Re: Protected MMD lanes on El Camino Real

Kurt Wallace

Nov 9, 2021, 11:45:35 AM11/9/21
to Jeffrey Tong, Patrick Kitto, Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Yuanyu Chen, SF2G
a key part of the mathematical assumption there is the use of 12' lanes. 11' would be better for controlling speeds and voila --> you've found another 10'.
_____________________________________

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 8:10 AM Jeffrey Tong <tong.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
See attachments.

San Bruno's Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan alleges that... "Bike lanes may not be feasible on El Camino Real in the short or medium terms.  The lanes are not W-I-D-E enough to accommodate them, 10 lanes x 12' per lane = 120' (100 feet + 20 extra feet stolen from pedestrian sidewalks to make turn lanes) aren't wide enough?  🤣

...and there is little public support at this time for the removal of traffic lanes."

The more room you give them, the more they want.  This is a REAL ESTATE WAR!!

Jeffrey Tong, co-founder
www.ColinasCosteras.com
Community Wildlife Habitat
650.302.2190

Please support us at
https://www.bonfire.com/store/colinas-costeras/

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021, 18:32 Jeffrey Tong <tong.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Kurt

If any SF2G members travel through, work, or live in San Bruno or Millbrae (meaning you have a vested interest), will you collectively join me to lobby San Bruno and Millbrae to PASS A RESOLUTION to repurpose on-street car parking for Micro-Mobility Device (MMD) lanes on El Camino Real, between San Bruno Ave and Millbrae Ave?

This 2.7 mile segment of ECR in SB & Mllbrae is the Critical Pathway which closes the Bay Trail Gap @ SFO.  RWC already has approved bike lanes on ECR, but haven't figured out the best design yet.

Vision for ECR @ San Bruno & Millbrae
 🚲  🛵 🌳 🚍  🚘 ↔️ 🚘  🚍 🌳 🛵  🚲
9.5' 9.5' 5' 11' 10' 10' 10' 11' 5' 9.5' 9.5' = 100'

CalBike.org, SierraClub.org, and Silicon Valley Bike Coalition support me https://www.svvoice.com/cyclists-advocate-for-fully-protected-lanes-on-el-camino/, but I need foot soldiers 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️.  During this post Covid era, that essentially means internet participants (fingers on the keyboard) during appropriate city committees and city council Zoom meetings.  I'll give you heads up when they meet.  Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Tong, co-founder
www.ColinasCosteras.com
Community Wildlife Habitat
650.302.2190

Please support us at
https://www.bonfire.com/store/colinas-costeras/

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021, 14:21 Kurt Wallace <ku...@bikesmakelifebetter.com> wrote:
nice graphic Jeffrey!
_____________________________________

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 3:38 PM Jeffrey Tong <tong.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bike lanes should be on par with auto lanes - not narrow 5' gutters.

Please champion PARITY for all vehicle types.

Existing on El Camino Real
🚘  🚘 🚘 🚘 _🌳_ 🚘 🚘 🚘  🚘

Vision (idealized)
 🚲  🛵 🌳 🚍  🚘 ↔️ 🚘  🚍 🌳 🛵  🚲
10'  10'  5' 10' 10' 10' 10' 10'  5'  10'  10' = 100'

Vision (compromise to accommodate 11' bus lane)
 🚲  🛵 🌳 🚍  🚘 ↔️ 🚘  🚍 🌳 🛵  🚲
9.5' 9.5' 5' 11' 10' 10' 10' 11' 5' 9.5' 9.5' = 100'

Jeffrey Tong, co-founder
www.ColinasCosteras.com
Community Wildlife Habitat
650.302.2190

Please support us at
https://www.bonfire.com/store/colinas-costeras/

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021, 09:37 'Kurt Martin' via SF2G <sf...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here’s a level or two up
Looks like brush plus suction

Kurt

On Nov 4, 2021, at 22:14, Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sounds like you need to invent the bike lane plow, which would be followed by the bike lane sweeper.  Since pushing larger debris takes a fair bit more force, maybe that should be on the front of a tandem...

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 5:48 PM Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
Definitely a cool idea though it looks like they're geared towards very small debris. So it would help clean up shattered glass but not much of the other random crap we see in bike lanes (cardboard boxes, intact glass bottles, roadkill, etc...)

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 5:03 PM Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heh I admit inventions based on the failures of local and state governments both amuse and annoy me.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Yuanyu Chen <yuany...@gmail.com> wrote:
but you have to bike through the glass to sweep up the glass...

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM 'Kurt Wallace' via SF2G <sf...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Peter can tow it.

_____________________________________

Jeffrey Tong

Nov 10, 2021, 3:04:19 PM11/10/21
to Kurt Wallace, Patrick Kitto, Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Yuanyu Chen, SF2G
NACTO says 10' is even better for safety!

Basis for championing

Vision for ECR @ San Bruno & Millbrae
 🚲  🛵 🌳 🚍  🚘 ↔️ 🚘  🚍 🌳 🛵  🚲
9.5' 9.5' 5' 11' 10' 10' 10' 11' 5' 9.5' 9.5' = 100'
Jeffrey Tong, co-founder
www.ColinasCosteras.com
Community Wildlife Habitat
650.302.2190

Please support us at
https://www.bonfire.com/store/colinas-costeras/

Jeffrey Tong

Nov 10, 2021, 4:41:24 PM11/10/21
to Kurt Wallace, Patrick Kitto, Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Yuanyu Chen, SF2G
Screenshot_20210114-115510_Chrome~2.jpg
20211016_151113.jpg
20211106_194400.jpg