Fwd: FUNDRAISER - SMC HPL Performance Testing - new dates open!

Rob Hawks

Apr 13, 2022, 7:55:18 PMApr 13
to SF Randonneurs, San Francisco Randonneurs Announcements

HI all,

Below is a message from Derek Marks at St. Mary's College. Back in 2019 his lab hosted cyclists from the bay area to be tested for a variety of performence measures. Riders with SFR used that as they prepared for PBP.  We even had enough from SFR to have our own sessions.

Below is the announcment for the next set of sessions and instructions on how to sign up.

rob hawks

Hello Cycling Friends - this is Dr. Derek Marks, the Human Performance Laboratory Director at Saint Mary's College in Moraga.

We are hosting another PERFORMANCE TESTING FUNDRAISER for wildlife conservation organizations in Australia.  This July and August I am bringing two groups of Saint Mary’s students and alumni to Australia to work with several wildlife conservation organizations and help them protect and care for endangered and threatened animals.  Your donations are greatly appreciated and will go directly to those organizations!

Please continue reading for details…

WHAT IS IT?

We will perform a VO2max test with metabolic threshold determination, FTP95, and exercise energy expenditure graphing (with ‘fat-max’ utilization profile for ID of Zone #2 training), among other measures.  Additionally, we will provide a comprehensive body composition assessment (underwater weighing, skinfolds, and bioelectrical impedance analysis) as part of the testing package. All results will be analyzed and reviewed by a certified exercise physiologist.

Please review the attachments for a sample of some of the data that will be obtained.  This type of testing is ideal for both road and mountain bikers.  It provides physiological data to better plan and understand training status and program development.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

It is free. However, this is a fundraising event and ALL PROCEEDS will be given directly to the Australian wildlife conservation programs we work with (Wombat Care Bundanoon, Southern Highlands Koala Sanctuary, and Save Our Sea Turtles) in January 2020.  These tests cost between $400-$600 when performed at other universities or facilities (UC Davis, UCSF, etc.).  Most of our participants donate around $200

GoFundMe page (HERE) (https://gofund.me/87807098has been set-up to accept donations.  We can also accept VENMO donations to Derek Marks (@Derek-Marks-13 or dscg...@sbcglobal.net.)  Be sure to mention Australia Wildlife conservation in the donation info. THANK YOU!

HOW DO I PREPARE?

Prepare as you would for a bike ride - normal hydration and not too much (if any) food in your stomach.  The VO2max test lasts approximately 12-15 minutes on a stationary bike.  The body composition tests take about 10-15 minutes.

· Bring cycling clothes and your cycling shoes.  We have mountain SPD pedals on the bike and a set of KEO pedals as well.  If you use a different pedal system, bring your pedals.  **We can only put pedals on our bike that can be installed using a pedal wrench (not an alan/hex key)**

· Bring a bathing suit (or something to wear in the tank) and a towel.

· Water and a small snack are a good idea to bring as well.

· PLEASE complete the PAR-Q and INFORMED CONSENT FORMS (attached) and bring them with you.  We can NOT test any subject who answers YES to any question on the PAR-Q.

· Currently, anyone who enters the HPL must provide proof of COVID vaccination

HOW DO I SIGN UP?

Please visit this DOODLE POLL (https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/e31yB8Ob) to sign up for an open spot.  We can only test one person every 30 minutes.  Please arrive 10 minutes early.

WHERE IS IT?

We are located in the Warehouse Building at Saint Mary's College.  When entering campus, make a left turn after the public safety kiosk.  Make a right turn at the first stop sign.  We are about 1/2 way (3 buildings) up the hill on the left side, behind St. Joseph Hall (just downhill from Madigan Gym).  You can text/call 925-378-9176 if you get lost

Parking on the weekends is free.

The DATES! =)

April 30th - 9:30am - 2:00pm

and

May 7th - 9:30am - 2:00pm.

Cheers,
Derek

QUESTIONS?

Please email dw...@stmarys-ca.edu with any questions.

Hope to see you soon.

Derek & the SMC HPL Crew

Derek Marks, PhD (he/him/his)
Saint Mary's College of California
Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology
Director, Graduate Kinesiology Program
Director, Human Performance Laboratory
chart.pdf
Perf test1.pdf
Perf test2.pdf
xo.pdf
PARQ FORM new copy.pdf
Informed Consent to Participate in Fitness Testing copy.pdf

Andrew Williams

Apr 30, 2022, 11:02:19 AMApr 30
to San Francisco Randonneurs
SFRs,
I scheduled the 11:30-12:00 slot today, however unfortunately I woke last night to a sick doggo. I was hoping he'd feel better by the morning but that does not appear to be the case. I considered waiting it out but would hate to cancel on even shorter notice so I went ahead and removed my name from today's doodle calendar. Hopefully this will give someone else an opportunity to participate this morning.
-Andrew

Michael Fretz

Apr 30, 2022, 11:44:29 AMApr 30
to San Francisco Randonneurs
It is worth contacting Derek Marks directly if you are still interested.

I did that yesterday and discovered that there were three last minutes cancellations.  So, I am filling one of those today.

This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs list at sfra...@googlegroups.com
Search the archives at http://groups.google.com/group/sfrandon
For SFR's schedule and general information, visit http://sfrandonneurs.org/
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sfrandon/2af3044b-be47-410e-8ee9-f3b330640946n%40googlegroups.com