Bridge to nowhere closure

Zak Jarvis

Oct 23, 2017, 12:32:18 PM10/23/17
to SF2G
The bridge is closed from 10/24 to 10/27.

I just snuck through, but I doubt that will be possible much longer, and it was a pain to do.

Peter Colijn

Oct 23, 2017, 12:36:57 PM10/23/17
to Zak Jarvis, SF2G
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. It might be time to resurrect the LeBariation...

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Zak Jarvis <voidm...@gmail.com> wrote:
The bridge is closed from 10/24 to 10/27.

I just snuck through, but I doubt that will be possible much longer, and it was a pain to do.

---

Zak Jarvis

Alexandre Passos

Oct 23, 2017, 12:49:20 PM10/23/17
to Zak Jarvis, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Well, we saw what happened when the other bridge closed, so...

---

 - Alexandre

Charles Guthrie

Oct 23, 2017, 2:35:58 PM10/23/17
to SF2G
What bridge is that?

Alexandre Passos

Oct 23, 2017, 3:08:26 PM10/23/17
to Charles Guthrie, SF2G

---

 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

Oct 23, 2017, 11:00:22 PM10/23/17
to Alexandre Passos, Zak Jarvis, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
I'm sure it'll be re opened any day now. Maybe even by 2035.

Cordelia Link

scott :)

Oct 26, 2017, 12:36:03 AM10/26/17
to SF2G
I read this the other day and had no idea what it meant. For the record, the pedestrian bridge in Redwood City by the docktown marina is closed until 10/27 (per the sign).

L. Perry Birch, Jr.

Oct 26, 2017, 1:32:32 PM10/26/17
to voidm...@gmail.com, SF2G
The bridge itself is open, you just need to follow the detour signs and ride around the front side of the new Marriott hotel there.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 23, 2017, at 09:32, Zak Jarvis <voidm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The bridge is closed from 10/24 to 10/27.
>
> I just snuck through, but I doubt that will be possible much longer, and it was a pain to do.

Matthew Blain

Oct 26, 2017, 1:39:32 PM10/26/17
to SF2G
Surely there's better pictures, but I found this bit of history: https://patch.com/california/redwoodcity-woodside/bp--progress-on-the-bike-bridge-to-nowhere

Christine Ryan

Oct 26, 2017, 1:42:14 PM10/26/17
to Matthew Blain, SF2G
Awww...it used to be so fun! (Even on a road bike.)

---

Daniel Hobe

Oct 26, 2017, 1:55:15 PM10/26/17
to Christine Ryan, Matthew Blain, SF2G
--
Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Zak Jarvis

Kurt Wallace Martin

Oct 26, 2017, 1:57:43 PM10/26/17
to ho...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, Matthew Blain, SF2G
That's a great photo! I still have some gloves that are torn up from crashing trying to set the BTN KOM a few years ago. Those approaches are so charmingly awkward

Mark Kahn

Scott Perry

Oct 26, 2017, 2:13:20 PM10/26/17
to matthe...@gmail.com, SF2G
Thanks for sharing that link! I lived on a boat at Pete’s Harbor when I first moved to the US in ‘94. That area is so different now as to be unrecognizable; it’s nice to be reminded that it wasn’t all a dream :)

Justin!

Oct 26, 2017, 2:14:21 PM10/26/17
to SF2G
The surprise dirt at the bottom is an SF2G rite of passage!!!

John Murphy

Oct 26, 2017, 2:14:40 PM10/26/17
to sf...@googlegroups.com
There was a lip on the left side that didn't require the bunny hop but that line was slower if you were going for a KOM.

The first time I did an SF2G I met both Crosby's and someone else, might have been Altendorf, at Ritual at 6:30 in January. I was in pretty good form and confident but wasn't really completely aware of what I had signed up for, being a died in the wool Skyline guy.

Tunnel Road in the dark in the fog. Then riding at breakneck speed towards the end of a parking lot in hotel land having no knowledge of that little white ramp and cut through the trees.
Then riding straight into a dirt field heading towards this strange bridge.

Just as I was starting to feel "Yeah I got this" i rode over the bridge at top speed and then saw the dropoff at the other side. Came that close to it being my *last* SF2G.

Fun times.

Kurt Wallace Martin

Oct 26, 2017, 2:37:43 PM10/26/17
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
It's not SF2G without nervously looking over someone shoulder, fingers twitching on the brake levers…

Alexandre Passos

Oct 27, 2017, 12:47:53 PM10/27/17
to Kurt Wallace Martin, John Murphy, SF2G
It is indeed open, just follow the signs for detour and watch out for the curb and you'll be fine.

---

---

 - Alexandre

Zak Jarvis