MISSION SUBCOMMITTEE ROLL CALL- please respond if you live or work there (or adjacent)

Jon Schwark

Oct 2, 2015, 11:58:58 AM10/2/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on getting SFBARF involved in the Mission Action Plan, also known as MAP2020. We can set up a meeting with planning to hear where it is so far and give feedback. If you live in or near the Mission, respond to this message so I can keep you updated.

Simply put, MAP2020 is "the plan" the moratorium has been trying to get us to "pause" and wait for. Regardless of the outcome of the Moratorium Ballot, or the fact that some groups may have an interest in dragging their feet as long as possible, we cannot let our voices be stifled in helping to draft it. It is now part of the official framework.

As it was originally conceived, MAP2020 is a city plan, pushed for by housing non-profits and MEDA. It was decided it would be administered by was administered by MEDA as a paid contractor. Read more info about MAP2020 here. Whether because they can now see the conflict of interest, are disappointed with the pace of progress, or have been asked by other non-profits to open the process up, the planning department is now trying to proactively include more stakeholders to get broader feedback. (SFHAC and SPUR have already had such meetings.)

In order to be more focused than just the general participation of our entire Bay Area group, I'd like to set up a list of people who live or work in or near the Mission so we can be seen as on par with the other neighborhood groups and non-profits, and not as an outside group.

Of course if you are particularly interested you are still welcome

MISSION SUBCOMMITTEE :
RESPOND TO THIS POST TO BE INCLUDED

Jon Schwark

Brian Hanlon

Oct 2, 2015, 12:04:05 PM10/2/15
to Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
I live in the Mission and would like to participate in the Mission Subcommittee.

Brian

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 8:58 AM, 'Jon Schwark' via SFBA Renters Federation <SFBAren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm working on getting SFBARF involved in the Mission Action Plan (MAP2020) project. We can set up a meeting with planning to hear where it is so far and give feedback. If you live in or near the Mission, respond to this message so I can keep you updated.

Simply put, MAP2020 is "the plan" the moratorium is trying to get us to "pause" and wait for. Regardless of the outcome of the Moratorium Ballot, we cannot let our voices be stifled in this process.

As it was originally conceived, MAP2020 is a city plan, pushed for by housing non-profits and MEDA that was administered by MEDA (as a paid contractor). Whether because they can now see the conflict of interest, are disappointed with the pace of progress, or have been asked by other non-profits to open the process up, the planning department is trying to include more stakeholders to get broader feedback. (SFHAC and SPUR have already had such meetings.)

In order to be more focused than just the general participation of our entire Bay Area group, I'd like to set up a list of people who live or work in or near the Mission so we can be seen as on par with the other neighborhood groups and non-profits, and not as an outside group.

Of course if you are particularly interested you are still welcome

MISSION SUBCOMMITTEE RESPOND TO THIS POST TO BE INCLUDED

Jon Schwark

Rafael Solari

Oct 2, 2015, 12:09:25 PM10/2/15
to Brian Hanlon, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
I'm in the mission, and I'm into this committee thing.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAH5c7xtcX_BPRbA0wEoopY_LMbwJnZhoB3tbwLH1szNh-k41Zg%40mail.gmail.com.

Annie Fryman

Oct 2, 2015, 5:01:47 PM10/2/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Moving to the Mission next month. Would like to be involved.
Will reach out to my roommates as well.

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:58:58 AM UTC-7, Jon Schwark wrote:
[...]

Katherine Hans Von Rotes schild Zitler

Oct 2, 2015, 6:35:08 PM10/2/15
to Annie Fryman, SFBA Renters Federation
interested yeah

Rabbi Dr Katherine Hans Von Rotes Schild Zitler
President of the Asian Southeast Asian Societies
Director of the Mindchasers
Affliated with 30 other organizations
"Tyranny only exist when there is a conformity of societal thinking"
> --
> This list too heavy for you? Join the ANNOUNCEMENTS ONLY list:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sfbarentersfed-announce and
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/8e62a0bb-5877-46c3-9b86-223d57e3d5a2%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Petrelis

Oct 4, 2015, 3:12:20 AM10/4/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Count me among the interested parties.

Robert Tillman

Oct 4, 2015, 4:34:55 PM10/4/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Please count me in. I own the coon-operated laundry and parking lot at 25th and Mission St.

Mike Schiraldi

Oct 4, 2015, 4:56:05 PM10/4/15
to Robert Tillman, SFBA Renters Federation
On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Robert Tillman <robertr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I own the coon-operated laundry

Oh, I think I've heard of it:

Robert R. Tillman

Oct 4, 2015, 4:58:45 PM10/4/15
to Mike Schiraldi, Robert Tillman, SFBA Renters Federation
:-)

Robert R. Tillman
RRT Partners LLC
14 Sunshine Ave.
Sausalito, CA 94965
415-332-9242 Telephone

my...@jamestownsf.org

Oct 5, 2015, 2:40:56 PM10/5/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:58:58 AM UTC-7, Jon Schwark wrote:
Why would it be a conflict of interest for a Mission based non-profit to be involved -to lead- a plan for the neighborhood they are based and work in? That is why MEDA and other non-profits exist. The fact that you frame it this way makes me wonder how you will lead this discussion. Sonia is always careful and consistent in talking about the SFBA in terms of supporting higher density and development, while being respectful of culture and neighbors. Is that changing?

Sonja Trauss

Oct 5, 2015, 3:53:10 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, SFBA Renters Federation
I think because incumbents, in all neighborhodds and cities, are biased away from new development. Current residents already have a home in the area, so they have no need of new development. New development only has downsides for incumbents: construction, traffic etc, The only time you see people happy about development is when they also own retail businesses in the area (and sometimes not even then), or if the area is very retail starved because population density is too low, or if the development replaces something they find actively dangerous or harmful.

It's not enough to just ask current residents what they think about development because they mostly say no - witness - underbuilding everywhere in the bay area. Our current political process privileges input from project neighbors. That has not resulted in a good outcome. The people most affected by decisions about houses that don't exist yet, are people who don't live here yet, but generally there's no obvious place in the political process for that input to be heard. So having MAP2020 headed up by an incumbent organization guarantees it won't be a plan that adds a significant amount of units.

Maybe Jon was referring to something else though, I don't know.

Join the Sierra Club: https://vault.sierraclub.org/ways-to-give/ by October 6th. Vote for the Executive Committee. Put yourself in this form so I can follow up with you.

Starchild

Oct 5, 2015, 5:18:01 PM10/5/15
to Sonja Trauss, Myrna Melgar, SFBA Renters Federation, Jon Schwark
I was assuming Jon was referring to the fact that MEDA is one of the non-profits that's involved in developing subsidized housing, and thus would have a strong financial incentive to craft a Mission plan that favors their own projects or potential projects, or oppose any plan that doesn't. Here's a screenshot just captured from their website:

MEDA.jpg

Myrna Melgar

Oct 5, 2015, 5:30:17 PM10/5/15
to Starchild, Sonja Trauss, SFBA Renters Federation, Jon Schwark
But isn't developing more housing, including affordable housing what you want?  Why would that be a conflict?

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
Nelson Mandela

Myrna Melgar
Executive Director
The Jamestown Community Center/
El Centro Comunitario Jamestown
3382 - 26th Street
San Francisco, California  94110
(415) 627-8399 (mobile)
(415) 647-4718 (fax)
Join us on:Face

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Starchild <sfdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
        I was assuming Jon was referring to the fact that MEDA is one of the non-profits that's involved in developing subsidized housing, and thus would have a strong financial incentive to craft a Mission plan that favors their own projects or potential projects, or oppose any plan that doesn't. Here's a screenshot just captured from their website:

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

P.S. - I live in the Castro on the edge of the Mission, interested in the Mission subcommittee, although probably not prepared to pour a huge amount of time into it.

Mike Schiraldi

Oct 5, 2015, 5:38:12 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Starchild, Sonja Trauss, SFBA Renters Federation, Jon Schwark
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Myrna Melgar <my...@jamestownsf.org> wrote:
> But isn't developing more housing, including affordable housing what you want?
> Why would that be a conflict?

He just answered that: MEDA "would have a strong financial incentive
to" "oppose any plan that doesn't" "favor their own projects or
potential projects".

Sonja Trauss

Oct 5, 2015, 7:06:48 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Starchild, SFBA Renters Federation, Jon Schwark
lol you tell me - I totally agree, I do not at all see why building (or acquiring) subsidized housing should be in conflict with building market rate housing. Which is why I don't understand why plaza 16 exists, why aren't those 350 units finished today? Why is there a moratorium on the ballot?

Myrna Melgar

Oct 5, 2015, 7:31:54 PM10/5/15
to Sonja Trauss, Jon Schwark, Starchild, SFBA Renters Federation

I do like your spunk, Sonja!  Let's go out for a drink AFTER the election.

There is a moratorium because there is an imbalance of political power, at least as perceived by some.  Peace out!

Robert R. Tillman

Oct 5, 2015, 7:38:55 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Sonja Trauss, Jon Schwark, Starchild, SFBA Renters Federation
There is an imbalance of political power because the young residents in SF, and particularly those in the tech industry, DO NOT VOTE. Therefore, their interests are not represented.

Robert R. Tillman
RRT Partners LLC
14 Sunshine Ave.
Sausalito, CA 94965
415-332-9242 Telephone

From: SFBARF Google Group <SFBAren...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Myrna Melgar <my...@jamestownsf.org>
Date: Monday, October 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: Sonja Trauss <sonja....@gmail.com>
Cc: Jon Schwark <js...@yahoo.com>, Starchild <sfdr...@earthlink.net>, SFBARF Google Group <SFBAren...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [sfbarentersfed] Re: MISSION SUBCOMMITTEE ROLL CALL- please respond if you live or work there (or adjacent)

Starchild

Oct 5, 2015, 8:50:40 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Sonja Trauss, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
Myrna,

Some members of SFBARF like Sonja may differ, but the issue I have with subsidized* housing is where the subsidies are coming from. There are lots of things I want, or think that it would be nice for others to have, but that does not mean I think it is okay to rob and oppress other people in order to fund them. The ends do not justify the means!

Housing subsidies are generally funded with money stolen from the people and filtered through the same institution -- government -- that is simultaneously using this same power to steal from us to wage wars, bomb civilians, spy on us and maintain information on us in secret databases, persecute and incarcerate millions of people for victimless "crimes" such as immigration, drug manufacture/growing, sales and use, prostitution, and homelessness, disproportionately impacting poor people and members of minority groups, suppress entrepreneurship and trade, deny rights to self-determination, etc.

I strongly agree there is an imbalance of power! The imbalance is between those who run government, and use the power of the law and the bureaucracy at their disposal, including its land use regulations, to serve their interests and carry out their own agendas by compulsion (force or the threat of force), often while lining their own pockets and those of their family, friends, and associates, on the one hand -- and those who are their victims, on the other. I stand with the latter group.

The status quo is one of a vast, wealthy, powerful State apparatus, based on an ideology that although it dare not so describe itself openly, is essentially fascist -- and I do not use that term rhetorically, but literally**. This apparatus naturally serves the interests of the class that by definition controls it, i.e. the powerful. 'Twas ever thus. The more power we allow government to accumulate, the more it will become a tool of those with the most power and resources.

Imagining that we can reform this Leviathan and remake it into a vehicle that will sustainably help the poor and downtrodden is a pipe dream, like trying to reverse the law of gravity. The most serious efforts in that direction have all wound up as totalitarian nightmares -- meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss. The only real solution is to reclaim as much power as possible for the people -- not through the filter of some new mechanism of State control, but empowering people directly, as individuals, to unite with other individuals cooperatively as they choose, and not as they are compelled to do in the name of others from the top down. Because even when you think government is serving you and your agenda, in reality it will still be serving the interests of the powerful in less overt ways, and using your good intentions to provide it with moral cover.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

*I notice you used the word "affordable" instead of the word I used, "subsidized", which has a different meaning. If that is because you, too, find government subsidies distasteful, and, like sausage-making, would rather not think about the ugly reality that produces them, then maybe there is hope that you will be open to looking for solutions that produce affordable housing *without* the government ugliness.

 **“Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State, which stands for the conscience and the universal will of man as a historic entity. It is opposed to classical liberalism, which arose as a reaction to absolutism and exhausted its historical function when the State became the expression of the conscience and will of the people. Liberalism denied the State in the name of the individual; Fascism reasserts (the) rights of the State.”
— Benito Mussolini

El oct 5, 2015 4:06 PM, "Sonja Trauss" <sonja....@gmail.com> escribió:
lol you tell me - I totally agree, I do not at all see why building (or acquiring) subsidized housing should be in conflict with building market rate housing. Which is why I don't understand why plaza 16 exists, why aren't those 350 units finished today? Why is there a moratorium on the ballot?

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Myrna Melgar <my...@jamestownsf.org> wrote:
But isn't developing more housing, including affordable housing what you want?  Why would that be a conflict?

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
― Nelson Mandela

Myrna Melgar
Executive Director
The Jamestown Community Center/
El Centro Comunitario Jamestown
3382 - 26th Street
San Francisco, California  94110
(415) 647-4709, ext. 112

Armand Domalewski

Oct 5, 2015, 8:53:32 PM10/5/15
to Starchild, Myrna Melgar, Sonja Trauss, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
to be super clear, Myrna, I think affordable housing is great. as is market rate housing. abundant housing is wonderful. :)

Armand D. Domalewski
(925) 212-3562

Myrna Melgar

Oct 5, 2015, 8:59:19 PM10/5/15
to Starchild, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation, Sonja Trauss

Hi Starchild,

No, I do not find government subsidies distateful.

Starchild

Oct 5, 2015, 9:12:31 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation, Sonja Trauss
Then I trust you won't feel ashamed to call them what they are, instead of hiding them under the "affordable" euphemism.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Mike Schiraldi

Oct 5, 2015, 9:22:42 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Starchild, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation, Sonja Trauss
Me neither, Myrna. Keep in mind, SFBARF is a wide tent. We include
libertarians like Starchild and progressives like me, people who rent,
people who own... generally, anyone who believes that the solution to
a housing shortage is to build more housing.

(I for one think this country isn't going far enough with government
programs, and should expand to include universal single-payer health
care, free education from daycare to PhD, and a basic income, all paid
for by steeply progressive taxes.)
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CANpsHWS21%3DU7-jz8rs61XVra_SsDoY%3DDTmjTnFVP38UtDNsCVQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Myrna Melgar

Starchild

Oct 5, 2015, 10:00:47 PM10/5/15
to Myrna Melgar, Jon Schwark, Sonja Trauss, SFBA Renters Federation
That's further than I go... Personally there is definitely some language that I would feel ashamed to use, even though I support your liberty to use it and applaud your dedication to freedom of speech. Anyway, if I misinterpreted your initial response as an attempt to avoid the word "subsidized" and replace it with a euphemism, I'm glad to hear I was wrong.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Jon Schwark

Oct 5, 2015, 10:11:34 PM10/5/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Hey guys, I'm trying to make this topic a roll call for people who want to be on the committee. If you want to discuss further, there is a MAP2020 topic linked in the top level post.

jon

jlh...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2015, 3:19:50 PM10/11/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
I'd be interested in joining the committee.
Jamie

Jon Schwark

Oct 11, 2015, 7:52:15 PM10/11/15
to SFBA Renters Federation, jlh...@gmail.com
Do you live in the Mission? I'm keeping track of that. -J

Tom Hirschfeld

Oct 18, 2015, 12:32:20 AM10/18/15
to SFBA Renters Federation, jlh...@gmail.com
Hey,
Might be late to the discussion here, but I'd like to participate in the committee too. I live in the mission currently and strongly believe that we need more housing here.

Katherine Hans Von Rotes schild Zitler

Oct 18, 2015, 4:09:18 PM10/18/15
to Tom Hirschfeld, sfbarentersfed
Here here

Rabbi Dr Katherine Hans Von Rotes Schild Zitler
President of the Asian Southeast Asian Societies
Director of the Mindchasers
Affliated with 30 other organizations
"Tyranny only exist when there is a conformity of societal thinking"

> --
> This list too heavy for you? Join the ANNOUNCEMENTS ONLY list:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sfbarentersfed-announce and
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/cd7a765c-d2d7-4157-afae-7b55e3138f53%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Petrelis

Nov 5, 2015, 2:21:24 PM11/5/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
Lemme when this subcommittee is meeting in November, at least I hope it's meeting this month.

Sean

Nov 19, 2015, 9:20:04 PM11/19/15
to SFBA Renters Federation
I am in the Mission if this is ongoing.

Sonja Trauss

Nov 19, 2015, 9:27:35 PM11/19/15
to Sean, SFBA Renters Federation
It is, the meeting is ... December 3rd in the evening.

Register for the 1st ever YIMBY party congress: Sunday, December 6th
Get organized for Nov. 2016

Brian Hanlon

Nov 28, 2015, 12:34:05 PM11/28/15
to Sonja Trauss, Sean, SFBA Renters Federation
Did we finalize the the time and location for the MAP2020 meeting on 3 December?

Sonja Trauss

Nov 30, 2015, 3:38:14 PM11/30/15
to Brian Hanlon, Sean, SFBA Renters Federation
Yeah it's on the sfbarf calendar
--
Vote in the Sierra Club election: http://sfsierraclubbackonmission.tumblr.com/

Starchild

Dec 3, 2015, 11:28:29 PM12/3/15
to Sonja Trauss, Brian Hanlon, Sean, SFBA Renters Federation
Is this happening, or did it happen? I don't see anything on the calendar and can't find any post here with the time and location.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAEMAOD5o2szFacrf9rxfyA1jXXe_WAscMRmWydct6rE%3D%2BKsugQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Petrelis

Mar 28, 2016, 1:09:57 PM3/28/16
to SFBA Renters Federation
What became of this project? Is it still active? Lemme know.