Fwd: Unknown Coast 300K (5/28)

Humboldt Randonneurs

May 22, 2022, 2:23:27 PM5/22/22
to sfra...@googlegroups.com
Humboldt Randonneurs will be hosting the Unknown Coast 300 next Saturday, May 28th. The route circumnavigates Humboldt Bay and travels through Eureka before heading off into the farmlands on the delta of the Eel River, passing through the Victorian town of Ferndale before the first big climb on a rural roar over to the Northern end of the Lost Coast with spectacular views of the Northern California coast that few have witnessed. Then heading up through the small towns of Petrolia and Honeydew along the Mariel river. Then climbing over Catheys Peak, descending into Bull Creek and offering a spectacular route into the Humboldt Redwoods along the Eel River before returning to Arcata.

Please visit www.HumboldtRando.com for more information and registration!

Bon route!

Eric Larsen
RBA Humboldt Randonneurs

Dan

May 23, 2022, 12:37:25 PM5/23/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Having done this brevet twice, I can say that it is easily the best 300K route in Northern California!  The stretch from Ferndale through Avenue of the Giants makes for an incredible afternoon.

Kevin Foley

May 24, 2022, 12:33:59 PM5/24/22
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Agreed. The views are spectacular along the coast from Ferndale out of Centerville Beach towards then down past the Lost Coast Headlands park. Climbing up Wildcat Ridge and along Mattole Road is serene, remote and beautiful along the coast, but I found the roads kinda rough in places in between Petrolia and Honeydew. There's a lot of beautiful riding in the whole area like the "Blue Slide" road and out of Loleta.