ot: pedal threads on the (drive side) crank

Darrin Ward

Jul 18, 2021, 6:14:40 PM7/18/21
to SF2G
i did something stupid and made it so the pedal threads on the crank
need to be fixed.
this is an area i have no experience with.
i have read on the internets there are ways to fix this.

mikes bikes was very quick to try and sell me a new crank and said
they never recommend trying to fix it unless it is something super
minor. this is "definitely" not one of those cases.

valencia cyclery says they fix it all the time (but i dont necessarily
trust them cause well it valencia cyclery)

having called for rescue rides in the past, done the caltrain walk of
shame with a different fuck up, and well not wanting to kill myself
accidentally.

my question for the list is recommended course of action?
do others have prior experience here?

i would rather not replace the crank as it was $$$ and rather recent
but if i have to, i have to.

d chang

Jul 18, 2021, 6:34:15 PM7/18/21
to dmw...@gmail.com, SF2G
Le dim. 18 juil. 2021 à 15:14, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> a écrit :
i did something stupid and made it so the pedal threads on the crank
need to be fixed.
this is an area i have no experience with.
i have read on the internets there are ways to fix this.

helicoil thread repair are the keywords, basically you drill out the old threading and thread in an insert to the pedal threading. getting the insert aligned is probably the trickiest part.

depending on how the threading got unhappy it might do to just re-tap. this only really works if there's cross threading and enough material left on the spindle interface.

\p

Patrick Kitto

Jul 19, 2021, 1:33:07 PM7/19/21
to SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com
Second what Chang said. Adding in that it’s less likely to be successful on carbon cranks since they already have a tapped insert glued in.

My first day as a bike mechanic (in Davis, CA way back in 2003) the very first thing I did was cross thread a pedal. Second thing I did was watch the senior mechanic retap the threads.

-P

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Darrin Ward

Jul 19, 2021, 1:41:06 PM7/19/21
to Patrick Kitto, SF2G
actually took it into valencia cyclery on sunday and they said there
was "not enough meat" to do a helicoil thread on it. sadly :(