Can Paris streetscape inspire SF to create 10,000 new homes?

jengardio

Oct 22, 2018, 2:43:08 PM10/22/18
to SFBA Renters Federation

Examiner article on "Dom-i-city" housing idea that is backed by David Chiu, Katy Tang, Phil Ting and Scott Wiener. Dom-i-city can create 10,000 units on westside and other outer areas of SF. It solves for land creation, financing, affordability and quality of life in ways never considered before in San Franciscowww.sfexaminer.com/can-paris-streetscape-inspire-san-francisco-create-10000-new-homes/

Milo Trauss

Oct 22, 2018, 4:50:25 PM10/22/18
to jengardio, SFBA Renters Federation
Great article, Joel!

Are D4 Sure candidates talking about this? Have any preliminary volunteers to blaze the trail emerged?

If Ting is bored, Ho should be on board to facilitate right?
On Oct 22, 2018, at 11:43 AM, jengardio <jeng...@gmail.com> wrote:

Examiner article on "Dom-i-city" housing idea that is backed by David Chiu, Katy Tang, Phil Ting and Scott Wiener. Dom-i-city can create 10,000 units on westside and other outer areas of SF. It solves for land creation, financing, affordability and quality of life in ways never considered before in San Franciscowww.sfexaminer.com/can-paris-streetscape-inspire-san-francisco-create-10000-new-homes/

jengardio

Oct 22, 2018, 5:28:44 PM10/22/18
to SFBA Renters Federation
Hi Milo! Glad you liked the article. I've heard Jessica Ho talk about Domicity a little bit. Katy thinks it is worth trying and I think Jessica would help if she is elected. Corey Smith from SFHAC is working on Domicity and helping get it in front of elected officials both moderate and progressive to get wide buy-in. We will need to do a marketing campaign and old fashioned organizing to get the residents on board with the concept and willing to participate in the swap to clear land. There are lots of incentives for people to participate from seniors who want to age in place in their neighborhood with an elevator building to younger couples who bought an outdated home because nothing else was available and don't want to spend all the money to upgrade the kitchen and add a bathroom -- they can swap and get all that with a modern Domicity unit!

Milo Trauss

Oct 22, 2018, 5:54:50 PM10/22/18
to jengardio, SFBA Renters Federation
I totally agree.

I feel like the biggest barriers for a pilot are where folks would reside in the meantime, and the arduously long approval process.

A supervisor should be able to intervene to expedite approval however

jengardio

Oct 22, 2018, 6:03:26 PM10/22/18
to SFBA Renters Federation
Milo, there is no wait time for homeowners who choose to swap their land for a Domicity unit! The pilot Domicity is built on open land, infill on a transit corridor. This pilot is where the first wave of land swap participants move into immediately. Building the pilot is key. It is the showcase to get people interested and excited to participate. It's also low risk. Because if for some reason the swap idea doesn't work to scale the program, worst case scenario we have built 15 units of family housing on infill on a transit corridor. We win no matter what. The idea is to get philanthropists, foundations and tech companies to put up the money to pay for the pilot. Then they can get their money back when the last Domicity in the process is built -- all those units can be sold at market rate to pay back the original funders of the pilot. In the meantime, the pilot helps clear more land for more Domicity buildings as land swappers move into the pilot and then move into subsequent Domicity structures. Keep repeating the process until you reach 10,000 new units. The last 15 units in the last Domicity structure are sold at market rate to pay back the people who funded the pilot.

Milo Trauss

Oct 22, 2018, 6:12:09 PM10/22/18
to jengardio, SFBA Renters Federation
Ahhh!! Missed that part!

Makes sense. thanks!

Robert R. Tillman

Oct 22, 2018, 6:40:27 PM10/22/18
to Milo Trauss, jengardio, SFBA Renters Federation

I sat in on the SFHAC presentation on this idea.

In my opinion, it is WAY too complicated to work well.

Robert R. Tillman

RRT Partners LLC

14 Sunshine Ave.

Sausalito, CA 94965

415-332-9242 Telephone

jengardio

Oct 22, 2018, 6:47:08 PM10/22/18
to SFBA Renters Federation
Hi Robert, that presentation you mentioned was more than a year ago. There has been a lot of refinements to the idea. It is a work in progress and it's worth trying. Worst case scenario we build a pilot with 15 units of family housing on a transit corridor. That is good in itself. Best case scenario, the marketing campaign works and enough people participate in the land swap program to scale the idea to 10,000 units. Corey Smith from SFHAC is working on this. Check in with him for updates. We need to think bold to address the housing shortage.

Robert R. Tillman

Oct 22, 2018, 7:09:12 PM10/22/18
to jengardio, SFBA Renters Federation

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Anything that gets us more housing is good.

Robert R. Tillman

RRT Partners LLC

14 Sunshine Ave.

Sausalito, CA 94965