sflow for vlan interface

Shkumbin Fida

May 21, 2018, 11:06:10 AM5/21/18
to sFlowTrend
Hi,

Can sflowTrend show bandwidth utilization for VLAN Interfaces? I have a DellC9010 and for me it is important to know the bandwidth utilization for each vlan interface (subnet).
I tested sFlowTrend and saw that the Top N with a filter give a top 5 bandwidth source address and not all the active addresses....
Anyone can suggest something...

Stuart Johnston

May 21, 2018, 1:36:52 PM5/21/18
to sflow...@googlegroups.com
There are a few different ways to answer this:

- If the switch can perform sFlow sampling for the virtual VLAN interface, then the traffic reported from this interface will show up under the interface in sFlowTrend, just as if it was a normal physical interface. I’m not sure if the Dell switch you are using can do this or not.

- If the traffic is on a tagged VLAN (ie an 802.1q header is used in the packet) then sFlowTrend will extract the VLAN from the data and you can use this in filters, and the top VLAN queries.

- If the switch supports the sFlow extended switch record, then sFlowTrend can also extract the VLAN, even if it is an untagged VLAN. I’m again not sure, but I suspect that the Dell switch doesn’t support this.

You also mention the top-n charts - by default the ’n’ used is 5, but you can change this in the user preferences. Alternately, you can create a report with a different n per report.

regards,
Stuart

Shkumbin Fida

May 21, 2018, 5:34:32 PM5/21/18
to sFlowTrend
Hi sgjohnston,

Thank you for the reply.

Dell C9010 in his documentation says that is running sflow v5 on their force10 switches. I have enabled all the main port channels for sflow ingress and even my pointopoint inteface where I share my edge network and cloud too.

I knew that you need to enable the interface vlan to perform sflow (was the same with my previous  Cisco switch). I do this on DELL on the interface vlan by hitting sflow enable. The moment I hit enter the console exits from the interface configuration. I try also sflow ingress and this time console says that command  is not recognized :). As you sad it seams that Dell haven't  applied sflow on interface vlan (I was not sure if sflow can perform on virtual interfaces and not only on physical).

Switch supports extended sflow feature and as I sad I can catch frames using the filter but only for the top N-s.

Since I share the internet link for me is very important to check which vlan is wasting my bandwidth :) using trend graph and this is a pain when you have more than 15 vlan which have access to the internet.

I'll try to contact dell if they have a answer for this and take it for granted that sflow can perform on a interface vlan from your side.

Regards,
shkumbini