SOAP & SIF

John Ingleby

Jan 13, 2011, 4:38:25 AM1/13/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com, John Ingleby
I can hardly remember what this is about, but it's a Good Thing, right?

John

Steve Lee

Jan 13, 2011, 4:47:33 AM1/13/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 13 January 2011 09:38, John Ingleby <jo...@coronet.co.uk> wrote:
> I can hardly remember what this is about, but it's a Good Thing, right?
> http://bit.ly/fMHHIS

Hi John

hmm, IMHO SOAP is a heavy weight protocol for developers to use with a
high cost of entry (you need special libraries). It's also getting a
little out of fashion.

A RESTful approach [1] is much simpler and more in tune with the way
the web works. These days many web services use the REST approach so
the can actually be used. Perhaps that will come soon?

1: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-restful/

Steve Lee
Full Measure

phil

Jan 13, 2011, 5:02:44 AM1/13/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com, Steve Lee
On Thursday 13 Jan 2011, Steve Lee wrote:
> On 13 January 2011 09:38, John Ingleby <jo...@coronet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I can hardly remember what this is about, but it's a Good Thing, right?
> > http://bit.ly/fMHHIS
>
> Hi John
>
> hmm, IMHO SOAP is a heavy weight protocol for developers to use with a
> high cost of entry (you need special libraries). It's also getting a
> little out of fashion.
>
> A RESTful approach [1] is much simpler and more in tune with the way
> the web works. These days many web services use the REST approach so
> the can actually be used. Perhaps that will come soon?

+1
I don't think I've come across anyone (except MS shops) starting a new
development using SOAP in the last 5 years, but perhaps that impression's
skewed by the circles I move in.

--
Phil Driscoll

Steve Lee

Jan 13, 2011, 5:20:48 AM1/13/11
to phil, sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com
On 13 January 2011 10:02, phil <ph...@dialsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 Jan 2011, Steve Lee wrote:
>> On 13 January 2011 09:38, John Ingleby <jo...@coronet.co.uk> wrote:
>> > I can hardly remember what this is about, but it's a Good Thing, right?
>> > http://bit.ly/fMHHIS

> I don't think I've come across anyone (except MS shops) starting a new

> development using SOAP in the last 5 years, but perhaps that impression's
> skewed by the circles I move in.

I get the impression some unknown large corporates have lobbied for it
.That would make some sort of sense, if possibly misguided and
outdated.

--
Steve Lee

Full Measure - open source accessibility - http://fullmeasure.co.uk

Tom Hoffman

Jan 13, 2011, 6:15:53 PM1/13/11
to sf-uk-...@googlegroups.com, Steve Lee

See also: http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/simon-says/2010/11/the-end-of-the-road-for-web-services/index.htm

otoh, a 10 year out of date technology is pretty much cutting edge
from the point of view of most schools.

--Tom