Jon Schwark

Apr 13, 2015, 11:53:44 PM4/13/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Adapted from one of Alfred's illustrations a while back, and in keeping with our core value of appropriating the "monster" label as a badge of honor.

I'm thinking there will be versions where we write out the whole name, and versions in color. I'm just nailing down the simplest version, which needs to look good tiny on a flyer in one color.

thoughts?
~jon

Alfred

Apr 14, 2015, 2:10:28 AM4/14/15
to Jon Schwark, SFBAren...@googlegroups.com

Looks nice!  I like how the monsters shape suggests the letters S and F.

Sonja Trauss

Apr 14, 2015, 2:18:03 AM4/14/15
to Alfred, Jon Schwark, SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Can you put the monster in for the "f"?

Are you worried at all that with the cute animal, the serif font and the silly name it'll wind up looking like a logo for a toy store?

Jon Schwark

Apr 14, 2015, 10:15:28 AM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, ma...@firstcultural.com, js...@yahoo.com
I thought about using the monster for a letter, but I wanted to keep maximum readability... I'm pretty happy with how the monster and her arm relates to the type and the shapes, but making it readable as a shaped Illistration would probably cross the "cutesy" line for me.

Yeah, it does have kind of a toy store signage or retail look. If you compare it against all the housing organizations, they all have identities that fit into one of 2 spaces based on their approach to the problem -- really generic corporate looking, or really "fight the power". Like the name BARF, this puts us in a 3rd space that is a little strange and requires more information for the viewer to understand.... BUT once people have heard of us and what we do, it is incredibly memorable, and a little funny, and defies placing us easily in either category. I haven't been 100% behind the strategy behind the name, but this is very much my best effort to extend and improve on it.

98% of the time people will be seeing it in the context of a slogan, tagline, a website, a flyer, or a Tshirt. They will have heard of us or be talking to us.

Jon

On Apr 13, 2015 8:53 PM, "'Jon Schwark' via SFBA Renters Federation" <SFBArentersfed@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Adapted from one of Alfred's illustrations a while back, and in keeping with our core value of appropriating the "monster" label as a badge of honor.

I'm thinking there will be versions where we write out the whole name, and versions in color. I'm just nailing down the simplest version, which needs to look good tiny on a flyer in one color.

thoughts?
~jon

Libby Lee-Egan

Apr 14, 2015, 1:05:43 PM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, ma...@firstcultural.com, js...@yahoo.com
I like what you're going for! I know we're going for a "friendly monster" but what might make it look less "you know, for kids!" is if the monster was a little less toddler-shaped? I think the chubby little legs and big eyes make it seem like a character in a cardboard book. I'm thinking of other logos like mail chimp, hipmunk, the twitter failwhale, or firefox, where the figure looks kind of cute, but not in a childlike way. I think it just needs a little tweaking to be less squishy.

But the serif font contrasts with the word "barf" in a deliciously ironic way, awesome.

Brian Hanlon

Apr 14, 2015, 1:37:36 PM4/14/15
to Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
Given that SFBARF is an acronym, don't you think capital letters makes sense? I like the monster image. It might be harder to make a workable less-cute version of a monster, given that chimps, foxes, whales, and chipmunks are already non-scary creatures.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/fb2df25d-7322-4d13-a6f9-824952fb0fe3%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Ege

Apr 14, 2015, 2:04:52 PM4/14/15
to Brian Hanlon, Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
Eh.... I guess I'm more in favor of corporate aesthetics.

Sonja Trauss

Apr 14, 2015, 2:06:05 PM4/14/15
to Mike Ege, Brian Hanlon, Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
I just like big blocky aggressive fonts.

Mike Ege

Apr 14, 2015, 2:17:15 PM4/14/15
to Sonja Trauss, Brian Hanlon, Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark

1. Sometimes all you need is the acronym in the right font
2. The letters should be green to cenvey environmentalism
3. I'm a Portishead fan.

Sonja Trauss

Apr 14, 2015, 2:52:28 PM4/14/15
to Mike Ege, Brian Hanlon, Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
I forgot about this one! https://www.flickr.com/photos/28585670@N07/16144253125/ I was afraid if I made it star trek would come kill me. I liked that it plays on "Federation"

Libby Lee-Egan

Apr 14, 2015, 2:53:49 PM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, sonja....@gmail.com, hanl...@gmail.com, lib...@gmail.com, ma...@firstcultural.com, js...@yahoo.com
Hey if we're spitballing logo ideas here, I always liked that the traditional house shape is also an arrow pointing up. Meaning that we want to increase the amount of housing but also make them taller. That could be a clever visual

Sonja Trauss

Apr 14, 2015, 3:23:53 PM4/14/15
to Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, hanlonbt, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
This thread is reminding me why unified branding seems like more trouble than its worth. People are really idiosyncratic in their reactions to visuals! I don't want to commit to one look because there is no way everyone is going to respond the same to one look.

Cool how courier is at home everywhere from NSF technical reports to table of contents in a skate magazine. Anyway, you can see I learned to read in the '80s, in a house full of stuff printed in the 70s. No I'm pictures of all the trash I have lying around the house. ok back to work.

Brian Hanlon

Apr 14, 2015, 3:59:51 PM4/14/15
to Sonja Trauss, Libby Lee-Egan, sfbarentersfed, Alfred Twu, Jon Schwark
We already have at least 2 names. Having multiple wacky logos sounds fun. I definitely like the idea of the Star Trek logo, even though I was never a fan. If the ghost of Gene Roddenberry sues us, or more likely, suits from whatever entertainment conglomerate owns the rights to Star Trek, then that's more press for us.

Libby Lee-Egan

Apr 14, 2015, 4:04:13 PM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com, sonja....@gmail.com, lib...@gmail.com, ma...@firstcultural.com, js...@yahoo.com
I've been sneakily using the same fonts on all the flyers I've made. Stealth consistent branding

Jon Schwark

Apr 14, 2015, 6:48:03 PM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Ok. if were just going to have any random logo every time we make something, thats fine. There really isn't any need to develop this further. It's here. Use it you like it and if not, there always impact in whatever green suits you that day :)

Jon

Jon Schwark

Apr 14, 2015, 7:07:58 PM4/14/15
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com

Here is the courier all caps version you asked for. PNG here and SVG attached.

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 8:53:44 PM UTC-7, Jon Schwark wrote:
SFBARF_MonsterLogoV3cour.svg

Jehan Tremback

Apr 15, 2015, 3:08:00 PM4/15/15
to Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
I really like the dinosaur one

Starchild

Apr 15, 2015, 3:39:00 PM4/15/15
to Jehan Tremback, Jon Schwark, SFBA Renters Federation
I like it too -- nice work Jon! -- but I also tend to agree with Sonja that we don't need a single fixed logo. "Branding" is overrated, imho. If applied consistently to housing, for instance, we would all be living in one of a fixed number of cookie-cutter housing designs, as each developer or architect tried to establish their own recognizable "brand". Let a thousand flowers bloom!

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))