OT: shift cables?

Nathan Dushman

Mar 19, 2020, 6:55:23 PM3/19/20
to SF2G
I'm trying to finish a mostly-built bike. It will have Shimano 5700 shifters (105 series, under the bar tape routing). I picked up basic Jagwire cables and housing at the Bike Kitchen without looking too carefully at the housing, and now I'm wondering if I should have paid a bit more elsewhere for lubricated cables and housing. I'd rather not discover after I get it all put together that the shifting is poor and I need to re-cable it. Thoughts/experience? The Shimano OT-SP41 shift cable set is cheap, and I still can't figure out the difference between that and the slightly more expensive "Optislick" set.

Nathan

Luis Gonzales

Mar 19, 2020, 7:06:54 PM3/19/20
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
Having worked on bikes for nearly a decade, my opinion is that the higher-end housing makes little difference. You can always coat the cables with some lightweight line yourself. Probably the most important part of the assembly are the ferrules. I’d put some time into getting the nice, sealed Jagwire ferrules.

--
http://sf2g.com
---