OT: Parts bin 9 speed shifter/derailleur

Dan Yang (Millbrae lurker)

Sep 9, 2021, 6:37:28 PMSep 9
to SF2G
I am thinking about upgrading one of my beater mountain bikes from 3x8 to 3x9 as I have a spare wheel and cassette.  Before I look into new options, I want to see if there are old and functional Shimano compatible MTB shifter and deraileur living in your parts bin feeling unloved.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Jason Thorpe

Sep 9, 2021, 9:57:50 PMSep 9
to dsy...@gmail.com, SF2G

> On Sep 9, 2021, at 3:37 PM, Dan Yang (Millbrae lurker) <dsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am thinking about upgrading one of my beater mountain bikes from 3x8 to 3x9 as I have a spare wheel and cassette. Before I look into new options, I want to see if there are old and functional Shimano compatible MTB shifter and deraileur living in your parts bin feeling unloved.

Shimano 8-speed MTB derailleurs will work with Shimano 9-speed MTB / road shifters just fine.

-- thorpej

Dan Yang

Sep 9, 2021, 9:59:54 PMSep 9
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
Thanks!  So I just need a 9 speed shifter?

Jason Thorpe

Sep 9, 2021, 10:39:56 PMSep 9
to Dan Yang, SF2G

> On Sep 9, 2021, at 6:59 PM, Dan Yang <dsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks! So I just need a 9 speed shifter?

Yup, just a 9-speed rear shifter and you should be good to go!

Also, I’m 92.3% sure that you don’t need a new wheel to fit a 9-speed cassette if the old wheel took an 8-speed Shimano MTB cassette.

-- thorpej

Dan Yang (Millbrae lurker)

Sep 10, 2021, 12:42:36 AMSep 10
to SF2G