Usage of contact planes to model a special boundary condition

kathrinsb...@googlemail.com

Mar 2, 2017, 11:41:49 AM3/2/17
to sfepy-devel
Hi,

for my linear elastic problem (3d, with a fixed button or top region and some forces on the other side) I want to define another special condition:

The condition is given by a direction as a normal vector of a 2d plane. Now I want to prevent node movement in that direction.

I saw in the examples that I cannot use the essential boundary conditions, because I am blocking an arbitrary direction and not a dimension (x, y, z).
The idea is now to use a contact plane instead. Is that a good idea for defining this condition?

Thank you for your help.

kathrinsb...@googlemail.com

Mar 3, 2017, 2:49:16 PM3/3/17
to sfepy-devel
Is it probably a better idea to use the LCBC condition with the kind 'normal_direction'. Could you provide an example how this could be defined? As far as I understand the explanation about lcbc kind normal direction it means the velocity is bound to the normal direction. In my case I would like to define the opposite, which is not allowing the movement in the direction of the normal vector. Thank you.

Regards,
Kathrin

Robert Cimrman

Mar 3, 2017, 3:47:07 PM3/3/17
to sfepy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kathrin,

Maybe you can adapt [1] for your purposes - it allows a general LCBC in each node.

r.

[1] http://sfepy.org/doc-devel/examples/linear_elasticity/nodal_lcbcs.html

kathrinsb...@googlemail.com

Mar 12, 2017, 3:06:06 PM3/12/17