🥑 BREAKING NEWS: Two Major Housing Bills Pass in the State Assembly

Laura Foote

Aug 26, 2021, 8:22:02 PM8/26/21
to sfbaren...@googlegroups.com
SB 9 and SB 10 passed their biggest hurdles, getting approval in both the CA Senate and Assembly. The YIMBY movement is getting these crucial bills across the finish line!
Image

Another YIMBY Success Story

Earlier this week, the CA Assembly voted to pass CA Senate Bill 10 (SB 10), and today, CA Senate Bill 9 (SB 9) passed in the CA Assembly after stark resistance from NIMBYs, electeds, and cities all across the state. SB 9 and SB 10 have now overcome their biggest obstacles, and will soon be on their way to the Governor’s desk. These bills mark a significant step in ending exclusionary housing policy.

The YIMBY movement is prevailing — we came together, organized, and made elected officials listen.

Leading up to the vote, YIMBY Action members made over 500 calls, sent over 500 letters, got over 30 Op-Eds and Letters to the Editor published - from small local papers to The LA Times! Thank you to all the volunteers who rallied for more housing. Thank you to all the donors that sustain our organization to make this possible. Thank you to our incredible team of volunteer leads who rallied the call in San Luis Obispo, Ventura County, Orange County, and more. These wins would not be possible without you!

Let’s celebrate these wins and recognize the major players who got these bills across the finish line: Senator Scott Wiener, President pro tempore Toni Atkins, Assemblymember Buffy Wicks, and Assemblymember Alex Lee. We thank them for their dedication to abundant housing for all.

"Single-family zoning is an exclusionary policy—a remnant of racist redlining, which has exacerbated our housing crisis. “Missing middle” housing—like duplexes—are *illegal* in 2/3 of CA. Today the Assembly took a step towards righting this wrong, by passing #SB9. #LegalizeHousing"

-Tweet by Assemblymember Buffy Wicks

SB 9 and SB 10 are great, important, but small steps on the journey of truly ending exclusionary zoning and building communities of abundant, affordable housing for all. Our movement must grow and continue to build our political power.

So, what’s next?

There are so many ways to get and stay involved in YIMBY Action, whether by simply donating or volunteering

Image

YIMBY Action is a network of pro-housing activists fighting for more inclusive housing policies and a future of abundant housing.

Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address, change your name or address, or to stop receiving emails from YIMBY Action - CA, please click here.