SF Bike Planners Unite!

Matt H

Nov 19, 2009, 1:41:28 PM11/19/09
to sf-bike-planner
Hello,

It is gratifying to see that there is so much interest in creating a
route planner for the cyclists of SF. Thanks, Amar, for setting up
this list and getting the ball rolling.

However, it seems that there are several of us working independently
with no real cooperation.

Over a year ago, I also started monkeying around with a route planner
for the East Bay. Here is the prototype that I came up with, which
only works for a small area around Lake Merritt, where I lived at the
time. It also doesn't know about hills yet.

http://ebmgh.com/bike.html

In a fit of optimism, I also parked the domain name bikethebay.org.
Unfortunately, work and personal life intervened and, to be honest, I
became a little overwhelmed as I got down to the nitty-gritty of
editing route data. Not a one-man job!

I propose that we all put our heads together and collaborate. I think
we can do something better and more quickly together than working
separately. We can certainly do something better than 511.org.

Let's get together, over dinner or beers, to discuss collaborating and
creating something really kick-ass. I suggest the week after
Thanksgiving, on either Wednesday December 3 or Thursday December 4.
Let's choose SF or the East Bay based on where most people are coming
from.

Email me or reply to the list if interested, and we'll set something
up.

Yours on two wheels,

Matt H
Richmond, CA
mheb...@gmail.com

John Roark

Nov 19, 2009, 2:29:05 PM11/19/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I'd like to participate. I live in SF. We should keep the location
bart accessible.

John

David Asbury

Nov 19, 2009, 6:03:37 PM11/19/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I'm interested. Either day works for me after 5:30, EB is better.

Thanks,

David
> --

David Asbury
GIS Analyst/Cartographer
Center for Ecosystem Management and Restoration
4179 Piedmont Avenue, Suite 325
Oakland, CA 94611
Voice: 510.420.4565 x105
Fax: 510.420.1345
email: asbury at cemar.org
web: cemar.org

Amar Pai

Nov 20, 2009, 12:40:58 AM11/20/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for kicking this off Matt.  I'm in.  Thursday is better for me, but could do Weds. if needed.  Prefer SF.

Once we decide on when & where to meet, I'll add a note on the sf bike planner page...
maybe that will bring in a few more likeminded souls.

Yall saw this right?  http://googlemapsbikethere.org/

More to say on that in person.

-A-
"I don't walk, I get CARRIED" -- ODB (RIP)

Matt H

Nov 20, 2009, 1:04:39 PM11/20/09
to sf-bike-planner
I got this email from Nicholas Block, who couldn't post yet because
he's new to the group. I say we take him up on his offer to have the
meeting at his office... :)

If it ends up in San Francisco, I'll offer to host at our office at
17th and Mission streets. Couches, plenty of space for bikes inside,
a 4x8' whiteboard, new belgium on tap in the kitchen. There's even a
foosball table -- just saying. Evenings and weekends are best since
we are working here 9-5.

Cheers!

Nick
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Headline Shirts
3265 17th Street Suite 104
San Francisco CA 94110
415-626-2957
http://www.headlineshirts.net

nicolas

Nov 19, 2009, 8:07:23 PM11/19/09
to sf-bike-planner
If it ends up in San Francisco, I'll offer to host at our office at
17th and Mission streets. Couches, plenty of space for bikes inside,
a 4x8' whiteboard, new belgium on tap in the kitchen. There's even a
foosball table -- just saying. Evenings and weekends are best since
we are working here 9-5.

Cheers!

Nick

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Headline Shirts
3265 17th Street Suite 104
San Francisco CA 94110
415-626-2957
http://www.headlineshirts.net

> > mheber...@gmail.com

Nicolas Block

Nov 19, 2009, 3:23:53 PM11/19/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
If it ends up in San Francisco, I'll offer to host at our office at
17th and Mission streets. Couches, plenty of space for bikes inside,
a 4x8' whiteboard, new belgium on tap in the kitchen. There's even a
foosball table -- just saying. Evenings and weekends are best since
we are working here 9-5.

Cheers!

Nick

>> pla...@googlegroups.com.

Matthew Heberger

Nov 23, 2009, 2:52:15 PM11/23/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

It looks like Wednesday will work best for most everyone, so let's meet then. I'm really looking forward to it. I've gotten about 5 replies, and it looks like we have a lot of smart, skilled people on board.

What: Discuss Collaboration on the SF Bike Mapper

When: Wednesday, December 2 at 6:30 pm

Where: Office of Headline Shirts
Headline Shirts
3265 17th Street Suite 104
San Francisco CA 94110
415-626-2957
http://www.headlineshirts.net

Contact: Nicolas (ni...@revelindustries.net) or Matt (mheb...@gmail.com)

Peter Robinett

Nov 23, 2009, 6:23:33 PM11/23/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
I'm also interested in helping around and will come on the 2nd.

Peter Robinett

+31 (0)6 45 15 74 73