Geolocation in Firefox 3.5

Amar Pai

Jul 1, 2009, 5:48:15 AM7/1/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

Mobile apps in the browser will be that much more interesting when this makes its way into Safari etc...

-Amar

--
"I don't walk, I get CARRIED" -- ODB (RIP)

dodger

Jul 1, 2009, 2:31:44 PM7/1/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amar!

I think we dont have to wait for it to be in the browser... it uses Google Location Service which publishes an API... you can insert the code directly into the HTML, or process it server side.

--

+1 415 299 7182

"Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others."
    -Jon Postel

Amar Pai

Jul 2, 2009, 12:55:28 AM7/2/09
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Is it just going off ip location though?  For mobile that may not be very accurate, since requests are often proxied.  OTOH if they're using cell tower triangulation it might suffice.  Ideally though it would go off GPS if the device supports it...

amario

Jul 16, 2009, 4:41:34 PM7/16/09
to sf-bike-planner
iphone 3.0 has geolocation...
site should detect iphone 3.0 and offer 'my location' option in
'to'/'from' fields. not sure how UI should work exactly, but the main
goal is to make it easy for people to get directions from wherever
they're at to some new location. added tracker bug:
http://code.google.com/p/sf-bike-planner/issues/detail?id=21

On Jul 1, 9:55 pm, Amar Pai <jcrue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it just going off ip location though?  For mobile that may not be very
> accurate, since requests are often proxied.  OTOH if they're using cell
> tower triangulation it might suffice.  Ideally though it would go off GPS if
> the device supports it...
>

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM, dodger <dod...@earlstirling.com> wrote:
> > Hi Amar!
>
> > I think we dont have to wait for it to be in the browser... it uses Google
> > Location Service<http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-location-servi...>which publishes an API... you can insert the code directly into the HTML, or
> > process it server side.
>
> > --
>
> > +1 415 299 7182
>
> > "Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from
> > others."
> >     -Jon Postel

Amar Pai

Jul 16, 2009, 4:44:32 PM7/16/09
to sf-bike-planner
To clarify, when I say geolocation I mean 'geolocation via javascript API'... no client app required

Amar Pai

Jul 17, 2009, 8:54:37 PM7/17/09
to sf-bike-planner
The bike planner is now location aware (r48 in live).  As far as UI, for now I'm just prepopulating the 'start' field with user's location, if it's available via navigator.geolocation.  I think only iphone 3.0 and Firefox 3.5 support this at present.

Eventually it would be good to migrate map rendering from Yahoo to Google Maps API.  Only Google supports reverse geocoding, but I was using Yahoo before, so for now I'm just including both.  Probably slowing things down a bit.  Not that latency has ever been a focus.  (Site could be way, way faster if it were using some kind of webserver architecture where the graph persists in memory, geocoded locations were memcached, etc.)

-Amar