SF - Civic Center - 420 Units at planning Thur 4/2 at noon - threatened

Jon Schwark

Mar 28, 2015, 10:32:22 AM3/28/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
I think this is the final hurdle for the 150 Van Ness - Emerald Fund building (next to the 100 Van Ness building they re-skinned last year)

They had been sailing through the approvals process, but apparently are now expecting a lot of angry parents to show up at the meeting because their building is going in next to a pre-school. It's important to note the school has only been there a couple of years, and the parcel was already zoned for this at the time, so not sure why they are acting surprised.

Full story at socketsite:

I know its a busy week, but it would be nice if we can get at least a couple of people there to speak for them.

Jon

Jon Schwark

Mar 30, 2015, 11:31:03 AM3/30/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
bump

Mike Ege

Mar 30, 2015, 11:44:31 AM3/30/15
to Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
I should be able to go there. So long as I don't get lost in Oakland previous day.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:31 AM, 'Jon Schwark' via SFBA Renters Federation <SFBAren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
bump

Catherine Young

Mar 30, 2015, 3:12:53 PM3/30/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, js...@yahoo.com
Hello SFBARFers,

It is the final hurdle indeed, and they need your help! Write an email or attend Thursday. SFHAC will be there.

MORE INFO:

150 Van Ness is going to a vote for approval at Planning Commission THIS THURSDAY 12pm. The project proposing 420 new homes (incl. 50 BMRs on-site), we suspect is at risk due to community opposition from the adjacent school. This project has been in the planning process for quite a while - for longer than the school has been there.

What's so great about this project? For starters, it proposes to:
  • Transform two parkings lots and a vacant office building into 420 HOMES with active ground floor retail
  • Bring 420 rental homes to excellent location near transit, job and neighborhood amenities
  • Include 50 below-market-rate homes on-site
  • Low parking ratio of 0.5 spaces per home
  • Activate the pedestrian realm and add new life the area
Also, the developer/owner has thoroughly engaged the surrounding community on their plans and responded to feedback that can be accommodated. They've worked hard to get this right, now they need our support to get over the line!

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. Attend Planning Commission and make public comment (Agenda item 13)
When: Thursday April 2. Meeting starts @12pm, the item will likely be up between 1pm and 2pm.
Email me (cath...@sfhac.org) if you would like to coordinate comments with SFHAC and/or get real-time updates on when the item is coming up during the meeting.

2. Write an email to the Planning Commissioners
I will endeavor to use my comment time to read out/ quote or list the names of those who have written letters but could not make it to the meeting to make public comment.

Talking points:
SUBJECT: Vote to pass 150 Van Ness
1. Address to the Planning Commission
2. Introduce yourself - (i.e. Are you a Mid-Market or SF resident? What do you do? Why are you interested?)
3. State that you wanted to be at the meeting but couldn't (if relevant)
4. Why this is important to you (i.e. Benefits to neighborhood/SF, benefits to you, your family/friends)
5. Make your ask - "Please vote to pass 150 Van Ness"

Cheers,
Cat

Catherine Young
Community Organizer | San Francisco Housing Action Coalition
95 Brady Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Office: (415) 541-9001 | Email: catherine@sfhac.org | Web: sfhac.org

Do you live or work in San Francisco and believe we need to build more housing at all levels of affordability?

The San Francisco Housing Action Coalition advocates for the creation of well-designed, well-located housing, at all levels of affordability, to meet the needs of San Franciscans, present and future.

Catherine Young

Mar 30, 2015, 11:03:31 PM3/30/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, js...@yahoo.com
We've just gotten some more background info about the project which could help us make really great/smart supporting comments!

Here's a summary. Full version attached.

1.  The project is within the Market & Octavia Special Use District (M&O SUD)
2.  The M&O Area Plan SUD was adopted by the City in 2008 and was the result of a decade of community meetings and public hearings ("thousands of hours")
3.  The SUD was specifically designed for height & density and includes some of the tallest heights in SF (up to 400')
4.  150VN is building to the approved zoning height of 120'
5.  The 150VN project has been under review by SF Planning since long before the LePort School became a tenant next door

Cat

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 12:12:53 PM UTC-7, Catherine Young wrote:
[...]

150 Van Ness History Letter.pdf

Jon Schwark

Apr 3, 2015, 3:39:42 PM4/3/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Just a followup: 150 Van Ness passed the planning commission on Thursday.

Jon

Catherine Young

Apr 3, 2015, 4:02:00 PM4/3/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
It sure did! Passed unanimously. It was a tense and long hearing but we got there. Thanks a lot for writing letters and speaking!

"After almost three hours of proceedings, and some tears, the Planning Commission voted 7-0 to approve the project."

Office: (415) 541-9001 | Email: cath...@sfhac.org | Web: sfhac.org