to the FIT file so you have a record of the data. Info about the app available from the Garmin IQ store https://www.mybiketraffic.com/about/

The manner I use my radar/lights on brevets is usually with the light off and radar on as I have a Cygolite tail light as the primary light. That'll allow me to get the longest battery life from the unit. Since I have two units I'll have the second as a spare for when the first one dies. On the longer brevets/rides I may bring a battery back-up and cables for the unit and my phone to recharge when needed.

Francois

Joshua Haley

Mar 19, 2024, 9:06:36 PMMar 19
to travi...@gmail.com, Rob Hawks, San Francisco Randonneurs
Same experience as Travis. I hook mine up to a battery bank and can get a decent time out of it. However, if the wire is loose it will turn it off, and it's not water resistant while charging. So on sunny days, I'll leave it on. Rainy days I usually save it for when I'm riding solo.

Josh

Howard Zabell

Mar 19, 2024, 11:39:52 PMMar 19
to rob....@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs
Hi Rob,

I have been using the RTL515 for the past 4 years or so and love it. I have paired it with both a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and Garmin Edge 1040 solar, and found both to play well with this unit. Max battery life is in flash mode, but I'm mindful of using that when in a group. Battery life is 5-8 hours depending on traffic levels, and I charge on the fly with a portable charger as needed on longer brevets. I supplement this with a dynamo powered tailight and a small portable chargeable rear light for triple redundancy.

In a nutshell- well worth it, highly recommended.

Howard

Roland Bevan

Mar 20, 2024, 1:41:53 AMMar 20
to Rob Hawks, SF Randonneurs
Like everyone else said - just get it. Only problem is you'll never want to ride without it (at least on road).
  -Roland

Rob Hawks

Mar 20, 2024, 12:08:01 PMMar 20
to Roland Bevan, SF Randonneurs
Should be picking it up today.

DCRainmaker chided Garmin for not using usb-c ("c'mon Garmin, you can do it!") and other comments mentioned the on-bike charging issues. I see not much has changed since I had a Garmin 810. The 810 at that time was an improvement in that one could charge while using, but when you disconnected the external battery, the device automatically went into shutdown mode.

I'm eager to see if I will fall into the same category as those that called the device a gamechanger and they don't want to go without.

rob

mitch.i...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2024, 2:00:29 PMMar 20
to San Francisco Randonneurs
+1 on using the e-bike version of Garmin Varia eRTL615 with the add-on USB-C cable. I held off on purchasing the Varia with built-in battery as I wanted something that would last the longest brevet I would use it on. The run-time is only limited by the size of battery I plug into it. As a reference, I have used it on solid red for 10 hours with all four charge level dots on the Anker still lit. The Garmin cable connector is water tight and the USB-C extension cable can be made water tight with electrical tape.

Eric Larsen

Mar 20, 2024, 3:59:37 PMMar 20
to mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Question: do you want to ride behind one? (e.g. is the light blinking and blinding the rider behind you?) Just wondering.
Eric

mitch.i...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2024, 4:05:16 PMMar 20
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Good point. That's also the benefit of the eRTL615 with an external battery pack. I have it configured for steady on and don't have to worry about the external battery running out of power because of that. It's easy to change the flash mode on my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus in the menus when I want a different mode.

cheers,
Mitch

lisa charlebois

Mar 20, 2024, 4:26:48 PMMar 20
to ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
@Eric Larsen - I'm 100000% with you.

Riding behind these lights a living nightmare. 99% of the time the user doesn't switch it to peloton mode, so it's flashing in your eyes. And beyond irritating on long brevets. Not to mention the endless beeping from the car alarm that goes off non-stop.

I have one...and only use it on solo rides on country roads in Ottawa. I get the benefit, but oof, not a fan.

My two-cents that no one asked for ;)
cheers
lisa

ken jessett

Mar 20, 2024, 5:48:01 PMMar 20
to lisa.ch...@gmail.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I can sense cars coming up behind me, I would never want any device that clouds my innate ability to use all my senses.

Ken J.
RUSA# 3759

Eric Norris

Mar 20, 2024, 6:30:22 PMMar 20
to lisa.ch...@gmail.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Amen to that. I’ve been complaining for years about the results of the “taillight arms race” and the super-bright lights that make it impossible to ride behind many bikes at night.

I understand the mindset that says that a superbright taillight is more visible and makes you “safer” at night. But I believe that there’s a point beyond which added brightness doesn’t really make one safer. Taillights are only one part of an overall nighttime safety strategy, and they shouldn’t be overemphasized.

Lee Mitchell, the very well-known supporter of NorCal cycling who probably spent as much time as anyone alive driving behind bicycles at night, once told me that the most visible piece of reflective gear is an ankle band. The combination of reflectivity and the distinctive up/down motion helps drivers notice you and identifies you as a bike.

Want a brighter taillight for use in the day? Get a separate one for day and a less bright light for nighttime, or choose a light from Portland Design Works (or others) that has a day/night setting.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

Rob Hawks

Mar 20, 2024, 7:53:52 PMMar 20
to campyo...@me.com, lisa.ch...@gmail.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Too bad that the Varia doesn't have a solid mode, or a low setting, or, a version without a light! Someone should tell Garmin to consider that.

rob

Message has been deleted

Noah Swartz

Mar 20, 2024, 8:01:53 PMMar 20
to Rob Hawks, Eric Norris, Lisa Charlebois, Eric Larsen, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
A lot to consider

For contrast I rode with someone yesterday who had one and it was a very reasonable brightness, but I can't say with confidence which version it was or if it was in peleton mode or not. But it leads me to believe that every offending light likely has a mode that is tolerable for other riders while still bright enough to alert drivers.

mitch.i...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2024, 8:09:10 PMMar 20
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Reposting without email thread burying the attachments.
From the Garmin Varia eRTL615 manual (see attached below)... can I get a "what? what?"

cheers,
Mitch
Garmin Varia eRTL615 Device Overview.png
Garmin Varia eRTL615 Light Modes.png

Francois Clement

Mar 20, 2024, 8:18:35 PMMar 20
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Rob there is a version without the light https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/669024/pn/010-02252-00
The battery life is rated at 7hrs and I'm not sure if it works with an external battery connected.
The RTL515 battery and light output specs are here https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001/pn/010-02376-00#specs

Francois

richar...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2024, 11:41:25 PMMar 20
to campyo...@me.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs

Great point Eric! I recall doing the Central Coast Double and Lee driving past for support and commenting on my ankle bands

The other point is having different levels of illumination.

It’s best to have:

  1. Helmet taillight
  2. Bike frame taillight
  3. Ankle bands (required by state law)

I recall when doing a brevet in Japan that it was mandatory for riders to have a helmet taillight

Always lots of opinions – But I also can’t  ride close behind an over  bright taillight.

Richard McCaw

408-838-9863

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 20, 2024, 11:51:09 PMMar 20
to smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I have the RTL 515 and like others, have been very satisfied with it. While I had no big expectations, it is a helpful aid. By no means does it replace looking over your shoulder when turning. It actually detects cars much further back than I can see with a quick glance, so I always check the radar then look over my shoulder. It’s really nice to be alerted of cars well before you can hear or see them but in city traffic the audible alerts are too annoying.

A couple of complaints are it would be nice if there was a switch or control to easily turn off/on audible alerts. I keep the sound off most of the time. It would also be nice to have a radar only mode for longer battery life. I’ve gone 11 1/2 hours before getting a low battery warning.

Bill Brier

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

JinUk Shin

Mar 20, 2024, 11:54:30 PMMar 20
to wbr...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, smiling....@gmail.com
The 515 runs while charging the problem being it turns off when the light is unplugged.  You can imagine this being an issue but it did fine for me like this through 2021-2022.  Easy to just reach back and turn it back on.

Mike Hrast

Mar 21, 2024, 10:35:21 AMMar 21
to jinu...@gmail.com, wbr...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, smiling....@gmail.com
I have an older model that was given to me I have no room to mount this on my seat post. So I carry it in my middle pocket of my jersey and works fairly well but it would be good to know if others have the mounting issue and their solution. Photos would help as well

Mike

ps; how did this impact the battery life of your computer
Sent from my iPhone

Tim Beloney

Mar 21, 2024, 11:57:42 AMMar 21
to rob....@gmail.com, campyo...@me.com, lisa.ch...@gmail.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Haha I see what you did there!

Also too bad you can’t turn the volume off!

Tim Beloney

JinUk Shin

Mar 21, 2024, 12:25:04 PMMar 21
to timbe...@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, campyo...@me.com, lisa.ch...@gmail.com, ciren...@gmail.com, mitch.i...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Regarding the other discussion happening in this thread, the lights on the Varia are quite subtle and not overly bright.  Not sure why that popped up.

And regarding this somehow "cloud[ing] your innate ability to use all of my senses", that's absolutely innane.

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 2:20:33 PMMar 21
to Mike Hrast, jinu...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs, smiling....@gmail.com
I mounted mine on the back of my saddle bag using a KOM Cycling Saddle Bag Clip Mount. Also bought a saddle bag with a built-in mount. Ideally the radar should be mounted high enough to not get interference from the rear tire.

Bill Brier
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.15.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.16.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.15.54 AM.png

Robert Sexton

Mar 21, 2024, 3:41:53 PMMar 21
to smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I run my 515 with the light off.    I get enough runtime for a 300k.

I turn off the audible alerts in the garmin and use the screen alert only.

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Robert Sexton

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 4:08:28 PMMar 21
to rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Sounds like you can turn off the light from the Garmin head unit leaving the radar on. This is not available from a Wahoo (that I know of) and the button on the light only has three options, none of which are radar with light off.

Bill Brier

Steve Saeedi

Mar 21, 2024, 4:13:44 PMMar 21
to wbr...@gmail.com, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Often out of simplicity I turn off the radar light from the button on top. It cycles through Solid - Heartbeat - Blinking, and then off.

Steve

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 4:41:25 PMMar 21
to Steve Saeedi, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I think you mean "standby mode" which does turn off the light but also turns off car detection.

Bill Brier

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.37.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.28.45 PM.png

Steve Saeedi

Mar 21, 2024, 5:01:34 PMMar 21
to Bill Brier Jr., rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I use a Garmin head unit, with the light off, it still detects individual vehicles approaching. Is the firmware version on yours up to date?

Steve

<Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.37.56 PM.png><Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.28.45 PM.png>

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 5:04:00 PMMar 21
to Steve Saeedi, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I'll try updating the FW. Are you turning the light off from the light button or the Garmin head unit light mode settings?

Bill Brier

Steve Saeedi

Mar 21, 2024, 5:31:45 PMMar 21
to Bill Brier Jr., rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
From the top button on the light.

Steve

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 6:12:17 PMMar 21
to Steve Saeedi, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I updated the software and the radar still disconnects when the light is turned off from the light button. Sounds like there are more controls from the Garmin head unit, as opposed to using a Wahoo.

Bill

JinUk Shin

Mar 21, 2024, 6:52:40 PMMar 21
to wbr...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
If you pair with your phone, you may abe able to get the feature being mentioned.  I believe its dual connect so it can connect to both your phone and your head unit.

JInUk

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 21, 2024, 7:00:19 PMMar 21
to JinUk Shin, Steve Saeedi, rob...@kudra.com, smiling....@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I did pair with my phone and upon going into standby mode, the radar (bluetooth) disconnected.

Bill Brier

Ernesto Montenero

Mar 21, 2024, 7:01:06 PMMar 21
to San Francisco Randonneurs

Since I was hit by a car from behind 10 years ago; I ride with a mirror.  I would not ride without one.  It is very rare that I don’t see a car that is coming from behind.

It does not require any charging, moves with me on any bike that I ride and it costs very little.

I like the take-a-look mirror mounted on the helmet.

Ernesto

Ernesto Montenero

Sustainable Technologies

1367 Willow St. Oakland CA 94607

510-523-1122

https://sustech.cc/index.html

License #772329 A, C-10, HAZ, HIC, MBE, SBE,

A member of Bay Area Green Business and California Green Business Network

Mar 21, 2024, 7:04:03 PMMar 21
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
I have an older RTL515 and have the same functionality as Bill has described. I ride with someone with a newer device and he is able to run it with no taillight but with the radar capability. So, it may be an improvement on newer devices, but I'm not certain. The device description pages should describe the current functionality.

-Mike in Phoenix

paul

Mar 21, 2024, 7:18:58 PMMar 21
to mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
I actually didn't realise the 515 had this capability until I got a battery critical alert on the Healdsburg 300k and the light switched off, but the radar continued working. After a bit of research, it seems this can only be configured from a device that has ANT+ light mode separate from ANT+ Radar mode which Garmin head units have but Wahoo doesn't. Also the Garmin Varia app doesn't appear to have any way to set the light mode at all.

Cheers,
Paul

Rob Hawks

Mar 21, 2024, 7:24:54 PMMar 21
to pa...@sfr24.sbrk.co.uk, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
Hypothetical question: Since more than one device can connect to the Varia, is it possible for someone with a garmin head unit to also connect to someone else's Varia, set it to radar/no light, and then drop off of the connection?

I just set up my Varia, to be run with a Wahoo Bolt V2. Toggling through the settings to standby mode will kill a connection in that mode. Garmin Connect mobile and the Varia App each do not have any control over light settings.

rob

paul

Mar 21, 2024, 7:30:36 PMMar 21
to Rob Hawks, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
I believe that should be possible. The light profile is separate from the radar profile. I do have two Edge devices and could test this by connecting one as radar and the other as a light. Can do that this evening if nobody beats me to it.

Cheers,
Paul

Bumha Lee

Mar 21, 2024, 8:06:06 PMMar 21
to pa...@sfr24.sbrk.co.uk, Rob Hawks, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
Yes it could be. Garmin edge 830, varia and bontrager RT 200 front light are what I use.
First of all, both RT200 and Varia are to be added to edge 830.
There are few light options, I use high visibility for longest running time. You can individually change its modes. If you want to go back your default mode then click cancel option.
Varia radar function still works when its light being turned off through edge 830. But it won’t when light being turned off by cycling light modes manually, clicking Varia power button. See the video clip attached below.
Video.mov

Roland Bevan

Mar 21, 2024, 11:58:16 PMMar 21
to Ernesto Montenero, San Francisco Randonneurs
Ernesto, I ride with two mirrors on the bent and do not have to move my head to see behind me, but we do not ride looking behind us and I have been buzzed several times with no clue until it's already happened. The Varia is always looking behind and will let you know when you should double check yourself. In addition the light flashes to let drivers know that it sees them so they may think twice about that close pass.
  -Roland

paul

Mar 22, 2024, 12:09:24 AMMar 22
to pa...@sfr24.sbrk.co.uk, Rob Hawks, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
I did test this with my 830 and 1040. This was unbelievably complicated, if not just plain buggy. It seems if you scan for the Varia it can appear as a light or as a radar device. I can connect both my devices to it simultaneously as a radar device, but only one at a time as a light. I read somewhere that the light needs to be paired but the radar is unpaired, i.e. it's more like a HRM where the device just broadcasts its sensor input, but the light is controllable target so needs to be paired to a single controlling head unit. If you switch the Varia to pairing mode it can be added to the head unit and shows up as a radar device, or a light device, but irrespective, on a garmin head unit at least, it appears in the sensors as both. It's just that sometimes it doesn't detect that the Varia is connected as a light, but only as a radar. If you finally succeed as seeing it in your light network, then you'll see the battery level, and will be able to set the light mode to off, where the radar still works.

So to answer Rob's question, yes, you could probably be a Varia samaritan and pair someone else's device to yours so you can set their light mode to off, but the rest of the randonneurs might be half way to finishing the brevet by the time you've configured it. If you set it up in the pub the night before, then in the morning you could meet up and start off pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Paul

ken jessett

Mar 22, 2024, 1:14:35 PMMar 22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Roland, getting buzzed by vehicles is worrying and when I am riding in the UK - as I will be again a few weeks from now - this happens a lot, but riding in Texas I have to say drivers on the country roads are among the most considerate I have come across and they nearly always make sure to pass well over on the other side or wait until it is clear to do so. Riding in town however is something else and is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ken J
RUSA# 3759

Rob Hawks

Mar 29, 2024, 12:02:24 PMMar 29
to paul, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
Some of you may know this already, but Wahoo released an update very recently that among other things added music controls *and* remote light control. It is the latter that relates to this exchange on the Varia.

I've updated my Wahoo and did a very, very brief test this morning. I have not done a full test, and haven't checked to see if someone much, much smarter than me has posted an explainer to Youtube, so take my notes here as incomplete.

With your Varia on and your Wahoo on, if you hit the left side (power) button to get settings, the light control comes up at the top and offers the ability to remotely turn off and on your Varia (and other remote lights. Apparently there is a model of Magic Shine headlight that works here too.) Turning the Varia *light* off appears to put the unit into what might be the standby mode. However, turning the light off remotely did *not* drop the radar display from the screen. If you cycle through the modes of the Varia using the button on the top of the Varia, the radar display will disappear when you get to standby mode, so I *think* the Wahoo can successfully just turn off the light but leave the radar working. I'm going to test this on my ride home from work today.

If anyone reading this message knows of a youtube video that covers the Wahoo update in detail, please post a follow up here. Also, anyone that further along in testing than I got, can you follow up too please?

rob

Carlin Eng

Mar 29, 2024, 12:12:50 PMMar 29
to rob....@gmail.com, paul, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
GPLama is my usual YouTube source for device firmware information. He put out a video on the Wahoo updates a few days ago. I haven't watched it since I don't have a Wahoo, but maybe it has some of what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POPQJMwAFCw

Rob Hawks

Mar 29, 2024, 12:23:36 PMMar 29
to Carlin Eng, paul, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carlin, I haven't watched the entire video yet (too noisy here at the shop to hear the audio), but I already know it will provide a lot of insight, and I suspect there are even more controls than I thought so this is great.

I notice that the same Youtuber also has a video on the Dark Mode which I want to watch too.

Really great timing for me on the rollout of these features.

rob

Steve Saeedi

Mar 29, 2024, 12:25:30 PMMar 29
to San Francisco Randonneurs

timbeloney.gmail.com

Mar 29, 2024, 12:32:48 PMMar 29
to sae...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I wasn't aware of this and I have both Wahoo and Garmin Varia rear. This is excellent. I also like GP Lama's reviews and info. Thanks for the heads up!

Tim Beloney

Drew Levitt

Mar 29, 2024, 12:38:27 PMMar 29
to timbe...@gmail.com, sae...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Not Varia-specific but this latest Wahoo firmware update is reminding me to say how much I like my Elemnt Bolt v2. It was pretty good when I bought it in late 2021 but the steady stream of feature updates, bug fixes, and performance improvements since then have turned it into a really phenomenal tool. One less-than-obvious (but hugely helpful, to me) feature they recently added is the ability to wirelessly sync planned workouts from intervals.icu.

I realize that in general, Wahoo tends to lag behind Garmin in the range of features available, but the gap has narrowed so much as to be imperceptible (to me, given my needs and habits) and I continue to find the Wahoo interface to be superior to Garmin's. A+++++ would buy again, as they say on eBay.

Drew

--
Drew Levitt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Doug Williams

Mar 29, 2024, 12:48:40 PMMar 29
to Drew Levitt, timbe...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, San Francisco Randonneurs
I bought a Garmin 1040 solar to guide me through the Orr Springs 600 in '22 and the thing is hot garbage.  The interface is terrible, it barely does the main thing I need it to do, lags and crashes all the time, I don't understand how they aren't being charged with a crime for how much money they ask for this thing.  The battery life/solar charging is rad though.

Steve Saeedi

Mar 29, 2024, 1:08:15 PMMar 29
to Doug Williams, Drew Levitt, timbe...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Doug, I assume you’ve pushed all the latest firmware updates to the 1040? That particular unit has been my most reliable Garmin to date. The 1040 I used for Solvang Spring double century last year without any issues.

Steve

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 9:32 AM timbeloney.gmail.com <timbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wasn't aware of this and I have both Wahoo and Garmin Varia rear. This is excellent. I also like GP Lama's reviews and info. Thanks for the heads up!

Tim Beloney

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 9:25 AM Steve Saeedi <sae...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like Wahoo has added some features for lights

Doug Williams

Mar 29, 2024, 1:11:02 PMMar 29
to Steve Saeedi, Drew Levitt, timbe...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Indeed, all the reviews say it's MUCH improved in both the ease of use of the interface and reliability compared to previous version.  How has the cycling community tolerated this for so long?  Some serious Stockholm syndrome going on here.

-Doug

JinUk Shin

Mar 29, 2024, 1:28:10 PMMar 29
to ther...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, Drew Levitt, timbe...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I've been using it since early last year and its been extremely reliable.

Bill Brier Jr.

Mar 29, 2024, 2:22:19 PMMar 29
to carl...@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, paul, mikest...@cox.net, sfra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the video link. It was helpful in demonstrating the new functionality.

The light control now works great on the Wahoo. I wasn't aware of this but it explains how/why my music suddenly appeared on the Wahoo the other day. In testing you need to start a ride to be able to toggle the light on/off and when you end a ride the light turns off but it does not turn off the radar. It appears to be in "standby mode". So you may still want to manually power off the radar unit.

Bill Brier

Bill Brier

ken jessett

Apr 2, 2024, 12:07:46 PMApr 2
to JinUk Shin, ther...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, Drew Levitt, timbe...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
The only use I put my Wahoo to is miles ridden and review the historic data of a ride.
 Trying to read turns is impossible unless I carry a magnifying glass. I create routes and print cue sheets which I attach to my handlebars just the way we used to in the horse and cart era.
I did have a stand-by cell phone to carry the ridewithgps routes but gave that up to revert to my stone age cues.

Sourav Das

Apr 2, 2024, 12:56:46 PMApr 2
to ther...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Garmin's unwillingness to make significant improvements may be driven by the fact that outdoors constitute a very small part of their business as their earnings suggest (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/investors/earnings/). Within outdoors, I would anecdotally say they have a dominant share of the market for runners and swimmers. So there is very little motivation from a corporate standpoint to invest in improvements in cycling equipment. That also makes conditions ripe for a new entity to significantly disrupt that market which Wahoo and Hammerhead should capitalize on.

Sourav

alan...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2024, 8:36:57 PMApr 4
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Hi Rob & Group,

Just joined today.  I did recently in Jan 2024, purchase the Varia RTL515 after owning some other 60 LUM eco flashing LED lights that can switch as WHITE for headlamp and RED as tail-light (its made by blackburn.. it was cheap).  As for the Varia, great purchase.  Mine is hard mounted to my seat rail using the provided adapter and GoPro mount swivel extension for a proper and secure fit.

- it does everything others mention in regard to audible alerts and visual alerts in both graphic of number of vehicles to color coding for category of speeds of vehicle approaching.
- I have the Karoo 2 unit mated to the Varia unit which is where I get the visual and audible alerts.
- I'm not familiar with control from a Garmin headunit but the control and functions from the Karoo 2 is quick, intuitive to use and setup.  There are setting to alter the startup of the Varia so you can choose the four lighting mode (solid high & low, flashing slow or flashing rapid) and the mute altogether.  I still don't quite get why the flashing fast provides the most usage time.

Honestly I was skeptical but now I have it on my Dogma F10 replace those other low LUM lights I was using, the audible and visual really provide a sense of my surrounding without me looking back every time.  I would say in heavy traffic such as Sausalito blvd ?? toward Mill Valley, the unit is just going off like crazy but you already know there's car.   I saw other video on Youtube before deciding on purchasing it and there was one where the gentleman describe the best use is when you venture into more quiet roads.. i.e. say the road on Paradise Loop that while you are all focus in your ride, this little gadget keeps that third pairs of eyes behind you.

I read some of the reply and agree that this probably isn't good for extremely long distance riding.  The power usage is fairly great so someone would have to run a dynamo and covert power to DC and equally distribute it to all of your gadget like this unit to keep it running longer.  For things falling within a 4 hour window (guessing that's about 45 - 55 miles of riding for me) it should work fine.  Maybe the unit without the lights may have longer battery life.

On a thought here, I guess I can disable the unit remotely from my Karoo 2 head unit until I into more quiet open areas where this would be more helpful.

Looking for to meeting you all on a ride in the future.

AlanT
On Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 4:02:38 PM UTC-7 rob hawks wrote:
Interested in hearing from randonneurs who have this or similar items (unit that gives you info on cars approaching from the rear). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this with my REI rebate, but wanted more input first.

If you have this, do you like it? Was it worth it? How big of a deal has it been for you?

Thanks
rob

alan...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2024, 8:04:46 PMApr 18
to San Francisco Randonneurs
News today that Trek has a similar unit out.  Here’s the YouTube advertising on it.  Maybe they will provide more functions and integration than the Garmin unit.

Alan T