How sflow categorize the collected network metrics

viknes indiran

May 5, 2022, 5:40:15 AM5/5/22
to sFlow-RT
Good day,

I'm currently researching the sflow-rt architecture. So, I would like to know a few things about this tool.
1. How sflow-rt collects the network metrics from an OVS switch or from the mininet?
2.  How sflow-rt categorize these collected network metrics?

Peter Phaal

May 5, 2022, 10:24:11 AM5/5/22
to sFlow-RT
Answers inline:

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 2:40:15 AM UTC-7 vik...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm currently researching the sflow-rt architecture. So, I would like to know a few things about this tool.
1. How sflow-rt collects the network metrics from an OVS switch or from the mininet?

OVS has an embedded sFlow agent that can be configured to stream sFlow telemetry to sFlow-RT.

The sflow-rt/extras/sflow.py script configures OVS sFlow as part of the Mininet startup:

2.  How sflow-rt categorize these collected network metrics?

The Getting Started guide gives an overview of the types of measurements collected:

sFlow-RT's analytics pipeline is programmable using the REST API or through embedded JavaScript, so the categorization is up to the applications running on top of the analytics engine: