stolen cannondale

David Birdsong

Sep 9, 2021, 6:17:31 PM9/9/21
to SF2G
Ahoy, I'm not even sure if I'm still on this list, but wanted to broadcast this bike theft out in case it has the off chance of helping the owner.

beautiful, what looks to be steel frame, cannondale most likely gone now

Scott Crosby

Sep 13, 2021, 3:12:02 PM9/13/21
to david.b...@gmail.com, SF2G
heh, you’re a tenured professor emeritus or something. you can never be removed.

wow, that is a brazen theft. just busting out the angle grinder in broad daylight, crazy. that old caad3 isn’t worth a whole lot but the owner is probably pretty sad, still a great (aluminum) frame.

so is it true the criminals are taking over SF? that’s what the media is telling me.

--
http://sf2g.com
---

d chang

Sep 13, 2021, 3:30:56 PM9/13/21
to SF2G
Le lun. 13 sept. 2021 à 12:12, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> a écrit :

so is it true the criminals are taking over SF? that’s what the media is telling me.

good and bad, they've diversified from targetting cryan again and again.

\p

David Birdsong

Sep 13, 2021, 3:36:03 PM9/13/21
to Scott Crosby, SF2G
On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 12:11 PM Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
heh, you’re a tenured professor emeritus or something. you can never be removed.

wow, that is a brazen theft. just busting out the angle grinder in broad daylight, crazy. that old caad3 isn’t worth a whole lot but the owner is probably pretty sad, still a great (aluminum) frame.

so is it true the criminals are taking over SF? that’s what the media is telling me.

I hate to play into the media hype, but it does feel different--granted, I've been living in Tahoe mostly since even before covid. I've been hiding out back at Shotwell lately due to wildfire smoke...(funny, Jessica been in shotwell 10 years on Sunday).

So being away and coming back makes the daily bs that one deals with walking on the sidewalks feel even more pronounced I think..but also, it does suck, and is dirtier than ever. One data point is that the stolen goods/trashpiles get closer and closer. There's one on 25th at Capp, easily 15 strollers, 10 or so bikes, tons of luggage. It's ridiculous, I wish I knew what or who to blame for this crap--but it's probably the cops teaching us that we shouldn't ask for reform or vote in anyone they don't like to the DA's office.

Tuesday night, just 2 days prior, I'd forgotten to lock Lyft ebike and got a ping that the battery was dying, opened the app, saw that it was being ridden all over, currently in SOMA, tracked it down, creeped up on the perp, "convinced him" to give it back, and docked it. I'm pretty sure I saved myself $1500. He had been hanging in the Tehama alley at 9th for over 20 mins, but when I got there suddenly made his way over to Howard and was hanging behind a panel truck (looked like an old uhaul), where dudes were loading bikes. After thinking on it, I think he was waiting in the alley for the standard pick up time, nobody on the panel truck was even remotely interested in our "discussion" and tried to intervene, so I my guess is I happened upon the regular stolen-bikes-for-cash-pickup in front of Mike's bikes at 9pm on Tuesdays. The vigilante in me is curious to cruise by tomorrow evening to confirm my suspicions...or we might just go back to Tahoe now that the smoke might have finally died down enough.

Darrin Ward

Sep 13, 2021, 4:00:35 PM9/13/21
to David Birdsong, Scott Crosby, SF2G
I think I am from the opposite side where I have been in the mission
the entire time and it actually feels better than the start of covid
(last march)
The zombie apocalypse of everyone boarding up their shops, restaurants
and venues left a somewhat dramatic image in my head.
And sf sidewalk poop brown is considerably less than it has been a few
years back after they opened up more public bathrooms.
But eh yeah the mission is still dirty.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sf2g/CABJfL5i33-M%3DMv0O0AJ8uE6%2BwyENnweU9HESGQ6u2iXoj0ve4Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Brett Lider

Sep 13, 2021, 4:02:27 PM9/13/21
to David Birdsong, Scott Crosby, SF2G
Our country has a super shitty social safety net. If you have a medical crisis and are not rich or have relatives who can take you in, you will end up homeless. Same thing for mental health: if you have a condition that makes it likely for you to reject care and you do not have good resources/family, you will end up homeless. Once homeless, you are likely to stay that way until you die, prematurely. While living in squalor and almost invariably addicted to drugs as a coping mechanism, of course you steal shit, you leave trash everywhere. No one has time to find a trash can when they are dragging all their worldly possessions around in a suitcase.

In my #RER of San Francisco (88% complete), I have seen nearly every homeless encampment and public housing project. I have seen how much of the city is underutilized for housing - there are empty acres and acres of land. I have seen people trying to live with some dignity on the streets, constructing shacks and tents for themselves until the city or Caltrans tears them down. Talk about something that would drive you to mental illness and addition if you were not already there. And we have navigation centers and even camper parking lots, but no "earthquake shack" project to build new blocks of housing.

If we decided to rezone some of the empty SE industrial quadrant and build cheap but safe supportive housing, there is more than enough space. Looking at the homeless budget in SF and the trillions of dollars sloshing their way through the Bay Area, there is more than enough money. What we lack is unity and political (which mean public sentiment reflecting in public leadership) to make these things happen.

Christine Ryan

Sep 13, 2021, 4:05:24 PM9/13/21
to d chang, SF2G
I *guess* I should be happy about this development??

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Jason Thorpe

Sep 13, 2021, 4:33:39 PM9/13/21
to bli...@gmail.com, David Birdsong, Scott Crosby, SF2G

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 1:02 PM, Brett Lider <bli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If we decided to rezone some of the empty SE industrial quadrant and build cheap but safe supportive housing, there is more than enough space. Looking at the homeless budget in SF and the trillions of dollars sloshing their way through the Bay Area, there is more than enough money. What we lack is unity and political (which mean public sentiment reflecting in public leadership) to make these things happen.

2 great big problems that SF has making it difficult to fix this:

- The fucking NIMBYs.

- The Homeless Industrial Complex (i.e. the patchwork of NPOs that compete for the City's homeless program dollars ... their existence depends on maintaining the status quo). I have a close friend who used to work for such an NPO here in the City and eventually gave up in frustration and switched jobs (now a social worker in a neighboring Bay Area county).

-- thorpej

Ken MacInnis

Sep 13, 2021, 4:40:06 PM9/13/21
to thor...@gmail.com, David Birdsong, SF2G, Scott Crosby, bli...@gmail.com
The city has a $300M budget for services, though of course it’s not as simple as dividing that by the 10-20k folks.

Those tents in Civic Center (and elsewhere) are $5k/month in costs, each.

I agree that the problem is not with the people in the tents. But there are massive problems.

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Christine Ryan

Sep 13, 2021, 4:58:02 PM9/13/21
to Ken MacInnis, Jason Thorpe, David Birdsong, SF2G, Scott Crosby, Brett Lider
To go back to bike thefts for a moment, I'm not totally convinced that the guys who are breaking into garages are homeless/street people...not that there aren't plenty of bike thefts and chop shops on the street . But the garage thing seems a bit too organized and systematic, with the drilling and the consistent m.o.s.  But maybe that's the result of my watching way too many crime dramas on TV in childhood...

Jason Thorpe

Sep 13, 2021, 5:06:16 PM9/13/21
to Christine Ryan, Ken MacInnis, David Birdsong, SF2G, Scott Crosby, Brett Lider

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 1:57 PM, Christine Ryan <crya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To go back to bike thefts for a moment, I'm not totally convinced that the guys who are breaking into garages are homeless/street people...not that there aren't plenty of bike thefts and chop shops on the street . But the garage thing seems a bit too organized and systematic, with the drilling and the consistent m.o.s. But maybe that's the result of my watching way too many crime dramas on TV in childhood...

100%. The people breaking into garages and poaching bikes off the street with tools are professional thieves, probably with established fence networks.

-- thorpej

Jeffrey Tong

Sep 13, 2021, 6:42:28 PM9/13/21
to thor...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, Ken MacInnis, David Birdsong, SF2G, Scott Crosby, Brett Lider

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Scott Crosby

Sep 15, 2021, 12:00:16 PM9/15/21
to SF2G, Jason Thorpe, Christine Ryan, Ken MacInnis, David Birdsong, Brett Lider
well said, Lider. I agree the earthquake shack model is long overdue - just effing build a few thousand basic cabins on the vast swathes of unused land in southeast SF and add some shipping containers with medical services, stores, etc. - the city should be on a disaster footing to deal with this.

is hunter's point still a superfund site? does #RER require some creative interpretation of which streets are public? heh.

regarding the "crime epidemic" in SF, this is a good interview with DA Boudin in the Atlantic. hard not to like the guy after reading it: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/09/chesa-boudin-san-francisco-crime/620063/

that said, seems like every single person I know with a garage in SF has had a break-in (or 2). I don't think that's "normal."

David Birdsong

Sep 15, 2021, 1:38:14 PM9/15/21
to Scott Crosby, SF2G, Jason Thorpe, Christine Ryan, Ken MacInnis, Brett Lider
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 9:00 AM Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
well said, Lider. I agree the earthquake shack model is long overdue - just effing build a few thousand basic cabins on the vast swathes of unused land in southeast SF and add some shipping containers with medical services, stores, etc. - the city should be on a disaster footing to deal with this.

is hunter's point still a superfund site? does #RER require some creative interpretation of which streets are public? heh.

regarding the "crime epidemic" in SF, this is a good interview with DA Boudin in the Atlantic. hard not to like the guy after reading it: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/09/chesa-boudin-san-francisco-crime/620063/

awesome, will check this out. i voted for the guy and have been wanting to hear more about his approach, how he thinks it's going, what's next etc...

i care about results more, but liberals face an unending uphill battle when it comes to winning and then holding on to power. at some point the optics of what's on the ground starts to matter. i'm tired of the likes of seattle and sf being such an easy punching bag for hard right pundits. there are aspects of our local life that are a mess and need cleaning up and yet i cringe at my own internal dialogue uttering the likes of "enough is enough" or any of the other law and order bs that masks a fascisct bent.

still, i think we could differentiate compassion, care, and empathy(and the voting and funding to back it) from having to accept mountains of stolen property on our neighborhood corners, feces and needles on the ground, and violent (yes clearly in crisis, but still violent nonetheless) people walking amongst us.

jason, i really appreciate this "homeless industrial complex" coinage...i'm going to fold that into my lexicon for immediate use. cheers.