sflow ovs patch link support

Amirhossein Ghorab

Jun 10, 2018, 1:24:26 PM6/10/18
to sFlow
Hi
I create simple with mininet  "sudo mn  --topo tree,depth=2,fanout=2" after that i set the sflow agent "sudo ovs-vsctl -- --id=@sflow create sflow agent=ens33  target=\"192.168.1.3:6343\" sampling=10 polling=10 -- -- set bridge s2 sflow=@sflow -- -- set bridge s1 sflow=@sflow -- -- set bridge s3 sflow=@sflow" , with that i can get all ovs switches and their ports(interfaces) metrics on my sflow collector (sflowRT),, but when i use ovs patch link  => "sudo mn  --link ovs --topo tree,depth=2,fanout=2 " , i cant collect the metrics of patch peer ports on switch like before ,, is there anyway to add support patch peer links on sflow agent ?
Thanks in advance

Peter Phaal

Jun 10, 2018, 1:47:07 PM6/10/18
to sFlow
On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 10:24:26 AM UTC-7, Amirhossein Ghorab wrote:
I create simple with mininet  "sudo mn  --topo tree,depth=2,fanout=2" after that i set the sflow agent "sudo ovs-vsctl -- --id=@sflow create sflow agent=ens33  target=\"192.168.1.3:6343\" sampling=10 polling=10 -- -- set bridge s2 sflow=@sflow -- -- set bridge s1 sflow=@sflow -- -- set bridge s3 sflow=@sflow" , with that i can get all ovs switches and their ports(interfaces) metrics on my sflow collector (sflowRT),, but when i use ovs patch link  => "sudo mn  --link ovs --topo tree,depth=2,fanout=2 " , i cant collect the metrics of patch peer ports on switch like before ,, is there anyway to add support patch peer links on sflow agent ?

My understanding is that patch port links are a way to factor the user space OpenFlow rules, but that they are removed when compiled as kernel space rules. Patch ports don't exist as netdev devices, don't maintain counters, don't support traffic shaping policies, and don't support sFlow.

Why do you want to use patch ports? sFlow is typically used for traffic engineering and Mininet link parameters let you simulate realistic link constraints:

You mentioned using sFlow-RT. The software ships with a script to help configure sFlow in Mininet:

There is also a Minet dashboard application you can download:

Amirhossein Ghorab

Jun 10, 2018, 2:34:02 PM6/10/18
to sFlow
Actually i'm working on this project "https://nephilimboy.github.io/XNFV/" (its not completely ready for public use but the paper was accepted just few days ago, u can watch the videos on the link for more details) anyway, i used OVSDB opendaylight plugin to connect switches together, ovsdb doesn't support veth pairs ( if i want to use veth pair i have to change my code...). but thanks for replay.. it seems i have to change my code if i want to use sflow agents,,,