Re: [sf-bike-planner:0] Digest for sf-bike-planner@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic

Garlynn Woodsong

Mar 11, 2010, 1:59:17 PM3/11/10
to sf-bike...@googlegroups.com
Well, it seems like Google has just rendered both our effort, and
MTC's effort, unnecessary and obsolete.

That's fine.

All we really wanted was a functional bicycle trip planner. As long as
Google stays on top of the process of constantly updating their
bicycle routes via crowd-sourcing, and if they make a few more
incremental improvements (or publish their API to allow others to do
the same), then I think we're satisfied....

right?

cheers,
~Garlynn

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:50 AM,
<sf-bike-pla...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/sf-bike-planner/topics
>
> Google Bicycle directions [3 Updates]
>
>  Topic: Google Bicycle directions
>
> John Roark <john....@gmail.com> Mar 10 08:47AM -0800 ^
>
> I noticed google rolled out their bicycle directions.
>
> John
>

> Amar Pai <jcru...@gmail.com> Mar 10 08:56AM -0800 ^
>
> Yep :)
>
> Although it will eventually render our homebrewed planners obsolete, I'm
> still psyched to see this finally launch.
>
> Have you guys tried it? What do you think? It needs some work in terms of
> features/design (no slope cutoff? in SF?) but the scale of the problem
> they've tackled is truly remarkable.
>
> -a-
>

> --
> "I don't walk, I get CARRIED" -- ODB (RIP)
>

> Matthew Heberger <mheb...@gmail.com> Mar 10 09:34AM -0800 ^
>
> I saw that this morning too. Agreed, it may obviate our efforts.
>
> I'm impressed. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. It took me
> about a month and 7 tries to find the best route from my old house to
> the community pool. Google found it in about 0.1 seconds.
>
> I can’t find a legend (?), but it looks like dark green is a bike
> route, green is a bike lane, and dotted is a signed bicycle route, at
> least for Oakland.
>
> A few problems are immediately apparent. The walking trails around
> Lake Merritt are not really suited for bikes, nor are they identified
> as bike lanes by the City of Oakland, nor in the East Bay Bicycle
> Coalition’s map. I suspect that many, many users will contribute
> corrections, and with Google’s ability to “release and iterate”, these
> problems will get slowly fixed.
>
> I am not sure about the future of our efforts. There was a burst of
> initial enthusiasm, and then a long period of inactivity. John's been
> busy coding, it seems, but for everyone else, people want to
> contribute, but don't really know how. Thoughts?
>
> -Matt
>

> --

O ...let's go do
O something