garage security

Kurt Wallace

Nov 20, 2021, 4:59:00 PMNov 20
to SF2G
Wasn't there a really good discussion on garage security out here a couple of months ago? I'm trying to remember the really solid chain/lock combo someone recommended for running through a bunch of frames...

kurt

Ryan Moynihan

Nov 20, 2021, 5:06:32 PMNov 20
to ku...@bikesmakelifebetter.com, SF2G
Maybe this one?

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Kurt Martin

Nov 20, 2021, 6:17:50 PMNov 20
to Ryan Moynihan, SF2G
Thanks Ryan!
I’m gonna add another couple layers - I’ll post fotos

Kurt

Scott Crosby

Nov 27, 2021, 4:59:16 AM (7 days ago) Nov 27
to Kurt Wallace Martin, Ryan Moynihan, SF2G
here in France they've taken a more top-down approach to bike theft - apparently every bike now is "obligatoire" to register in a national database and every bike has what they're calling a VIN, like a car. the vendor I've seen in various shops here is Recobike:

apparently they use a "chemical welding" (glue?) process to permanently attach a tag to the frame. not sure how I'd feel about that on a high-dollar rig but it's not bad-looking.

as for the out-of-control bike theft from SF garages and the impunity with which theft rings operate - le sigh. but I think maybe "hardening the box" might be a better approach than more heavy chains (assuming you own your place, obvs). unlocking a bunch of kryptonites would make me less likely to ride (bummer), whereas installing high-security garage doors and electronic combo door locks don't add much/any hassle but would be effective against most intruders. also lots of cameras with defined areas of interest that cause alerts/alarms. maybe throw a Lemonade (etc.) policy on my bikes too, whether homeowner or renter. fast and easy.

what's next, vigilantes? seems likely.