ROLLERBALL (1975) (Film Mini-Review by Mark R. L)eeper and Evelyn C. Leeper

Philip De Parto

Apr 5, 2024, 9:20:44 AMApr 5
to SFABC (nj) Movie Group
The following review is reprinted with permission from:

THE MT VOID
04/05/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 40, Whole Number 2322

- - - - - - - - - -

film mini-review by Mark R. Leeper and
Evelyn C. Leeper

ROLLERBALL (1975):

Our film and book group watched the original
1975 ROLLERBALL and read the short story of the same name.  The
themes were are pertinent now as then, but the film does have
problems.  There was (in my opinion) far too much of the sports
aspect.  Obviously one of the ideas behind the film was that the
crowds like violent sports--and the more violent, the better.  The
uniforms and equipment purposely invoke gladiatorial contests, and
the progression of rule changes to make the game even more violent
seems to meet with the approval of the crowds.  The message pushed
by the corporations--that it is the team, not the individual, that
matters, and hence employees are just interchangeable units--is one
that still persists.

There are times that I was reminded of ZARDOZ in some of the
pastimes of the idle rich.  The way women are treated seemed to be
inspired by how they were called "furniture" in SOYLENT GREEN.  And
the use of sharp glass vanes to give the appearance of openness
while actually enclosing a cage/trap was a nice touch.  [-ecl]

Released theatrically 25 June 1975.

Film Credits: <https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rollerball>

cliffh113

Apr 9, 2024, 10:37:16 AMApr 9
to SFABC (nj) Movie Group
It seems like Rollerball was fairly prescient. It predicted huge companies having a tremendous amount of influence on society and even interfering with our daily lives.