Any advice on drilling holes in your frame for dynamo wiring

Ely Rodriguez

Nov 16, 2010, 11:36:32 AM11/16/10
to San Francisco Randonneurs
Hi all, I have a generator wheel and front and rear lights and I'm
thinking about running the wiring inside the frame/fork tubes.
I thought that attempting this would be a nice challenge and may
potentially be awesome, or a complete disaster.
It's a 1989 Bridgestone RB that I run fixed. It has full aluminum
fenders, the fork is Ishiwata 019 with a sloping crown, the down tube
is Ishiwata-probably 9-6-9.
I plan to run the rear wire under the fender.
Has anyone tried this?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ely

jim g

Nov 16, 2010, 2:09:16 PM11/16/10
to ely...@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs
Ely,

I've never personally done this, but from what I've seen in other's photos...

+ I wouldn't drill the fork. Instead, braze small wire guides inside
the right fork leg. Roller bushings from an old, worn-out bike chain
work well.

http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Bicycles/Gifford/11070915_KrDJC#775072279_NTYiP

+ If you drill the down tube, do so through the tang of the head lug,
and reinforce with a water-bottle braze on.

http://alexandchristine.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Bicycles/Gifford/11070915_KrDJC#775071513_up9Qx

-Jim G

> --
> This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs group at Google Groups.

jimg at yojimg dot net

potis

Nov 16, 2010, 2:16:22 PM11/16/10
to San Francisco Randonneurs

Hey Ely

instead of drilling holes, I use adhesive tape to hold the generator
wires to my fork. I generally use clear vinyl tape or an old bumper
sticker cut into strips. I have been lucky in that old Washington
Mutual bumper stickers match the color of my Pelican and they gave me
a pile of em when they became Chase. Bumper sticker tape is cheap,
flexible, easily replaced and doesn't screw up your paint like a zip
tie. Check Jim G's blog for some adhesive cable tidies too.

for running the wire to the tail light I strip the plastic housing off
of 5mm shifter cable housing and remove the lining and the co-ax wires
inside. I run the lighting wire inside the cable housing and snap it
onto the brake cable running along the top tube. this maintains a
clean top tube and is easily removed. it is a very positive connection
and I have had no problems in the couple years I have been doing it.

for my tail light I use a fender mount taillight turned upside down
and mounted to a waterbottle clamp. I tuck the light up under the seat
stays in the same spot you would see the tail light on one of the old
herse or singer bikes, or on a newer toei and clamp it onto the seat
tube.

I have run the wire for a fender mount tail light under the fender
using Moe's book store bumper stickers on a clean fender and after two
years of rain and heat it is still holding.

Gabe at Box dog has seen what I have done (for the top tube wiring at
least) and most of the other guys there have seen it too so they could
help you.

This way there are no holes, no muss no fuss and it is easily
transferred from bike to bike.

jim g

Nov 16, 2010, 2:33:07 PM11/16/10
to jjp...@gmail.com, San Francisco Randonneurs
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM, potis <jjp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ely
>
> instead of drilling holes, I use adhesive tape to hold the generator
> wires to my fork. I generally use clear vinyl tape or an old bumper
> sticker cut into strips. I have been lucky in that old Washington
> Mutual bumper stickers match the color of my Pelican and they gave me
> a pile of em when they became Chase. Bumper sticker tape is cheap,
> flexible, easily replaced and doesn't screw up your paint like a zip
> tie. Check Jim G's blog for some adhesive cable tidies too.

This is the blog post that Mr. Potis is referring to:

http://sfcyclotouring.blogspot.com/2010/07/diy-wiring-guides.html

Note that I originally learned of these stick-on guides from Mike
Varley at Black Mtn Cycles in Pt. Reyes Stn (see his comment at the
above post).

> for running the wire to the tail light I strip the plastic housing off
> of 5mm shifter cable housing and remove the lining and the co-ax wires
> inside. I run the lighting wire inside the cable housing and snap it
> onto the brake cable running along the top tube. this maintains a
> clean top tube and is easily removed. it is a very positive connection
> and I have had no problems in the couple years I have been doing it.

I happen to have a photo of Mr. Potis' neat setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimg/4364870970/

For routing wires along the fork, there's also this neat trick of
using a bent spoke hooked into the vent holes inside the fork blade:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7556426@N06/4637251524/

-Jim G

Kerry Wilson

Nov 16, 2010, 3:33:52 PM11/16/10
to ely...@gmail.com, SF Randonneurs, yoj...@gmail.com
Steve Rex of Rex cycles in Sacramento will and can do modify your bike.  there also may be some folks in the bay area who are familiar with brazing on thin tubing without jeopardizing the strength of the tubing.

--
jimg at yojimg dot net

--
This message is from the San Francisco Randonneurs group at Google Groups.