newbie questions: how do I start working on this?

Elias

Jan 26, 2010, 8:03:15 PM1/26/10
to sf-bike-planner
I became a member of the Google group to be able to work on this
project, and checked out the source code using svn. I have some
programming experience, but I have never worked on an open-source
project.

Let's say, for example, that I want to make a change to the Javascript
code. How would I go about doing that? Can I just commit it using svn?
If I do that, will it become live right away? Will anyone become
angry?

What about testing and making changes to the server-side (Python)
code?

Do you have any sort of QA or test environment to test changes in?

John Roark

Jan 26, 2010, 8:22:19 PM1/26/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Elias,

You won't be able to commit any code unless someone adds you to the
project's list of developers allowed to make changes to the code.
Changing the code in subversion will not affect the live site.

You'll need a google code account set up first. Amar will have to add
you to the list or give me or someone permission to add you. In the
meantime you can submit patches to the list.

I believe all of the server side code can be tested locally.

John

Amar Pai

Jan 27, 2010, 3:29:37 AM1/27/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Elias went ahead and added you as committer.  John you're owner so you can do this too via administer on code.google page.

For sf-bike-planner, to start I recommend running things locally-- I modified find_path.py in trunk to have some constant you can set to make it a command line call.  So for work at that layer no need for web.

For front end stuff, I'm running trunk at amarpai.com/trunk.  So you could check stuff into trunk/htdocs and then it's just matter of ftp'ing latest trunk over.  I can set you (or anybody interested) up w/ ftp account later if there's desire.

If you're running basic pylibs, you could also ftp trunk/htdocs to your own local server and test stuff there.

Please use code.google review mechanism for committing... godspeed

-a-

Godspeed, certainly plenty of stuff to do.
--
"I don't walk, I get CARRIED" -- ODB (RIP)

Amar Pai

Jan 27, 2010, 3:30:08 AM1/27/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
(godspeed, the word so nice i used it twice)

Elias

Jan 27, 2010, 3:01:42 PM1/27/10
to sf-bike-planner
Just to clarify, are you saying you added me as a committer?

I will look for the find_path.py. There is a lot of code and I still
haven't looked through it and familiarized myself with all of it yet.

I am a bit confused about the front-end stuff. If I am trying to make
a change to the trunk, should I FTP it, or commit it using svn? Will
FTPing it make it live? Will committing it make it live? I just want
to know what this stuff does to avoid messing up anything.

What pylibs are you referring to? I googled "pylibs" and didn't see
anything that looked relevant.

I don't have a local server, AFAIK. Do I need to install Apache or a
similar program for this?

I will look into the review mechanism when I get a chance.

> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Elias <mikez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I became a member of the Google group to be able to work on this
> > > project, and checked out the source code using svn. I have some
> > > programming experience, but I have never worked on an open-source
> > > project.
>
> > > Let's say, for example, that I want to make a change to the Javascript
> > > code. How would I go about doing that? Can I just commit it using svn?
> > > If I do that, will it become live right away? Will anyone become
> > > angry?
>
> > > What about testing and making changes to the server-side (Python)
> > > code?
>
> > > Do you have any sort of QA or test environment to test changes in?
>
> > > --

> > sf-bike-plann...@googlegroups.com<sf-bike-planner%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/sf-bike-planner?hl=en.
>
> > --

> > sf-bike-plann...@googlegroups.com<sf-bike-planner%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Amar Pai

Jan 28, 2010, 5:47:01 AM1/28/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify, are you saying you added me as a committer?
yup

I am a bit confused about the front-end stuff. If I am trying to make
a change to the trunk, should I FTP it, or commit it using svn? Will
FTPing it make it live? Will committing it make it live? I just want
to know what this stuff does to avoid messing up anything.

I set up an ftp acct for you, will email you the details.
 Say you're developing some improved UI thing or fixing JS/html bug or whatever.  While you're messing around/iterating you can edit files on server.  Edit, save, reload page in browser, repeat.  (Most FTP clients let you open file in remote folder & edit it as if local.  It downloads tmp copy of remote file on open and uploads it on save.)

Once you've verified your change & are confident it's good, submit it for review.  Finally you'd check it into trunk.

What pylibs are you referring to? I googled "pylibs" and didn't see
anything that looked relevant.

just mean yr server should have python + cgi installed

I don't have a local server, AFAIK. Do I need to install Apache or a
similar program for this?

i use 1and1 webhosting, it's pretty cheap.  basically just an ftp dump & they take care of everything else.   u don't need to i guess, just use ftp+amarpai.com

-a-

Elias

Feb 10, 2010, 2:27:32 AM2/10/10
to sf-bike-planner
Sorry for the late response. I tried the FTP login you gave me and I
could connect to the server, but I could not access the path "/trunk".
I got a response from the server saying "550 /trunk: No such file or
directory".

As a test, I tried making a trivial change to the site (I added a
comment to the file bikemap.html), uploading it via FTP, and reloading
the site, and I didn't see the change. Is this supposed to happen?

> > <sf-bike-planner%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<sf-bike-planner%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <sf-bike-planner%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<sf-bike-planner%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Amar Pai

Feb 11, 2010, 1:57:49 PM2/11/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elias,

Try connecting without specifying path.  It will automatically put you in trunk since the FTP account I set up for you is constrained to that dir.  I tried it just now and it worked w/ no initial path.

I downloaded bikemap.html from that dir, opened it, made a simple comment, uploaded it, refreshed amarpai.com/trunk in my browser and could see the comment.  So it seems to work ok.  Once you uploaded your change, if you downloaded the file again did you see that change?  Also try doing a hard refresh (shift-refresh) cos otherwise you might see old cached version of the file you just changed.

Let me know if it works...

Anybody else interested in working in trunk let me know, FTP accounts available to any and all.

cheers

Amar

Elias

Feb 12, 2010, 1:03:54 AM2/12/10
to sf-bike-planner
I didn't know about http://amarpai.com/trunk/. I was trying to access
http://amarpai.com/bikemap/. I think I understand how it works now.

Elias

Feb 13, 2010, 5:50:59 PM2/13/10
to sf-bike-planner
I made some changes and uploaded them via FTP. My mail goal was just
to get the hang of making and testing changes, but I made some minor
improvements:

* I replaced the getURLParam function with one that is simpler and
that properly handles spaces and escaping.

* I added the mobile CSS class for the body element, like you were
apparently planning to do, according to the comments.

* I removed the "if (status != 'success')" checks from the callback
functions. They are not needed since the functions only run if the
request was successful. I am planning to come up with a more reliable
way to handle errors.

* I used jQuery functions instead of plain Javascript to simplify the
code somewhat.

* I changed the spacing and indenting of some of the files, to make
them more consistent and easier to read. Does anyone mind me doing
this? Are there any sort of style guidelines or rules I should follow?

Other minor stuff.

Most of these things are not visible to the user. They are just there
to simplify the code. Let me know what you think.

Elias

Feb 13, 2010, 5:51:31 PM2/13/10
to sf-bike-planner
One more question. When you say to submit my change for review, how do
I do that?

Amar Pai

Feb 13, 2010, 6:45:16 PM2/13/10
to Elias, sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elias,

Great to hear you've made some improvements. The javascript was
mostly written by me in a hurry. I started using jQuery but as you
can see from the code I was sort of making it up as I went along.
Feel free to reformat in a reasonable way.

Here's a link you can use for review:

http://code.google.com/p/sf-bike-planner/issues/entry?show=review&former=sourcelist

I've never tried it before to be honest. If it doesn't work out you
can always send a diff of the relevant files. Assuming it looks good,
you can check it into trunk. When we've accumulated sufficient
changes to merit a new release we can merge to live and finally ftp to
amarpai.com/bikemap.

cheers

Amar

Elias

Feb 17, 2010, 2:45:44 AM2/17/10
to sf-bike-planner
I clicked on that link, filled out the form to describe my changes,
and attached the files I changed. I am guessing that I did it right.
Is there any way I can know what is going on with the changes, and
when or if they are approved to check into trunk?

On Feb 13, 3:45 pm, Amar Pai <jcrue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Elias,
>
> Great to hear you've made some improvements.  The javascript was
> mostly written by me in a hurry.  I started using jQuery but as you
> can see from the code I was sort of making it up as I went along.
> Feel free to reformat in a reasonable way.
>
> Here's a link you can use for review:
>

> http://code.google.com/p/sf-bike-planner/issues/entry?show=review&for...

Amar Pai

Feb 18, 2010, 4:36:05 AM2/18/10
to Elias, sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elias,

I took a look at the code review.  For some reason it's diffing your changes against branches/live, when it should be diffing against branches/live.  What did you put in the code review request field "Branch Path:" ?  Did you leave it as the default '/branches' ?  Maybe it filled in the first available branch, which is live.

Their stupid code review seems to be set up primarily for the case where you're working in your own branch, like /branches/elias/, with the expectation that upon successful review you'd merge your changes to trunk.  That seems too complicated given that we're the only devs working in this codebase at the moment.    So hopefully we can get it to work without needing additional branches.

Can you try resubmitting the code review request using branch path '/trunk' ?  If that doesn't work, can you try empty branch path?

If all else fails, you can just run "svn diff" in your root svn dir and send that output to this mailing list, and we can review that way.

thanks

Amar

Elias

Feb 18, 2010, 11:31:02 PM2/18/10
to sf-bike-planner
On Feb 18, 1:36 am, Amar Pai <jcrue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Elias,
>
> I took a look at the code review.  For some reason it's diffing your changes
> against branches/live, when it should be diffing against branches/live.

What does that mean???

> What did you put in the code review request field "Branch Path:" ?  Did you
> leave it as the default '/branches' ?  Maybe it filled in the first
> available branch, which is live.

I tried submitting the form with the default, but it wouldn't let me,
so I tried entering "/branches/live". At least that is what I think I
did. I don't remember for sure.

> Their stupid code review seems to be set up primarily for the case where
> you're working in your own branch, like /branches/elias/, with the
> expectation that upon successful review you'd merge your changes to trunk.
> That seems too complicated given that we're the only devs working in this
> codebase at the moment.    So hopefully we can get it to work without
> needing additional branches.
>
> Can you try resubmitting the code review request using branch path '/trunk'
> ?  If that doesn't work, can you try empty branch path?
>
> If all else fails, you can just run "svn diff" in your root svn dir and send
> that output to this mailing list, and we can review that way.
>
> thanks
>
> Amar

I am about to try your suggestions.

Elias

Feb 18, 2010, 11:53:38 PM2/18/10
to sf-bike-planner
I tried submitting with "/trunk" as the branch path, and got an error
saying "Branch path must start with '/branches'". Then I tried "/
branches/trunk" and got an error saying "Specified branch is not a
valid directory.".

Elias

Feb 18, 2010, 11:56:43 PM2/18/10
to sf-bike-planner
I tried to paste the diff here and got an error saying "We were unable
to post your message. If you believe this is an error, please contact
Google Support.". I am going to tell them about it.