Software Freedom Day HK 2010 (18/9) - let's start to discuss

Sammy Fung

Jul 6, 2010, 5:24:47 AM7/6/10
to Software Freedom Day - Hong Kong
Hi all,

Software Freedom Day is 3rd Saturday of every Semptembers, which is
established by Software Freedom International.

Thank you for your support in last year, and we made a successful SFD
last year with over 100 participants.

18 September 2010 is next SFD. Although offical team registration is
not yet announced by SFI, I still would like to call for discussion on
sfdhk google group.

- Style of Software Freedom Day this year ?
- Any topics you would like to share / listen / discuss / demo /
introduce in software freedom day ?
- Are you willing to be a volunteer of software freedom day ?
- Are you willing to sponsor software freedom day ? Venue, Wifi,
Gifts, Food & Beverage, Tee,...
- Any other suggestions, comments ?

Last year SFDHK was a week behind barcamphk. And bencrox replied me
that barcamphk this year will be held again in September. We should
consider barcamphk in our planning.

Reference:
* SFDHK googlegroup: http://groups.google.com/group/sfdhk or email
sf...@googlegroups.com
* Last year Software Freedom Day 2009 wiki page -
http://wiki.opensource.hk/index.php/Software_Freedom_Day_2009,_Hong_Kong

Regards,
Sammy Fung

Steven Mak

Jul 6, 2010, 9:37:53 AM7/6/10
to Software Freedom Day - Hong Kong
BTW, shall I recommend someone on sharing things (although I haven't
asked him yet... he's a firefox developer in HK anyway, or I don't
know if you know him already)

On Jul 6, 5:24 pm, Sammy Fung <sa...@opensource.hk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Software Freedom Day is 3rd Saturday of every Semptembers, which is
> established by Software Freedom International.
>
> Thank you for your support in last year, and we made a successful SFD
> last year with over 100 participants.
>
> 18 September 2010 is next SFD. Although offical team registration is
> not yet announced by SFI, I still would like to call for discussion on
> sfdhk google group.
>
> - Style of Software Freedom Day this year ?
> - Any topics you would like to share / listen / discuss / demo /
> introduce in software freedom day ?
> - Are you willing to be a volunteer of software freedom day ?
> - Are you willing to sponsor software freedom day ? Venue, Wifi,
> Gifts, Food & Beverage, Tee,...
> - Any other suggestions, comments ?
>
> Last year SFDHK was a week behind barcamphk. And bencrox replied me
> that barcamphk this year will be held again in September. We should
> consider barcamphk in our planning.
>
> Reference:
>     * SFDHK googlegroup:http://groups.google.com/group/sfdhkor email

Ben Lau

Jul 6, 2010, 10:02:15 AM7/6/10
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

Will be good if you can introduce him to us :)

By the way , do you interest to give a talk during the event?

> --
> You are subscribed to Software Freedom Day Hong Kong.
> To post, send email to sf...@googlegroups.com

Sammy Fung

Jul 7, 2010, 12:46:05 AM7/7/10
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Steven.

It will be great if you can share something at SFD too.
--
Regards,
Sammy

Software Developer.
Personal Blog - http://sammy.hk

Steven Mak

Jul 7, 2010, 9:29:50 AM7/7/10
to Software Freedom Day - Hong Kong
Let me ask him... shall I just ask him to join this group?

Thanks for your offer indeed. Although you might already know what I
am interested to talk about, I would still like to know what kinds of
topics are good for SFD. Also, how long is a talk? I read the Wiki
that some of them are 30min and some of them are 1hr.

And of course, I always recommend people using open-source tools (as
well as simplest tools) whenever possible (almost always possible
indeed) in my working domain :)

On Jul 7, 12:46 pm, Sammy Fung <sammyfun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Steven.
>
> It will be great if you can share something at SFD too.
>

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Ben Lau <xben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Steven,
>
> > Will be good if you can introduce him to us :)
>
> > By the way , do you interest to give a talk during the event?

> >http://groups.google.com/group/sfdhk?hl=en
>
> > --
> > You are subscribed to Software Freedom Day Hong Kong.
> > To post, send email to sf...@googlegroups.com

Sammy Fung

Jul 7, 2010, 10:55:49 AM7/7/10
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Steven,

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Steven Mak <stev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Let me ask him... shall I just ask him to join this group?

I suggest both. :)

Thanks for your offer indeed. Although you might already know what I
am interested to talk about, I would still like to know what kinds of
topics are good for SFD. Also, how long is a talk? I read the Wiki
that some of them are 30min and some of them are 1hr.

Information on wiki.opensource.hk is SFD last year, we didn't decide length of each talks.

Ben Lau

Jul 7, 2010, 11:16:15 AM7/7/10
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

Great to hear that :)

For me, I would like to make the range of topic of SFD broader than
last year. Ofocz , it is always encouraged to focus on OSS / software
freedom, but it should not be limited to OSS only. Topics that related
to web 2.0 , software development , life and technology , local
community , and not too commercial should be welcomed.