Re: Abridged summary of sf2g@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Manoj Aggarwal

Aug 31, 2022, 5:33:54 PM8/31/22
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Any idea why bollards were put in place in the first place? While it is extremely saddening to hear that someone died due to a collision with a bollard,I wonder if removing them can lead to a greater chance of  vehicle /cyclist accidents.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 8:03 AM <sf...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"John Murphy" <ta...@murphstahoe.com>: Aug 30 07:36PM -0700

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/la-rosa-tequileria-co-owner-chef-rob-reyes-dies-in-biking-accident-at-52/

At the bottom of Eris Weaver's missive is the link to email the usual suspects. ...more
David Goldsmith <d...@dgolds.com>: Aug 30 08:06PM -0700

Yeah, fuck bollards.

Do you guys have a petition? I'll sign.

On 8/30/22 7:36 PM, John Murphy wrote:
...more
"John Murphy" <ta...@murphstahoe.com>: Aug 30 08:17PM -0700

All I have so far is "email the head of County Park/Rec"

bert.w...@sonoma-county.org

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022, at 8:06 PM, David Goldsmith wrote:
...more
Anand Mandapati <an...@resistance.net>: Aug 30 10:28PM -0700

Argh. So crazy. I ride that area all the time and have almost bit it a few times on those bollards. But still would never have imagined them resulting in a death. I’ve emailed Sonoma County ...more

John Murphy

Sep 1, 2022, 7:21:12 PM9/1/22
to sf...@googlegroups.com
The bollards this guy hit are ridiculous. I'm not quite sure how you could get a car onto that path. There are several narrow sections, a one (bike) lane bridge, tight dirt turns, etc.

The bollard I hit, you'd have to drive up the path from the end of Crittenden, then might a tight turn onto the path on Steven's Creek. And if you really wanted to, you could just get out of your car, and remove the bollard which is not locked down. And even if you were lazy, the bollard is wood and you could just run it over. Rather than putting in that bollard, they could just narrow the entry way.

If this were a real problem we'd be hearing a lot more stories of cars running over bollards than stories of cyclists who hit bollards.

John

--
---