Berkeley Community Benefits/Housing Mitigation Fee

1 view

Gregory Magofna

Apr 7, 2015, 8:38:52 PM4/7/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
I know a special Berkeley sub-group was created upon my request, I will get to that with specific projects in the coming weeks. I just wanted to let the group know about something on tonight's city council agenda: Significant community benefits for developments over 75 ft in Downtown Berkeley.

The fight is over what else developers should be required to do and NIMBYs have been making outrageously impossible demands to meet to block the project. There is talk of another meeting coming up just on this so it's not the end of the world if no one attends, but it does set the stage for the other 4 tall buildings in downtown. Please plan on coming to the special meeting in May.

Current requirements for Downtown Buidlings THAT DOES NOT include additional "Significant Community Benefits:

Affordable housing requirements
The City’s Affordable Housing Mitigation Fee ordinance requires residential rental projects to pay $20,000 per unit as a mitigation fee to the City’s Housing Trust Fund or provide 10% affordable housing on site. Adding affordable housing on site entitles projects to add more units under the State Density Bonus, which would trigger additional $20,000-per-unit mitigation fee requirements for the added units.

Green requirements
 LEED Gold or equivalent for buildings more than 20,000 square feet
 Free transit pass for each residential unit and each employee
 Recycling and composting
 Parking spaces for car share vehicles
 Parking spaces pre-wired for Level 2 electric vehicle charging stations
 Bicycle parking for commercial development
 Zero net storm water run-off

Open space requirements
 SOSIP (Streets and Open Space Improvement Plan) fee of $2.23 per square foot for new residential and $1.68 for new commercial
 On-site open space or in-lieu fee

Affordable Childcare Mitigation Fee – for commercial development: