Error in the docker image sflow/exabgp

Iván Gallardo

Dec 27, 2021, 8:00:05 PM12/27/21
to sFlow-RT
I was trying to install the Docker DDoS testbed https://blog.sflow.com/2020/10/docker-ddos-testbed.html

There is a mistake in the docker image sflow/exabgp because is trying to install the latest version of exabgp (pip3 install --no-cache exabgp) and the configuration file has changed in the new version 4 (https://github.com/Exa-Networks/exabgp/wiki/Migration-from-3.4-to-4.0).

As we can see in this image, its result in an error message: https://imgur.com/5GIxyZy

I am doing my master thesis about how to enhance this DDOS protection, using entropy, for example, but I can't do anything with the error :(

I thought about these fast solutions:
-Publish the docker image with the dockerfile to edit it.
-Change pip3 install --no-cache exabgp to pip install git+https://github.com/igallar98/exabgp.git (with has the version 3 compatible with the configuration)
-Update to the new configuration file syntax...

Thanks a million and happy Xmas!

Peter Phaal

Dec 27, 2021, 8:01:17 PM12/27/21
to sFlow-RT
I just tested the image on Docker Desktop 4.3.2 on a Macbook and it worked. What version and platform are you using for Docker?

From the error message, it looks like the default value, host.docker.internal, for the PEER_ADDR environment variable isn't being resolved, resulting in an invalid configuration.

Try setting the PEER_ADDR variable explicitly in your docker run command.