Help Avoiding Town Building Code-based Eviction

Isaac Joseph

Mar 24, 2018, 3:34:59 PM3/24/18
to SFBA Renters Federation
Greetings,

This is a very practical post. As far as I can tell, it's within the guidelines of this discussion group; if not, apologies in advance.

Basically, the scenario is that I've been living in a property for about half a year. My landlord recently informed me that the town has recently decided that the structure is not compliant with building codes.

My landlord then sought a permit with the town to make the requisite repairs to bring the structure up to code, but was denied due to claims that the structure was substandard due to not having an original building permit. My landlord says that this is the case due to it having been built before permits existed in this particular town.

Does anyone have any general advice on how to proceed? My inclination is to work with my landlord to prevent the town from condemning the building. So, advice or specific recommendations on lawyers, etc. would be helpful.

Cheers,
Isaac

Robert R. Tillman

Mar 24, 2018, 3:43:02 PM3/24/18
to Isaac Joseph, SFBA Renters Federation

Dear Isaac,

Where is the town? That would help with regard to picking an attorney.

Sincerely,

Bob

Robert R. Tillman

RRT Partners LLC

14 Sunshine Ave.

Sausalito, CA 94965

415-332-9242 Telephone

--
This list too heavy for you? Join the ANNOUNCEMENTS ONLY list:
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/f40f8f30-0107-4ec3-869e-cc163eb52c1a%40googlegroups.com.