OT: custom bike resale value

55 праглядаў
Перайсці да першага непрачытанага паведамлення

R Samuel Klatchko

не прачытана,
15 сту 2020 г., 15:31:5415.01.20
да SF2G
My friend's brother recently passed away and my friend is in the process of settling his estate. His brother was into cycling and had what appears to be a custom built bike. Does anyone have an idea what sort of market there is for resales and how to value the bike. The frame and wheels appear to be carbon and the bike has a mix of Campagnolo and Shimano parts.

There are pictures available at https://bicycle.oddotter.org/

Seth Kirby

не прачытана,
16 сту 2020 г., 23:48:1616.01.20
да SF2G
Sorry to hear about the loss.

No idea on the resale. The frame + wheels + bottle cage look like they come from one of a number of Chinese companies that makes frames + parts and sells them on Alibaba / AliExpress.

The groupset choices are... Strange. 7 speed with a weird spacer paired with a campy triple (8/9 speed? I don't know campy stuff). A mix of road and MTB parts. Can't see the brakes in the pictures.

The wellgo pedals + avenir stem are pretty entry level (~$10 used on ebay). The seat tube looks like it was added aftermarket? (Normally the china frames would have a carbon seat post, looks like it maybe has a shim to make a smaller diameter seatpost work).

Normally I would say someone might buy it for the frame, but the China frames are regarded questionably (a few of the companies have a good reputation [Dengfu, Hongfu, others] but it is unclear what model this is [and they generally don't have brand / model markings]).

I wouldn't expect to get anything too substantial selling it, maybe $100-$150? I would consider donating it as a write-off, I would guess a bike donation place would appraise the donation at a higher value.

Seth Kirby

не прачытана,
16 сту 2020 г., 23:51:3916.01.20
да SF2G
Actually let's say $70 to $150

Darrin Ward

не прачытана,
17 сту 2020 г., 01:47:5817.01.20
да mr.set...@gmail.com,SF2G
yeah this sounds roughly accurate.  agree with seth assessment.

usually a higher value is associated with some sort of name behind said frame or bike.
"firefly" "seven" "moots"
if there is a name it isn't evident from the pictures and usually high end custom builders have some sort of custom badging even if super minimal

you can buy unbranded carbon frames off of a number of sites for 500 bucks if not less.
can not vouch for quality but without a name its hard to tell quality of the the frame build.

the groupset is probably worth more parted out.
people tend to be looking for old campy parts (especially <11 speed) though not deore afaik.

i would donate and take the tax write off.
the write off value maybe worth more than the bike could sell for as is.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Seth Kirby <mr.set...@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually let's say $70 to $150

--
http://sf2g.com
---

R Samuel Klatchko

не прачытана,
17 сту 2020 г., 10:48:4817.01.20
да SF2G
Seth & Darrin - thank you very much for your help.

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 10:47:58 PM UTC-8, Darrin wrote:
yeah this sounds roughly accurate.  agree with seth assessment.

usually a higher value is associated with some sort of name behind said frame or bike.
"firefly" "seven" "moots"
if there is a name it isn't evident from the pictures and usually high end custom builders have some sort of custom badging even if super minimal

you can buy unbranded carbon frames off of a number of sites for 500 bucks if not less.
can not vouch for quality but without a name its hard to tell quality of the the frame build.

the groupset is probably worth more parted out.
people tend to be looking for old campy parts (especially <11 speed) though not deore afaik.

i would donate and take the tax write off.
the write off value maybe worth more than the bike could sell for as is.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:51 PM Seth Kirby <mr.se...@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually let's say $70 to $150

--
http://sf2g.com