Copy/paste across Chrome profiles?

socketbox

Jul 1, 2024, 10:01:12 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to Session Buddy Discussion
First, let me express my gratitude for the 4.0 release; the roadmap ahead seems very promising.

I have multiple Chrome profiles that I use simultaneously (a set of windows in a work profile, a set of windows in a personal profile, etc). Sometimes, I create a window or a set of tabs in a profile, but then want to move them to a different profile later.

Copy/paste would seem ideal for this, but it doesn't work. Is there a way that I can request this feature (ie. cross-profile copy/paste)?

Best regards,
Casey

Session Buddy Support

Jul 2, 2024, 9:58:20 AM (yesterday) Jul 2
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your message!

Cross-profile copy/paste is already possible, but SB needs access to the system clipboard to copy/paste across profiles. I'm pasting a recent post I made about this below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Session Buddy (since v4) allows copy/paste of tabs and bookmarks (either open tabs in the current session or links in a saved collection). This works to copy tabs/bookmarks across collections within a Session Buddy instance but also across profiles/browsers if you opt into the required clipboard permission.

To enable copy/paste to work across profiles/browsers, the Session Buddy extension on both profiles/browsers must be given clipboard access. To do this:

  1. Right-click the Session Buddy icon, then click "View web permissions"

  2. Scroll down to "Clipboard" and set it to "Allow"

Do this on every profile/browser that you want to share tabs across via copy/paste. When you do this, Session Buddy will use the system clipboard instead of its own (app-specific) clipboard.

To copy/paste tabs or bookmarks:

  1. Select the tabs or bookmarks you want to copy. Use ctrl (or cmd) + click to select multiples.

  2. Hit ctrl (or cmd) + c or right-click and click Copy

  3. Select the target session or collection

  4. Hit ctrl (or cmd) + v to paste. To paste into a specific position, right-click a folder or bookmark and click Paste.

So... if you want to open in browser 2 some tabs that you have open (or stored in a collection) in browser 1, open Session Buddy in browser 1, select and copy the tabs, then flip over to browser 2, open Session Buddy, and paste directly into the current session (aka "This browser").