Meshing options

Md. Golam Rashed

Apr 1, 2012, 11:02:02 AM4/1/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Can meshlab be used to create mesh and use it with sfepy for analysis??

Also what other meshing software do we have apart from Gmsh?

Logan Sorenson

Apr 1, 2012, 7:23:41 PM4/1/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

From the looks of it, meshlab formats are not directly supported in
SfePy. You can find the list of supported mesh formats and
capabilities in sfepy/fem/meshio.py (online here:
https://github.com/sfepy/sfepy/blob/master/sfepy/fem/meshio.py). That
being said, some of those formats are experimental and may not work
fully. It is also possible to implement your own mesh reader fairly
easily if you have a description of the file format.

It looks like it may be possible to use meshlab to generate 2D meshes,
e.g., in STL format, if STL read support is implemented. If you need
complicated 3D meshes, I would recommend trying Salome, since it has a
quite powerful preprocessor/mesh generator, although its MED format
support in SfePy may still be preliminary.

HTH,
Logan

Md. Golam Rashed

Apr 2, 2012, 2:00:46 AM4/2/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a lot of if's and but's. So Gmsh is best till now. I wonder if abaqus format will ever be supported fully in sfepy! It'll help researcher to quickly verify the result.

Robert Cimrman

Apr 2, 2012, 4:46:21 AM4/2/12
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice, I agree. But, personally, I do not care much about formats I
do not use - a day has only a certain amount of hours after all and other
things are more pressing. This is exactly the area, where user contributions
are most welcome!

Cheers,
r.