Facebooks proposal for thousands of units in Menlo Park

Jon Schwark

Mar 16, 2015, 10:33:02 PM3/16/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
The long version is here in the Mercury news. We should be all over this.

Bob from Imagine Menlo is on the list here... Any more info or context?

Adina Levin

Mar 17, 2015, 1:23:34 AM3/17/15
to Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
Facebook's proposal was compatible with the policy goals that were set as part of Menlo Park's ongoing General Plan process, to improve jobs/housing balance and improve housing affordability.

Given the good "fit" with the goals, the GPAC immediately embraced Facebook's proposed changes into the preferred land use alternative.

The land use changes in the General Plan are focusing on the area near Facebook and Belle Haven; there will also be transportation policy changes citywide.

Disclosures: I sit on the Menlo Park General Plan Advisory Plan committee representing the city's Transportation Commission, and made the recommendations relating to jobs/housing balance which were then supported by the rest of the advisory groups.

- Adina

Bob McGrew

Mar 17, 2015, 1:40:59 AM3/17/15
to Adina Levin, Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
Thanks, Adina!

A couple notes:
  • This actually goes beyond the upzoning that the city had set for itself to include rezoning to allow housing.  This is great!  But it's another hook for people who oppose it to hand their criticisms on.
  • The GPAC was in favor, and Peter Ohtaki gave a positive comment as a city council member.  Since, this year, the MP city council gets along, he would have been unlikely to get out in front of something he knew his colleagues didn't support.
So this is all good.  The commissions and council support this, FB wants to build it.  The next stumbling point is where the anti-growth residents rise and up try to whittle it down.  Fortunately, the usual reasons don't apply here:
  • This is east of 101, so it doesn't introduce "giant" buildings in our quaint, boring downtown.
  • This won't add kids to the Menlo Park schools - it's part of the Ravenswood school district.
  • Since this co-locates housing with offices, it's likely to reduce commute traffic, or at worst have a minimal effect.
ImagineMenlo will support this.  There's an open house on Thursday night that where the public can comment, and at least I'm going to represent IM.

Adina, do you think there's value in someone from SFBARF coming, or should we save that for later if necessary?

Cheers,
Bob

Adina Levin

Mar 17, 2015, 2:23:07 AM3/17/15
to Bob McGrew, Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
I think that coming from afar to comment at a meeting for community member input would be odd, however coming to comment at the upcoming  City Council and Planning Commission joint study session would be fine.

The message from a nonresident member of a regional group would be something along these lines: that housing affordability is a regional crisis; increasing supply to match demand is an essential to improving the situation; there is a growing number of supporters around the region, and hopefully MP will join other cities in contributing to solutions.

Facts will be welcome, and will add helpful perspective.  The most excellent cartoons of monsters, and messaging characterizing those with opposing points of view as selfish NIMBIES will not be welcome or helpful to the cause in the MP venue.

 get a sense of what's being proposed and community interests is

Noveed Safipour

Mar 17, 2015, 3:35:59 AM3/17/15
to Adina Levin, Bob McGrew, Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
I saw this in today's Merc, but somehow it didn't click that Adina was a driving force behind it--I should have known! Was very glad to see this in the news, and thank you Adina and Imagine Menlo for being such a consistent and awesome advocates on these issues.

I may be interested in attending the City Council and Planning Commission meeting. Or perhaps another member of PYD. Is a date or time set for it yet?

Thanks,
Noveed

Armand Domalewski

Mar 17, 2015, 8:50:22 AM3/17/15
to Noveed Safipour, Adina Levin, Bob McGrew, Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
Way to go Adina!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Schwark

Mar 17, 2015, 9:36:05 AM3/17/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, bmc...@cs.stanford.edu, js...@yahoo.com
Thanks for the additional background info, and the warning against coming down and freaking people out.  :)

Great news overall.

Adina Levin

Mar 17, 2015, 12:15:24 PM3/17/15
to Noveed Safipour, Bob McGrew, Jon Schwark, sfbarentersfed
Noveed a PYD member would be helpful.  If a PYD person wants to come to the Thursday community meeting to learn about the land use alternatives and hear what people are saying in order to get up to speed and meet people that would be fine, and I'll be happy to meet them and do some introductions.

Here is the schedule through April.