perm routes north?

John Ellis

Jul 2, 2024, 5:35:49 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 2
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Hi Everyone,

We will be in the Sausalito / Tiburon area for a few days, and I wonder if you have favorite nearby short perms (100k+) you could recommend.

Thanks!
-john lee

Rob Hawks

Jul 2, 2024, 5:38:04 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 2
to jell...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Just fyi, John Lee is the RBA for CO: Boulder and will be visiting here soon, so is less familiar with routes, place names, etc. here.

I'm hoping someone on the list has RUSA perm suggestions for him.

rob hawks

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/

Noah Swartz

Jul 2, 2024, 5:53:40 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 2
to rob....@gmail.com, jell...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Jake Kassen's route search is really the ideal tool for this https://rusa.jkassen.org/geosearch/
That said the San Rafael Marshall Lollipop looks like a great route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42533909

Drew Levitt

Jul 2, 2024, 6:05:36 PM (13 hours ago) Jul 2
to rob....@gmail.com, jell...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I really like Jake Kassen's map-based RUSA perm search tool: https://rusa.jkassen.org/geosearch/

Searching that tool for 100-199 km perms that pass within 10 miles of Tiburon, I see a few standouts:
* It would be a real shame for anyone to come to Marin and not ride Paradise Loop and Alpine Dam, so... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41343623
* Alternatively, you could take the ferry to SF and ride Alpine Dam and summit Tam instead of Paradise Loop: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142562
* China Camp / Lucas Valley Rd / Nicasio Valley Rd / SFD are also standbys of Marin road riding: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35142612

What I DON'T see are any short-ish perms that pass close to Sausalito/Tiburon and are entirely within Marin County. Seems like something like this or this would be quite delightful with a convenient Marin County start. These aren't RUSA perms (and I just drew them hastily, so the cues aren't cleaned up), but you could submit them, or just ride them sans credit.

I also like the West Marin lollipop route that Noah suggested :)

 - Drew

On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 2:38 PM Rob Hawks <rob....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Drew Levitt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Dan

Jul 2, 2024, 9:01:36 PM (11 hours ago) Jul 2
to drew....@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, jell...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
I'd agree that if you want THE ride in the area, that would be the Paradise Loop/Apine Dam route:  https://rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=4572
Instead of starting at the official start, you could start at Control 2 in Tiburon and finish the ride with a nice out-and-back into SF.

Alternatively if you're up for 200k, the Skip-two-mile-ou route is also very memorable: https://rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=3333.
It also starts nearby in Fairfax, unlike most routes which start in SF.

Nancy Russell

Jul 2, 2024, 9:35:06 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 2
to drew....@gmail.com, rob....@gmail.com, jell...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
Two of my favorite 100kms permanents further North:

1.   Nicasio to the Pt Reyes lighthouse #4682  Not a lot of traffic on the weekdays. You do need to check the wind before riding this route.

2.  San Rafael Marshall Lollipop  #4702 This Marin route includes cattle ranches and the seashore on Tomales Bay, a classic ride

For a 200km
  Dillon Beach   (4068) Since it is a perm you can start in Sausalito or Mill Valley and go over the Golden Gate Bridge back and forth early in the morning  before the tourists arrive and you don’t have to brave the 30mph+ winds late in the afternoon.
 Early morning is a delightful time to cross the bridge on a  clear day.

Other routes that start in SF and come over to Marin can be done in the same manner.

Nancy #6789

Sent from my iPhone