The Power Outlet - July 2021

Grace Reamer

Jul 26, 2021, 2:54:04 PMJul 26
to seva...@googlegroups.com

THE POWER OUTLET.JPG
JULY 2021 NEWSLETTER of DRIVE ELECTRIC WASHINGTON
DEWA Logo hi rez.jpg
A monthly update about electric vehicle activities around the State of Washington
Drive Electric Washington is a collaboration of groups throughout the State of Washington working together to accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles. The all-volunteer non-profit was founded by electric vehicle advocates in 2017 and now is focusing on outreach to volunteer electric transportation advocates across the state to coordinate and share efforts among groups. We would like to invite you to join this effort and keep informed by contributing to and sharing this free monthly newsletter.

Learn more about Drive Electric Washington at DriveElectricWA.org.
DEWA has a Facebook page, too! Please like and follow us for up-to-the-minute updates.
IN THIS ISSUE:
  • News - King County adds EV charging requirement for development. Coltura's report on gasoline "Superusers." Forth's annual Roadmap Conference summary.
  • Club News - Seattle Electric Vehicle Association
  • Education - Coltura launches children's book about EVs
  • Events - Green Transportation Summit and Expo Aug. 16-18. National Drive Electric Week events in Woodinville, Mill Creek, Steilacoom and Liberty Lake;
  • Spotlight Story - Matt Simerson shares his long-distance Tesla charging routes.
  • Policy Updates - Clean Cars 2030 rally on Aug. 14. Soliciting your thoughts about the Road Usage Charge.
  • Resources and links to Washington EV clubs, associations, charging networks and everything you need for the best electric driving experience and for the future of sustainable transportation.

 NEWS
New EV charging requirement - In July, the King County Council followed Seattle's lead and approved legislation adding requirements for much of new development in unincorporated King County to include charging stations and dedicated parking for electric vehicles. Read more.

Focus EV incentives on gasoline "Superusers" - Coltura, the Seattle-based non-profit advocacy organization, issued a report in July based on its research about gasoline "Superusers." The report suggests that meeting President Biden’s target of cutting carbon emissions in half by 2030 will require the U.S. to redefine its approach to incentivizing the switch from gas-powered vehicles to EVs. Instead of applying the same incentive to all drivers regardless of how much gasoline they use, Coltura's research suggests EV incentives should be calculated based on the amount of gasoline displaced by the purchase of an EV. Read more.

Forth Roadmap Conference Summary - Rapid industry growth was a key theme of the 2021 Roadmap Conference in June, hosted by Forth of Portland. The virtual conference was opened by U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Michael Regan. More than 800 advocates from around the world participated. If you missed the annual conference, you can catch up on highlights here.

 CLUB NEWS

Seattle Electric Vehicle Association - SEVA resumed in-person meetings in July and hosted a special presentation from Seattle City Light about its Transportation Electrification Strategic Investment Plan, including installation of public DC fast charging stations around the city. The club meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Church of the Nazarene in the Wallingford neighborhood. All are welcome! Read more.

Please consider sharing your club news as well as your personal journey into the world of electric driving, along with photos. DEWA would like to spotlight profiles of EV pioneers on our website and social media, as well as sharing in our newsletter. Please send your stories and photos to gre...@driveelectricwa.org.

 EDUCATION

sparky cover.png

Coltura's children's book is #1! What can two children and a hamster do about climate change and air pollution? Find out in Coltura's new book, Sparky’s Electrifying Tale. Now available for pre-order, this powerful children's book about electric transportation was authored by Coltura’s co-executive directors, Matthew Metz and Janelle London, to help families have important conversations about fighting climate change and making a difference. Launched in July, the book already is listed under Amazon's "Hot New Releases" as #1 in Children’s Environmental books AND Recycling and Green Living. Pre-order your copy here.

 EVENTS

GTSE-logo-RGB.webp

Green Transportation Summit and Expo, Aug. 16-18, Tacoma. - The 10th annual Green Transportation Summit & Expo (GTSE) is the region's premier clean transportation convening event. With this year's theme of Reflecting + Refocusing on a Resilient Future, the event is giving particular attention to recent events affecting our communities and livelihood. The GTSE focuses on the clean fleet at the intersection of policy, technology, practice, equity, and the future of mobility with a regional focus and national lens. Details and registration at gtsummitexpo.com. Member organizations of DEWA can get a 30-percent discount on registration using this link.

ndew-logo-green.png

Steilacoom - National Drive Electric Week exhibit, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11. Read more and register.

National Drive Electric Week, Sept. 25-Oct. 3, 2021 - Register to organize an NDEW 2021 event. Read more at DriveElectricWeek.org.

Liberty Lake - National Drive Electric Week exhibit - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24. Read more and register

Everett/Mill Creek - National Drive Electric Week event - time and date TBA. Get updates and register.

Woodinville - National Drive Electric Week event - time and date TBA. Get updates and register.

 SPOTLIGHT STORY

Seattle driver shares his long-distance Tesla charging routes

By Matt Simerson

Back in 2014, during the dark ages of EV road tripping, when the experience was likely going to suck (not entirely unlike today if you road trip in a BEV made by a company name that doesn't rhyme with Mesla), some of the Tesla owners over at teslamotorsclub.com started a fun little game called Superchargers Visited. The idea was simple: keep track of your unique Supercharger visits and compare to see who has the most. Over time, they added automation to the tracking and now the top competitors have a nice tool to track which Superchargers we have or haven't visited.

I stumbled upon the game in 2019 while waiting for my Model 3 to arrive. I looked at the leaderboard and estimated that with a little bit of planning and a bit of record keeping, I could be seriously competitive. (aside: I'm not at all competitive. Not. At. All.) A few years later and I'm at position #22 (matt_net_zero) with 412 unique superchargers visited. But wait, there's more!

Having visited all the Superchargers on most major freeways, on this year's road trip I had to travel through and visit places further off the beaten paths. Doing so has made road tripping even more fun as I'm once again experiencing the joy of discovery. Sometimes the discoveries are, "huh, this route through Kansas is every bit as interesting as every other route through Kansas," but sometimes, like driving through northern Wisconsin and Indiana away from the expressways, we stumbled through some lovely little towns and cities that were well kept and seem to have avoided the fate of so many rustbelt towns.

Here are some details about three trips:

In the summer of 2019, myself and three youth loaded up the Model 3 with a mattress, one backpack each, and spent seven weeks circumnavigating the lower 48.  My kids chose 2 activities/adventures/sites in each state that we visited, so there was always something we had just finished doing or were on our way to doing. We also had plenty of firsts along the way, such as unsolicited offers of assistance from friendly Tesla Mobile Rangers.

circumnavigate.jpeg

The following year in March of 2020, I had a business trip to attend in Tampa so instead of flying, I worked my way down a list of potential second drivers until I found someone who was excited to drive with me to Florida and tour the state for a few days. Because of the Superchargers Visited game, we took completely different routes on the way there and back as well as a few scenic detours.

florida trip.jpeg

That 2020 trip was memorable for another reason. On the previous go-round of the country, we met a lot of friendly Tesla owners at Superchargers and had lots of interesting conversations with passers-by. On the 2020 trip, the COVID-19 outbreak in Lynnwood was national news while we were on our way. So we'd be standing outside the car at a Supercharger and start a conversation, which often included, "Where are you from?" As soon as we said Seattle, the news junkies recoiled and gave us plenty of social distance.

This summer of 2021 we went back to Michigan to visit my dad for his 75th birthday. So of course we had to choose routes that didn't overlap with previous ones. Fortunately, that left lots and lots of ground to cover and we spent a lot more of this trip on lesser highways and less time on the interstates. That made for a nicer trip experience.

michigan trip.png

As you can see, the quantity of Superchargers visited on this last trip was much fewer than previous. That's because I've already exhausted all the routes coming to and from Seattle to anywhere. My Supercharger page shows the gory details.

So, if you're into road tripping, you have a Tesla, and you're looking for a little incentive to get out there and tear up some asphalt, I can highly recommend the silly little game I've been playing.

 POLICY UPDATES

Clean Cars 2030
Non-profit advocacy organization Coltura continues to lead the charge to implement Clean Cars 2030, the goal of transitioning to electric transportation in Washington State. Coltura is urging Gov Inslee to support the 2030 clean cars target and honor the desire of the Legislature by issuing an executive order setting forth the target and directing Washington State government to prepare to implement it. To draw attention to the issue and show public support for the policy, Coltura is hosting a public rally on Saturday, Aug. 14 (new date). A parade of electric vehicles will wind around Seattle's Capitol Hill at 11 a.m., ending up at the rally at noon at St. Mark's Cathedral. The event will feature guest speakers, food, music, and an EV exhibit. EV drivers and supporters are invited to participate. Learn more and sign up here.
Road Usage Charge - For several years, the State of Washington has been considering how to pay for road construction and maintenance as gas tax revenues decline with better fuel efficiency and drivers switch to EVs. The top option is a road usage charge that replaces the gas tax with a per-mile fee for vehicle miles traveled. It also would replace the $150 flat fee that electric vehicles pay annually on registration. The goal is to make funding of roads more dependable and equitable. Before it can be implemented, however, many concerns need to be resolved. How are the miles measured without invading driver privacy? How are miles in-state and out-of-state calculated? Should the fee be adjusted based on vehicle weight and the amount of wear it causes to roads? Because electric vehicles provide many environmental benefits in Washington, should that be weighed in the fee calculation? The DEWA Board is interested in hearing your thoughts and collecting your ideas in preparation for the RUC bill in the next legislative session. Read the most recent version of the legislation, Senate Bill 5444. Please send your comments and ideas to gre...@driveelectricwa.org

 DONATE

Please support DEWA and its activities with a donation. DEWA has very few expenses, but web hosting and e-mail services do require a small budget. Although the organization is not set up to take cash donations yet, you can support the work of Drive Electric Washington with an in-kind donation or with your purchases through Amazon Smile. Just go to smile.amazon.com, log into your Amazon account and choose Drive Electric Washington as your charity. When you order online, 0.5 percent of the purchase price will go to Drive Electric Washington! And all of your donations are tax deductible. DEWA is a non-profit organization under 501(c)3.

 RESOURCES

DEWA aims to maintain a comprehensive list of the EV advocacy efforts ongoing in Washington, so we count on you to keep our lists and our website updated with the most current information. Following are the organizations and efforts we have compiled so far in Washington that have a presence online and on social media:

Websites:

·         Seattle Electric Vehicle Association -  SeattleEVA.org
·         Plug-In America - PlugInAmerica.org
·         Electric Auto Association - ElectricAuto.org
·         Forth - ForthMobility.org
·         Plugshare - Plugshare.com
·         National Drive Electric Week - DriveElectricWeek.org
·         Drive Electric Earth Day - DriveElectricEarthDay.org
·        Plug In North Central Washington - PlugInNCW.com
·         Coltura – Coltura.org
·         Thurston Climate Action Team - ThurstonClimateAction.org

Social Media:

·         Northwest Tesla Owners
·         Seattle Nissan Leaf Owners
·         Seattle Tesla Model 3 Owners
·         Seattle Tesla Model Y Owners
·         Inland NW Tesla Owners Group
·         PNW Tesla

Please share and distribute this newsletter widely within your EV networks and contacts. And please contribute your events, activities and stories, and SIGN UP to receive this free monthly newsletter by sending us an e-mail with your name, city, any affiliation and e-mail address to gre...@driveelectricwa.org. You can unsubscribe at any time with an e-mail to the same address. Thank you for your support of sustainable electric transportation!

Grace Reamer

Aug 26, 2021, 1:06:28 AMAug 26
to seva...@googlegroups.com

THE POWER OUTLET.JPG
AUGUST 2021 NEWSLETTER of DRIVE ELECTRIC WASHINGTON
DEWA Logo hi rez.jpg
A monthly update about electric vehicle activities around the State of Washington
Drive Electric Washington is a collaboration of groups throughout the State of Washington working together to accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles. The all-volunteer non-profit was founded by electric vehicle advocates in 2017 and now is focusing on outreach to volunteer electric transportation advocates across the state to coordinate and share efforts among groups. We would like to invite you to join this effort and keep informed by contributing to and sharing this free monthly newsletter.

DEWA has a Facebook page, too! Please like and follow us for up-to-the-minute updates.
IN THIS ISSUE:
  • News - Clean Fuels Program rulemaking, EVSE Accessibility rulemaking
  • Board update - Announcing our new Board member and new Advisory Board member
  • Club News - room to add your club news here
  • Education - Sparky's Electrifying Tale
  • Events - Clean Cars 2030 Rally summary; Tesla Charger Chat; National Drive Electric Week events in Woodinville, Mill Creek, Steilacoom and Liberty Lake;
  • Policy Updates - Road Usage Charge details
  • Resources and links to Washington EV clubs, associations, charging networks and everything you need for the best electric driving experience and for the future of sustainable transportation.

     NEWS
    Clean Fuels Program Rulemaking - The Washington State Department of Ecology is beginning rulemaking to implement the Transportation Fuel – Clean Fuels Program, which was enacted during the 2021 session of the Washington State Legislature as House Bill 1091. This rulemaking will:
    ·        Add a new Chapter 173-424 WAC – Clean Fuels Program Rule.
    ·        Amend Chapter 173-455 WAC – Air Quality Fee Rule.
    The new rule may:
    • Establish carbon intensity standards for transportation fuels used in Washington.
    • Assign compliance obligations to fuels with carbon intensities that exceed the standard.
    • Establish compliance methods including assigning credits to fuels that have carbon intensities below the standard.
    This rulemaking also will consider amendments to Chapter 173-455 WAC to establish the process for setting fees to recover the cost of developing and implementing the program. Transportation is the largest source of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in Washington, contributing about 45 percent of statewide total GHG emissions. Washington enacted the Clean Fuels Program to reduce emissions of GHGs and conventional air pollutants from transportation and to spur economic development through deployment of clean fuel technology. As a result, Washington joins California, Oregon, and British Columbia, which already have similar clean (low-carbon) fuel programs.

    The law directs Ecology to adopt rules to start the program by Jan. 1, 2023  that reduce the carbon intensity of transportation fuels used in Washington by 20 percent below the 2017 levels by 2038. Carbon intensity accounts for GHG emissions throughout the full life cycle of the fuel (i.e., GHG emissions from feedstock production and transport, fuel production and transport, and use of the fuel) per unit energy of the fuel. These rules will affect stakeholders throughout the supply chain of transportation fuels and use including:
    • Transportation fuel suppliers, including petroleum refineries and parties represented by the Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA)
    • Electric Utilities
    • Producers of low carbon transportation fuels (biodiesel, bioethanol, renewable hydrogen, etc.) and feedstock
    • Alternative fuel vehicle manufacturers, electric vehicle manufacturers
    • Businesses that depend heavily on transportation, truckers, and their associations
    • Cities, counties and legislature
    • Public interest groups, advocates of environmental and social justice, climate action.
    • Transport organizations such as public transit agencies and for-hire vehicle operators
    • Public-at-large as consumers of transportation fuels
    Learn more:

    EVSE Accessibility Rulemaking The Washington State Deptartment of Agriculture initiated rulemaking to amend chapter 16-662 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), Weights & Measures – National Handbooks, Sale of Motor Fuel. The Department is considering amendments outlined in Second Substitute Senate Bill 5192 regarding electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). The amendments include:
    • Requiring all electric vehicle service providers make available multiple payment methods at all publicly available level 2 EVSE or direct current (DC) fast charger EVSE installed in Washington.
    • Establishing requirements for all electric vehicle service providers to, at a minimum, meet and maintain nonproprietary interoperability standards for publicly available level 2 EVSE and DC fast charger EVSE.
    • Establishing reasonable registration fees, in addition to the registration fees charged for each EVSE charging port to cover the remaining costs associated with enforcing EVSE accessibility rules .
    • Considering establishing a differential fee to reduce the potential burden of the registration fee for electric vehicle service providers operating fewer than 25 publicly available EVSE in Washington.
    The rulemaking documents are available here

    The department is planning multiple stakeholder meetings throughout the development of this rule to discuss the different aspects of the required amendments and is actively encouraging all members of the electric vehicle industry, including members of the public who utilize electric vehicle charging stations, to participate in those meetings. Online meetings (you can call in, too) are scheduled for Sept. 8, Sept. 22 and Sept. 29. For more information and to participate, you can contact Tim Elliott at the Ag Department:  tell...@agr.wa.gov or (360) 902-1984.

     BOARD UPDATE

    Drive Electric Washington would like to welcome Andrea Tousignant to our Board of Directors and Jon Jantz to our Advisory Board.

    Andrea Tousignant represents Ions for EVs, a consulting firm whose mission is to provide multi-level solutions in response to a need to develop an accessible and equitable EV charging infrastructure. Andrea also provides consulting work for state agencies, and her combination of experience with non-profit management, organization, development, board political advocacy and parks and open space allows her to offer expertise in communication and collaboration as part of public outreach campaigns, increasing the DEWA diversity and influence in the state. She also has served on the DEWA Advisory Board.

    Jon Jantz, representing Collaborative Efficiencies, has been involved with the EV realm since 2015. Jon has provided his expertise as a consultant to agencies such as Forth Mobility, and has expertise in low-carbon fuel standard legislation, demand response, leveraging public and private funding, utility electrification strategy, and ride and drive organization. He is a life-long Washingtonian and has a deep understanding of our corridors and the varied and unique needs of the diverse State of Washington.

    We are excited to have both Andrea and Jon on board!

    We will be sending queries to the Advisory Board for available dates for our next meeting. Please continue to watch your inboxes and respond with your availability. We are aiming for meeting next in late September/early October.

     CLUB NEWS

    Please consider sharing your club news as well as your personal journey into the world of electric driving, along with photos. DEWA would like to spotlight profiles of EV pioneers on our website and social media, as well as sharing in our newsletter. Please send your stories and photos to gre...@driveelectricwa.org.

     EDUCATION

    sparky cover.png

    Sparky's Electrifying Tale launches - Coltura's new children's book about electric transportation officially releases on Aug. 31, 2021. Join Tina and Rory as they follow gasoline's trail from the age of the dinosaurs to the modern era and beyond. Just when Rory has had it with gasoline, their new pet hamster Sparky magically finds a solution. Sparky’s Electrifying Tale offers children and families a fun and engaging way to join the movement, and provides an easy-to-understand entry point to discussing carbon emissions and the importance of cutting gasoline use. The book is available now for pre-order.

     EVENTS

    Clean Cars 2030 Rally

    clean cars 2030 rally 8-14-21.jpg

    nicole macri 8-14-21.jpg

    About 100 climate activists joined Coltura, Seattle Electric Vehicle Association, Climate Action Families and Earth Ministry for a rally on Aug. 14 in Seattle calling on Gov. Inslee to establish a 2030 new vehicle electrification goal for Washington state by Executive Order. With music, food, speakers, and an EV car parade, the event was a celebration of the year's successes and highlighted Coltura's commitment to move toward a gasoline-free future as fast as possible. More than 30 electric vehicles participated in a parade around Capitol Hill  before several speakers shared some inspiring words, including State Rep. Nicole Macri, prime sponsor of the Clean Cars 2030 legislation. Check out more photos and video of the event here. Photos by Bill Trueit.

    tesla owners washington.png

    Tesla Charger Chat - The Tesla Owners Club of Washington hosts a Charger Chat for new and experienced owners as well as potential owners from noon to 2 p.m. Sept. 4 at the Monroe Supercharger. Learn more about the club at teslaownerswa.org.

    ndew-highrez-2020.png

    Sign up today to share your EV expertise at a Drive Electric Week event!

    Woodinville - National Drive Electric Week event - 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 29, Woodinville Sports Club. Get updates and register.

    Steilacoom - National Drive Electric Week exhibit, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, downtown Steilacoom. Read more and register.

    National Drive Electric Week, Sept. 25-Oct. 3, 2021 - Register to organize an NDEW 2021 event. If you don't have an event scheduled yet in your community, it is not too late to organize one! Read more at DriveElectricWeek.org.

    Liberty Lake - National Drive Electric Week exhibit - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 25, Liberty Lake park and ride. Read more and register

    Everett/Mill Creek - National Drive Electric Week event - Sunday, Sept. 26, Advent Lutheran Church, Mill Creek. Get updates and register.

     POLICY UPDATES

    Road Usage Charge - Reema Griffith, Executive Director of the Washington State Transportation Commission, recently gave a presentation about the proposed Road Usage Charge (RUC) for members of the Seattle Electric Vehicle Association. The RUC is under consideration as a replacement for taxing gasoline, which is no longer a reliable, equitable source of funding. Gas tax revenues are declining with average vehicle fuel efficiency and as drivers switch to EVs.  Here are some details from her presentation.
    • Washington and six other states have RUC assessment pilots. Oregon, Utah and Virginia are enabling drivers to opt-in to pay by the mile.
    • The mandate of the Washington Legislature in 2012 was to assess RUC suitability as a sustainable, long-term revenue source that could replace the current gas tax. Requirements were that during a transition period from the gas tax to the RUC, drivers would pay one or the other tax, but not both. The per-mile rate for this assessment would be set at the gas tax rate of 49.4 cents per gallon, divided by the state average efficiency of 20 miles per gallon, making a rate of 2.4 cents per mile.
    • WSTC conducted a year-long statewide test involving 2,000 test-drivers. Cross-border testing was conducted with pools of drivers from Idaho, Oregon, and the city of Surrey, BC, observing how payment processing and reconciliation could occur cross-border. Oregon involved the nation's first cash-transaction test, where cash was actually reconciled between state treasuries. The idea there was to show that cross-border reconciliation could be accomplished when there might be a patchwork of states using RUC, but no national policy.
    • Five reporting methods were used. Two were intentionally low-tech and did not involve GPS, because WSTC wanted to demonstrate that RUC could be accomplished without GPS. One of these was a pre-purchase of a mileage permit; drivers pre-selected a block of miles — 1,000, 5,000 or 10,000 — and would report their odometer either electronically or in person every three months, purchasing additional miles as needed to keep the permit valid. Only 1 percent of the testers chose this. Twenty-eight percent chose the odometer-reading option; the driver post-pays for miles reported quarterly, and reporting is either electronic (by photographing the odometer and uploading the photo) or in person, by appearing at a DOL office for an employee to record the odometer.
    • Test drivers' support for RUC increased by the end of the pilot. Sixty-eight percent preferred RUC (or preferred it equally) to the gas tax. Twenty-eight percent wanted immediate implementation of RUC; 33 percent wanted RUC to be phased in; and 9 percent wanted RUC only for EVs.
    • Until a national system is in place, the gas tax will continue to capture revenue from out-of-state drivers. Out-of-state drivers account for 5-8 percent of total VMT in Washington. Taxing public EVSEs could capture revenue from out-of-state EVs.
    • Substitute Senate Bill 5444 reached Second Reading this year, but it did not ultimately come to a final vote before the end of the 2021 session. It would have implemented many of the Commission's recommendations. SSB 5444 provided that by July 1, 2025, EVs and plug-in hybrids could opt in to RUC in order to avoid the $225 flat fee. One year later, the flat fee of $225 would be repealed and replaced with RUC at an introductory rate of 2 cents per mile for EVs only. Revenues generated from RUC are to be deposited into the motor vehicle fund to pay for roadway preservation and maintenance. SSB 5444 provided language to protect privacy and driver data, exempting RUC data from public disclosure. The bill is likely to be reintroduced in 2022.
    Read the most recent version of the legislation, Senate Bill 5444

    Paul Kahle

    Aug 26, 2021, 3:11:56 PMAug 26
    to SEVA...@googlegroups.com
    My understanding is that the rules have not yet been written to implement the adoption of the ZEV mandate that we passed in March or 2020 and that was supposed to take effect in June of 2020.  Do you have any update on those?

    Paul K

    --
    Learn about EVs and EVents at: https://www.seattleeva.org
    ---

    act...@gmail.com

    Aug 26, 2021, 3:35:16 PMAug 26
    to SEVA...@googlegroups.com
    Department of Ecology rule-making has just begun and will be very active soon you can be added to the list here, I think.

    Paul Kahle

    Aug 26, 2021, 3:49:09 PMAug 26
    to SEVA...@googlegroups.com
    Wow, so we won't actually see the ZEV implemented in this state until late 2024?  But somehow, new taxes get implemented within months of their passing.  That car dealership lobby sure swings a big stick in this state!

    PK

    Grace Reamer

    Sep 24, 2021, 1:33:40 AMSep 24
    to seva...@googlegroups.com

    THE POWER OUTLET.JPG
    SEPTEMBER 2021 NEWSLETTER of DRIVE ELECTRIC WASHINGTON
    DEWA Logo hi rez.jpg
    A monthly update about electric vehicle activities around the State of Washington
    Drive Electric Washington is a collaboration of groups throughout the State of Washington working together to accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles. The all-volunteer non-profit was founded by electric vehicle advocates in 2017 and now is focusing on outreach to volunteer electric transportation advocates across the state to coordinate and share efforts among groups. We would like to invite you to join this effort and keep informed by contributing to and sharing this free monthly newsletter.

    DEWA has a Facebook page, too! Please like and follow us for up-to-the-minute updates.
    IN THIS ISSUE:
    Celebrate NATIONAL DRIVE ELECTRIC WEEK! Sept. 25-Oct. 3.
    • Board updates - Advisory Council meeting, new bank
    • Events - National Drive Electric Week events in Mill Creek, Bellingham and Richland; online events in Tacoma and Port Angeles
    • News - Washington is the best state for EVs
    • Policy Updates - Participate in our Public Policy Poll
    • Club News - SEVA meetings, and please share your group's activities
    • Resources and links to Washington EV clubs, associations, charging networks and everything you need for the best electric driving experience and for the future of sustainable transportation.

       BOARD UPDATE

      Advisory Council - DEWA's 20-member Advisory Council, representing EV interest groups and organizations around the State of Washington, will have its first meeting of 2021 on Friday, Oct. 22. The meeting will be an online virtual gathering beginning at 1 p.m. Although the Advisory Council contains a wealth of expertise and knowledge about EVs and energy, DEWA depends on its members and readers to drive the direction of the organization. Please send your ideas and suggestions for the Advisory Council agenda to pres...@driveelectricwa.org

      Express FCU Logo

      New Bank! - DEWA has recently moved its very modest bank account to Seattle's Express Credit Union, which is a not-for-profit community development financial institution. CDFIs are private financial institutions that are dedicated to delivering responsible, affordable lending to help low-income, low-wealth, and other disadvantaged people and communities join the economic mainstream. This financial institution specializes in financing EV purchases, and provides plenty of advice. They even offer lower interest rates for EV loans. If you know anyone who is thinking about an EV purchase, you can get more information here.

       EVENTS

      ndew-highrez-2020.png

      National Drive Electric Week, Sept. 25-Oct. 3, 2021 Sign up today to share your EV expertise at a Drive Electric Week event!

      mill creek.jpg

      Mill Creek - National Drive Electric Week event - Sunday, Sept. 26, 1 -4 p.m.. Advent Lutheran Church, 4306 132nd St. SEMill Creek. Get updates and register.

      NEW! Bellingham - National Drive Electric Week Car Show - Sunday, Sept. 26, 2-4 p.m., Commercial Street between Holly and Magnolia, downtown Bellingham. Get updates and register.

      NEW! Richland - National Drive Electric Week event - Sponsored by Energy Northwest, EVITA and the Mid-Columbia EV Association, Friday, Oct. 1, 1-3 p.m., The Reach Museum, 1943 Columbia Park Trail, Richland. Get updates and register.

      Also during NDEW, you can participate in these special online events:

      Tacoma EV101 Workshop - Electric Vehicles: Ever Better! - Wednesday, Sept. 29, 4-5 p.m. Covering topics such as cost of ownership, home charging and local public charging. Register and complete a short survey for a chance to win a $250 VISA gift card.

      Port Angeles - As Seen on EV Sean Farrar, Port Angeles community member, recently completed a short-range EV road trip from Detroit, MI to Port Angeles, WA in a 2018 BMW i3. Learn how he planned his route and what his EV road trip experience was like. Register and complete a short survey for a chance to win a $250 VISA gift card.

       NEWS
      Washington is best state for electric vehicles! A new study by Bumper.com has rated Washington as the Number One state in the country for electric vehicles. The study ranks states looking at 10 metrics — five related to infrastructure, such as availability and growth of EV charging stations, and five related to financial considerations, including the cost to purchase and power EV cars and the average travel time to work. The research also found that Washington is number three in the nation for percentage of cars that are electric at 0.68 percent, with the total number at 50,520 as of Dec. 31, 2020. Read more.
      And if you think you are seeing more EVs on the road recently, you are right. This year has been big for EVs in Washington State. More recent statistics from the state Department of Licensing show that, as of Aug. 31, 2021, EV registrations totaled 59,859 for battery-electric vehicles, and 21,581 for plug-in hybrid vehicles. That's a total of 81,440 cars in Washington that use a plug!
       POLICY UPDATES

      Participate in our Public Policy Poll - As the 2022 session of the Washington State Legislature approaches in January, DEWA is focusing on sharing details of proposed legislation affecting EVs. And DEWA also aims to share the concerns and priorities of EV owners and enthusiasts across the state with our lawmakers. Policy decisions in the next few months will set the stage for EV adoption well into the future. How can we make the biggest difference in Olympia? One way is to focus our efforts on the two or three most urgent issues, and we need you to help determine our direction. Please take this very brief survey that will ask you to rate your priorities on several EV issues:
      • Replace $225 EV registration fee with per-mile Road Usage Charge
      • Increase sales tax exemption for EVs
      • Reduce electric motorcycle registration fee
      • Set goal to end the sale of gasoline cars by 2030
      • Sales tax exemption for electric bicycles
      • Allow direct vehicle sales by manufacturers that make only electric vehicles.
      • EV purchase rebates for gasoline superusers
      The survey takes only a couple of minutes. Please register your priorities here!

       CLUB NEWS

      SEVA logo color.jpg

      Seattle Electric Vehicle Association - SEVA has resumed in-person, masked monthly meetings. The 41-year-old club meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Church of the Nazarene, 4401 2nd Ave. NE, in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood, right behind Dick's Drive-In. Car show in the parking lot at is at 6:30 p.m., followed by the meeting indoors at 7 p.m. All are invited to attend and share. Next meeting is on Tuesday, Oct. 12.
      Some things you may find at SEVA meetings:
      • Featured car of the month
      • Guest speakers on EV topics
      • Policy updates
      • Event announcements and planning