From Solidworks to sfepy

François Gingras

Apr 9, 2017, 3:52:24 AM4/9/17
to sfepy-devel
Hi all,

I am new using Sfepy and I am trying to get a part from solidworks, mesh it (using whatever) and then do some FEA on Sfepy.

So right now, I exported the part in STEP and used GMSH to generate the mesh. But the VTK/MESH mesh file contain more dans 1 cell type.

So Sfepy pop this error : "meshes with several cell kinds are not supported!"

I am trying to figure how to have only one cell kind.

Is this seem right? Solidwork -> Step file -> Gmsh -> mesh/vtk file -> sfepy

Robert Cimrman

Apr 9, 2017, 5:14:58 PM4/9/17
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Hi François,

Do you have several volume cell types (= cell types of the topological
dimension equal to the space dimension)? That is really not supported, and will
not be in near future.

If you have a single volume cell type, you can either manually remove the
surfaces/edges from the mesh file, or try the current git master - I have just
merged [1] by Vladimir Lukes, which might help you. In which gmah format do you
save the mesh?

The mesh reading functions can be updated to ignore the lower-dimensional mesh
entities - you can submit an issue (pull requests welcome!) if [1] does not
work for the format you use.

r.

[1] https://github.com/sfepy/sfepy/pull/388