SFD Mission

1 view

mr.kschan

Jun 13, 2009, 7:57:14 PM6/13/09
to Software Freedom Day - Hong Kong
Greetings,

Folks, I think we better have an open discussion on the mission rather
than keeping the it within our internal google-doc.

From the google-doc, it's stating ..
1. 介紹和推廣香港本地開源軟件開發計劃和開發者
2. 針對普通 end-user 的開源軟件推廣和交流

I would like to add that .... We're also pushing the idea of "software
freedom" which I think open-source is a "subset" of it.

FOSS refers to Free and Open-Source Software in which there are Free
Software Licence and Open Source Software Licence. Here, "Free"
doesn't necessarily share the "free" in "free-beer" (as open-source
software may take u $$). If we're targeting local students as primary
audiences, another mission of this SFD is to "Educate the audience the
difference between Free and Open-source 推廣軟件自由與開源文化, 並解釋兩者的分別" (Abel
may have a better translation =P).

Another point is that, we could further explains the benefit of FOSS.
For example, we take the latest news on ms-win7 ^^ EU is discussing
whether ms can pre-install IE on win7. This is a good case study for
the browser war. From my personal point of view, open-source browsers
will lead sooner or later. So, can we even have a session to talk
about this topic (FOSS benefit beyonds $)^^?

Last, we may follow objectives of Software Freedom International
(SFI) ... http://softwarefreedomday.org/sfi#head-870193413b238d33549e76451305c689507a3e27

Vision
* Our vision is to empower all people to freely connect, create and
share in a digital world that is participatory, transparent, and
sustainable.

Objectives
* to celebrate software freedom and the people behind it
* to foster a general understanding of software freedom, and encourage
adoption of free software and open standards
* to create more equal access to opportunities through the use of
participatory technologies
* to promote constructive dialogue on responsibilities and rights in
the information society
* to be inclusive of organizations and individuals that share our
Vision
* to be pragmatic, transparent, and responsible as an organisation

ks.

mr.kschan

Jun 13, 2009, 8:22:05 PM6/13/09
to Software Freedom Day - Hong Kong
Folks,

One further point is that ... we can also have a session to tell the
students (audience) "They have choice" ....

It is important that this could be a business-neutral event that we
are not offending anyone. Although I don't like ms-win so much, but
i'm using it here to write the mail ^^" (as we have choice to use any
OS for any purpose)

So, we can introduce choices to our audience in a session.

There are ms-Win, Linux, Unix, Solaris, Mac, BSD, .........

There are ms-Office, open-office, google-doc, abiword, edit-
grid, .........

There are ms-Outlook, thunderbird, evolution, .............
(honestly ... i'm not that familiar with email clients =P)

There are IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera, ...........

We can have features comparison for those choices (but this is not a
easy task -.-) or just introducing them with screenshot.

Folks, any idea on this ^^?

ks.

Haggen So

Jun 15, 2009, 12:37:09 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I support to add 推廣軟件自由與開源文化, 並解釋兩者的分別 and "They have choice" as
mission. We organised an event with InMedia last year
http://www.inmediahk.net/node/315484 ,
http://www.slideshare.net/sammyfung/ss-362789 and
http://www.slideshare.net/lbrabbit/ss-363969 I believe that we need
to present something like that again.

I am also thinking of adding an academic dimension to it. After the
meeting, I felt that I needed to contact the computer science
department. If one day they discovered posters around the campus and
they were not at least notified, that would not be good. They may also
receive phone calls or email enquiries and get embarrassed. I used to
know Prof. Francis Lau, but I had not contacted him for nearly 10 yrs.
I also would like to conduct an academic session on teaching and
research. I hope to dig up interested academics and form a group.
Please voice out your concerns, otherwise, I will just proceed.

For room bookings, I have walked from west to east of the campus and
then back and found two possible places. As I am working in a small
department, I have to use the Exam Unit's facilitates:
http://www.hku.hk/exam/C_2.htm

Chow Yei Ching Building
-New building
-Closer to bus stop at Pokfulam Road
-Good size
-Enough space outside room for stalls
-But Room A in G/F and Room B & C in LG1
Library Extension Building
-A bit older
-Further from bus stop
-Only one very big room (350 ppl)
-Many smaller rooms so the chance to get a booking is high
-More space outside for stalls
-In the same floor

If I can get computer science involved, they may have other resources.

Haggen

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 12:41:34 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Haggen,

Is academic session on teaching and research related to CC-repository ^^? 1 push for this~~~ 推!

Did we confirmed CC is going to be organizer / co-organizer that we can add to our sfd-wiki directly?

ks.

2009/6/15 Haggen So <hagg...@gmail.com>

--
i, have a dream. i want to make my dream come true. anyway, OLPC rocks!

http://mr.kschan.googlepages.com

Haggen So

Jun 15, 2009, 12:57:40 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
KS Chan,

CCHK is definitely co-organizing.

For the academic session, it may not be CC related. It may be a review
of what academic research has been done so far and what is happening
in the HK academic arena.

Haggen

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 1:04:55 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Haggen,

Let's name the session tentatively "FOSS in Academic" ??

ks

Haggen So

Jun 15, 2009, 1:43:55 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
KS,

"FOSS in Academic" is good.

Another thing that I think of - if I went and asked HKU Dep. of CS and
they has yes, then the event would be held in HKU. This is one
important implication... Any input?

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 1:46:20 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Haggen,

what do u mean?? do u mean ... "FOSS in Academic" implies HKU related?

Haggen So

Jun 15, 2009, 2:07:31 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
KS

No, the session can stand on itself, but I will wait for the decision
on the location of the venue.
If KS you can find the rooms, I will still inform the HKU CS dept.,
but I will present the matter in a different way.

Sammy Fung

Jun 15, 2009, 2:29:20 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
These 2 points were added by me after I sent emails to some potential co-organisator and copied a potion of emails .

I think it is not only these 2 practical points in SFD missions. And I agree to add theoretical points to mission too.

I think practically we should focus on practical more than theory, to help people to understand how to apply open-source or software freedom in the life, in different areas. It will attract more people to know and use open-source software, and let them understand the theory from the practice.

Regards,
Sammy

Software Developer, Engineer.
Personal Blog - http://sammy.hk

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 2:32:12 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Let's construct the mission list here??

1. 介紹和推廣香港本地開源軟件開發計劃和開發者
2. 針對普通 end-user 的開源軟件推廣和交流
3. 推廣軟件自由與開源文化, 並解釋兩者的分別

Sammy Fung

Jun 15, 2009, 2:33:19 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Yes, introducing any alternatives is a good idea, but we should look for speakers to talk on them.

It will be great even they changed to use Safari, Mac OS X,..... from IE and Windows, haha.

Regards,
Sammy

Software Developer, Engineer.
Personal Blog - http://sammy.hk

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 2:34:35 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
:p keep our best to not offend any company's product ... 和諧!

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 2:36:28 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com

2009/6/15 KSChan <mr.k...@gmail.com>
4. 簡略介紹不同類別免費或開源軟件及其影響

Abel Cheung

Jun 15, 2009, 2:36:35 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/15 Haggen So <hagg...@gmail.com>:
> No, the session can stand on itself, but I will wait for the decision
> on the location of the venue.
>  If KS you can find the rooms, I will still inform the HKU CS dept.,
> but I will present the matter in a different way.

Haggen, do you mean, just in case there is no room available on KS's side,
HKU can be used as a fallback vanue?

Abel
--
Abel Cheung (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1 41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF

KSChan

Jun 15, 2009, 2:37:07 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Shall I try to seek Sun Micro's interest in sharing the impact of MySQL ^^?

ks

Haggen So

Jun 15, 2009, 3:52:14 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Ben Lau

Jun 15, 2009, 4:16:13 AM6/15/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
It is great.

KSChan

Jun 24, 2009, 11:58:41 PM6/24/09
to sf...@googlegroups.com
team,

to push thing forward ... i just added Mission onto our wikis (http://wiki.opensource.hk/index.php/Software_Freedom_Day_2009%2C_Hong_Kong and http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/hongkong)

I rearranged the order of mission and ... i didn't added the item " 針對普通 end-user 的開源軟件推廣和交流" as my translation is poor.

ks