Anyone interested in a Whoop 3.0 device?

Rob Hawks

Nov 13, 2021, 11:49:31 AM11/13/21
to SF Randonneurs
Hello all,

In 2019, a friend gave me a device used to measure Heart Rate Variability (HRV). That device was much like the one used in medical settings where it is fitted over the end of your finger. Once a day, each morning, I'd use the device to measure heart rate variability and it would give a score from 1-10. A high score would indicate high recovery and the ability to take on physical stress in the form of exercise. I outgrew that device (passed it on to another cyclist) and right at the same time the pandemic stay at home orders were issued, I decided to get the Whoop strap. Several cyclists who were very frequent Youtube posters that I follow had become spokespersons and offered discount codes which I used to get a subscription.

With Whoop, the device from them is free, but in order to use it you would need to get a subscription. The longer the subscription, the lower the per month rate so I got the longest term available.

The whoop device is one you wear 24/7, and it constantly records your heart rate, periodically sending the data to Whoop via a phone app and each night can measure not just that you're asleep, but which sleep cycle you are in. You get all that sleep data the next morning along with a recovery score, given on a 1-100% scale. You also would get a respiration rate measured during sleep.

Whoop has now come out with an upgraded version, the 4.0. Whoop is encouraging members that upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 to upcycle their old device.

If you would like my 3.0 device for free, let me know. As part of this upcycle program you would get 2 months free during which time you can find out if you like and can use Whoop. Note that you need to use the device for I think 10 straight days so that it can determine your patterns and baseline, and then it can begin to give you recovery scores. The device would come with a brand new wrist strap. Full disclosure: If, after or during your 2 month trial you decide to get a subscription I would get one month added to my own subscription.

rob hawks