Slow Down Tab Creation?

Ken Mandelberg

Jun 11, 2024, 2:15:40 PM (9 days ago) Jun 11
to Session Buddy Discussion
I have a bunch of windows with many tabs in each. If I do a restore and then try to open all the windows at once Google will certainly crash

Opening one window at time is still problematic for the ones with a large number of tabs.

I really wish Chrome could delay loading new tabs until they are  referenced, but thats not an option. Its not a problem when Chrome is shut down correctly, and then restarted, but thats not the case with Buddy adding tabs on Open.

What I really need is for Buddy to throttle down the speed that Open adds tabs to a window.

Any suggestions other than use fewer tabs?

Session Buddy Support

Jun 11, 2024, 2:35:53 PM (9 days ago) Jun 11
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Try turning on "Enable optimizations" under Settings > Tabs and let me know if that helps.

Hans

Ken Mandelberg

Jun 11, 2024, 3:20:02 PM (9 days ago) Jun 11
to Session Buddy Discussion
I always have Optimizations on. It saves memory on existing tabs that haven't been referenced lately. It does nothing for new tabs. They get loaded when they are created.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 11, 2024, 5:39:45 PM (9 days ago) Jun 11
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Session Buddy's optimization setting is specifically designed to optimize tab opening.

It delays and suspends tabs after a certain threshold (currently 60 tabs, but this number can be tweaked).

Hans

Ken Mandelberg

Jun 12, 2024, 11:06:45 AM (8 days ago) Jun 12
to Session Buddy Discussion
Yes, my misunderstanding, I saw optimization and thought about the Chrome setting. The good news is that after turning on Tab optimization in Buddy, it worked great! I have a dozen windows and 5000 tabs and it handled all of them without crashing Chrome or freezing the OS. Previously I had to split windows to make them smaller and do one at a time.

I do have a few requests that would really help a lot dealing with so many tabs.

      Save and Restore Window Titles
      Save and Restore Tab Groups
     In Buddy's list of Windows and their tabs, distinguish the label "Window" with something more unique so that the Browsers "Find" can skip down the list. The word "Window" catches many tab titles.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 12, 2024, 12:47:07 PM (8 days ago) Jun 12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! Glad that worked out for you.

> Save and Restore Window Titles

We'd like to do something related to naming windows, but the details of that are still being hashed out. One complicating factor is that the browser API currently doesn't allow access to names users assign to windows through Chrome's window naming feature.

> Save and Restore Tab Groups

We're currently working on this.

Hans

Ken Mandelberg

Jun 13, 2024, 11:24:04 AM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to Session Buddy Discussion
I think my third request, just putting a different label other  than "Window" above each group of tabs would be the easiest to implement. Maybe "Window Tabs" or really anything unique enough to make the Chrome Find usable, and not catch Tab titles.

destr...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2024, 2:04:01 PM (6 days ago) Jun 14
to Session Buddy Discussion
New version doesn't open tabs no matter if optimizations are on or not... I have 317 tabs, it opens however many it desires, around 250-290. Even if I try a single window it fails. It seems to delete some tabs before even reaching mentioned 60. Why isn't the number 60 a setting?

destr...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2024, 2:21:11 PM (6 days ago) Jun 14
to Session Buddy Discussion
I had to redownload Open multiple URLs extension and paste copied URLs there. It opened them all at once, yet it didn't fail and close some for no reason.

Why do people release stuff in such state these days... What was the rush of getting 4.0 released? I don't think 90+% of people would mind if it was still in proper development for a year. Better than recruiting us as QA for such an important time-saving addition.