New Project to Support: 525 Harrison

1 view

Marcus Ismael

Sep 14, 2015, 3:07:39 PM9/14/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Check out the 525 Harrison Street project here: http://sfyimby.nationbuilder.com/525harrison

The project is a 205-unit apartment tower on Rincon Hill. There's no people there to displace, no parks to cast shadows on, no heritage districts to "disrespect", and - while currently not the most ideal place to live being right next to a Bay Bridge on-ramp - is well-designed infill development with 25 onsite units of affordable (45%AMI) housing.

525 Harrison is slated to be heard at the Planning Commission on Thursday, September 24. Please sign in on this volunteer form to let us know you can join us and support this project. If you haven't already, sign our BuildSOMA petition to let Planning and the BOS know your support this project and others.

FRIENDLY REMINDER: Join us at the Planning Commission this Thursday, September 17 at 11:00 am to speak in favor of the 5M Project!

- M.

Kyle Huey

Sep 14, 2015, 7:09:37 PM9/14/15
to Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
Has the issue with the proposed contraflow Bay Bridge offramp at this
site been resolved yet?

- Kyle
> --
> This list too heavy for you? Join the ANNOUNCEMENTS ONLY list:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sfbarentersfed-announce and
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/6e68f2e1-b154-4b5d-bb87-227f9ebb48c2%40googlegroups.com.

Jon Titus

Sep 14, 2015, 7:24:00 PM9/14/15
to Kyle Huey, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
A planning commissioner tweeted something to that effect, but there were no further details.

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAP045AqCgh%3D-CsBH6%3D8AiH25mEDa%3Df%3D6Kf07ni8EMf8fbTG%2BeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jon Titus

Sep 14, 2015, 7:43:06 PM9/14/15
to Kyle Huey, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation

Kyle Huey

Sep 14, 2015, 7:48:08 PM9/14/15
to Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
That's good. Presumably the compromise is trading the developer's
requested zoning variance for the accomodation. Win win for the
property owner and the government.

- Kyle

Sonja Trauss

Sep 14, 2015, 7:53:37 PM9/14/15
to Kyle Huey, Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
You know the height limit there is 40 stories and they're only building 25? partially out of not wanting to deal w neighbors but also because of wind rules.

Register to vote in your local election: www.rockthevote.com/register-to-vote/ do it by Oct 19th

Kyle Huey

Sep 14, 2015, 7:54:36 PM9/14/15
to Sonja Trauss, Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
Wait, really? I remember reading that the property was zoned for like 10 ...

- Kyle

Kyle Huey

Sep 14, 2015, 7:56:41 PM9/14/15
to Sonja Trauss, Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
Ok, SocketSite claims its bulk controls the project doesn't meet, not height.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2015/05/rincon-hill-tower-refined-but-not-to-accommodate-transit.html

So how many units are we leaving on the table here?

(I hate zoning)

- Kyle

Sonja Trauss

Sep 14, 2015, 7:57:41 PM9/14/15
to Kyle Huey, Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
yesssssssss the wind stuff is a bitch. thats one of the reasons build's project (where our office is) at van ness and market is taking so much longer than the trumark project right next to it

Sonja Trauss

Sep 14, 2015, 8:09:48 PM9/14/15
to Kyle Huey, Jon Titus, Marcus Ismael, SFBA Renters Federation
we left a few on the table to preserve the view corridor from the highway. that one is way crazier. but the wind-lost units could be 100

can someone find the video of Commissioner moore asking for the design to be modified for the view corridor? i have to leave for Lafayette. I think it was June 18th 2015

The planning commission/ gov TV has rearranged their website and hidden the video archives!

Jon Schwark

Sep 14, 2015, 10:52:59 PM9/14/15
to SFBA Renters Federation, sonja....@gmail.com, titu...@gmail.com, marcus...@gmail.com
they already traded some extra height over the original design for some distance from a neighboring tower, s they are supposed to be 150' apart in Rincon Hill. They might have to do it again to make room for the contraflow lane. I don't think we should completely ignore the need for the bus lane. A lot of transpo people are bushing contraflow as what will get us by till the new BART tube comes in 2050. And remember, for transportation infrastructure, they could actually use eminent doman which would probably mean the developer might be less likely to get any compensatory height bonus. Also, I saw something in the AC Trans letter about them maybe being willing to respect AIR RIGHTS, which might point to a solution of an overhang that let the project keep a lot of the square footage.

I guess what I'm saying is, it is a bit complicated. Before we commit to "ONLY HOUSING OR WERE TAKING OUR TOYS AND GOING HOME" we should LISTEN :)

Jon