Raspberry Pi

Chris Puttick

May 9, 2011, 3:22:00 AM5/9/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
Did I miss this being posted somewhere?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Kinda makes open source inevitable for schools in a way even those
most resistant can understand. Whole computer for less than cost of OS
upgrade...

Regards

Chris

--
@putt1ck
putt1ck.blogspot.com

Opinions in this email are my own and may not reflect that of my
clients, past employers, associates, friends, family, pets etc..

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info

Ian Lynch

May 9, 2011, 4:09:22 AM5/9/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 9 May 2011 08:22, Chris Puttick <cput...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did I miss this being posted somewhere?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Kinda makes open source inevitable for schools in a way even those
most resistant can understand. Whole computer for less than cost of OS
upgrade...

But I doubt most schools will use these devices for general purpose IT. They were developed for teaching computer science and that is not even a small niche in most schools. I'd say that by the time that cultural change takes place Android based mobile devices will be ubiquitous so it seems to me that this is more likely scenario for displacing Windows. What the raspberry shows is that low cost mobile computing hardware is going to come down to such a low price that paying £70 a machine for an OS license is unsustainable. Of course MS will drop the price of Windows licenses and they are porting to ARM. So until the vast majority of apps that schools use move away from Windows dependency I can't see say Ubuntu taking over. Probably the best chance to break Windows apps dependency is to get those apps into the cloud. That is happening but it's still going to take time. With all the important apps in the cloud the OS in the local device doesn't matter so we might even see a range of them as with mobile phones.

Regards

Chris

--
@putt1ck
putt1ck.blogspot.com
skype:putt1ck

Opinions in this email are my own and may not reflect that of my
clients, past employers, associates, friends, family, pets etc..

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info

Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
The Schools ITQ
www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

John Ingleby

May 9, 2011, 2:08:16 PM5/9/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 9 May 2011 09:09, Ian Lynch <ianr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But I doubt most schools will use these devices for general purpose IT. They
> were developed for teaching computer science and that is not even a small
> niche in most schools. I'd say that by the time that cultural change takes
> place Android based mobile devices will be ubiquitous so it seems to me that
> this is more likely scenario for displacing Windows. What the raspberry
> shows is that low cost mobile computing hardware is going to come down to
> such a low price that paying £70 a machine for an OS license is
> unsustainable. Of course MS will drop the price of Windows licenses and they
> are porting to ARM. So until the vast majority of apps that schools use move
> away from Windows dependency I can't see say Ubuntu taking over. Probably
> the best chance to break Windows apps dependency is to get those apps into
> the cloud. That is happening but it's still going to take time. With all the
> important apps in the cloud the OS in the local device doesn't matter so we
> might even see a range of them as with mobile phones.

Interestingly, I replaced the monitors on our Ubuntu thin clients with
snazzy new wide LCD panels, leaving some older flat panels on Windows
XP machines. Now the kids come in and fill up the Linux systems first,
never mind they are ancient Dell Optiplex machines under the table!
Windows is un-cool, left for the late comers.

I'm looking out for a tablet that will plug into the school network,
and also hook up to a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Not quite there
yet.

John

Ian Lynch

May 9, 2011, 2:24:22 PM5/9/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com

I'm looking out for a tablet that will plug into the school network,
and also hook up to a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Not quite there
yet.

Steve Lee

May 9, 2011, 2:47:50 PM5/9/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 9 May 2011 19:24, Ian Lynch <ianr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking out for a tablet that will plug into the school network,
>> and also hook up to a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Not quite there
>> yet.
>
> http://www.pdfdevices.com/is-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-the-leading-honeycomb-tab-of-today/

It does look great doesn't it?
DJ from www.h-online.com said last week that at the mo you can only
get the 'trans' bit and not the 'former' :)

Steve

Chris Puttick

May 10, 2011, 12:48:46 AM5/10/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 9 May 2011 19:24, Ian Lynch <ianr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm looking out for a tablet that will plug into the school network,
>> and also hook up to a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Not quite there
>> yet.
>
> http://www.pdfdevices.com/is-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-the-leading-honeycomb-tab-of-today/

And the Notion Ink Adam:

http://www.notionink.in/