OT: electric long-tail options: add a motor, buy used, buy new?

Nathan Dushman

May 27, 2022, 4:55:01 PM5/27/22
to SF2G
A few months back I bought a used Xtracycle Edgerunner 30D - nice components, no motor. It's been great for hauling my kids around, but I should have gotten a bike with a motor. I'm confident I want a long-tail, not a front-loader, and I think I'd get another Xtracycle or something similarly long (maybe a Yuba). I want a mid-drive  motor. I can afford to buy new, but in general I'd rather save a little money. Should I:
- add a motor to my existing Xtracycle (which would probably mean new cranks as it currently has a triple)
- buy a used bike (The New Wheel used to have used listings, although as of right now that page is unavailable), and if so, do I only want one built in the last 2-3 years, or is older OK?
- buy new

Thanks for any recommendations and opinions!

Nathan

Scott Crosby

May 28, 2022, 6:33:27 AM5/28/22
to nathan...@gmail.com, SF2G
you can’t add a crank motor such as a Bosch (different purpose-built frame required) so you’d need to do a Bafang-type retrofit, which would be a bit of a project but might work well. the hub-style motor is easy to integrate and works so-so but yeah the mid-drive is far superior.

I really liked the Xtracycle mid-drive I tested a few years ago, but (and you knew this was coming) I’m 100% sold on the superiority of the front-loader style, mostly due to the far-lower center of gravity and much better non-kid cargo capacity, but people also love Yubas and Rads, and they are much less $$$.

so, given your stated desires, I’d probably go used Xtracycle or Yuba with Bosch power. get an extra battery to take with you on longer excursions - I recently found a site selling them for ~$500.

cargo bikes rule!

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Kurt Wallace

Jun 1, 2022, 2:00:04 PM6/1/22
to Scott Crosby, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
we've used bafang conversions on a fleet of Xtracycles for years. They require some maint after they get beat on but have held up well, even though we use them to haul heavy stuff.

Justin!

Jun 9, 2022, 6:08:18 PM6/9/22
to SF2G
Hi All-

Sort of on topic for this thread, I'm selling a nice clean 2016 Xtracycle Edgerunner 30D (3 x 10, not electric) in great condition and very few miles. I keep lowering my price and almost no bites. I've tried Craigslist and Facebook so far. I'm sure I have over $4000 in this bike with all the kid seats, etc. and I would sell for $1500 at this point.

Let me know if anyone might be interested or know of someone who might be interested. I think most in this area want a motor, but this bike served me well when I had young kids in a flat area.

Thanks,
Justin