All of my collections are just gone?

Jeff -family of- Stapleton

Jun 13, 2024, 1:49:25 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to Session Buddy Discussion
I've been using Session Buddy since 2015 and I would once every couple of years manually back up all of the data and re-install Windows, and then re-import all of the Session Buddy data.

I've been concerned about the 500 event limit and looked again over the various Session Buddy settings and set all of the Session Buddy settings again when I updated to Session Buddy v4.0.3 in early April.  At least I thought I had manually checked for updates and updated to v4.0.3 because I see where I messaged my wife about the changes and things to look for.

I save collections every once in a while, maybe every few days, sometimes a week or two.  I just saved a collection the other day and saw the usual list of old collections.  I've not had any system or browser crashes, but all of my collections are just gone.

I see I am still on v4.0.3, but some of the settings had been turned off.  The "show tab count on extension icon" was back off.  I know that was on.  As soon as that became available again, I turned it on.  I noticed it was back off the other day, but hadn't bothered going back in to settings to turn it back on.  However, I see a couple of Retention options that I don't think were there before.  When I just checked, it was set for 10 years/500 events (which I think were the maximum options before), but now I see up to 100 years and 2000 events.  So, that makes me wonder if I was still waiting for v4.0.3 when I thought I had manually got Brave to update. ???

All of that said, I don't understand how the system would glitch and just delete/purge all of my collections.

The Export option does indeed give an error as if I have no collections and nothing to export.  I am absolutely stunned.

Jeff -family of- Stapleton

Jun 13, 2024, 2:39:33 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to Session Buddy Discussion
I've been using Session Buddy since 2015 and I back up all of the data every couple of years when I reinstall Windows and then re-import the data.  But I haven't done that since August 2022.  I haven't had any Windows crashes or browser crashes and I just saved a collection the other day and saw the usual list of old collections when naming the new session I was saving.

I've rebooted, restarted the browser, but all of my old collections are just gone.  There is nothing.

I posted a few minutes ago in this forum with (I think) my first ever post and a lot more detail about this "glitch" or whatever it is that happened, but I don't see the post.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 13, 2024, 2:45:22 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I'll respond more meaningfully when I have the opportunity but for now, can you check to see if you have the v3 database file still:

And if so, use the migration tool to create a restore file from it. This at least gets you back your data since March 13, 2024.

Hans

Jeff -family of- Stapleton

Jun 13, 2024, 5:06:38 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to Session Buddy Discussion
I had not checked to see if you had kept a copy of the old v3 database in the old location.  So, yes, I have the 1 file from 03-13-2024.  Still losing everything from the last 3 months is a huge blow since it is arguably more recent important reference material.

More than anything I don't understand how there isn't some redundancy or internal backups so that this type of "glitch" where all collections are simply purged cannot happen unless the user clearly requests this action.  This is very disturbing and I just got burned by it seems.  That said, I guess there wasn't any internal backups or redundancy for v3 data either.  It seems there was only one copy of the database.  (Shame on me for slipping up and letting this one area of my Windows/C drive fail to be backed up and synced actively like most of my system is.)

I am also puzzled by Session Buddy settings that I know I had set (like the "show tab count on extension icon") reverting to being disabled.  After I saw my collections were all gone and looked at settings, I also saw the "Ask for name when saving collections" setting was turned off and I'm positive that was on before too.  I've always named saved sessions/collections since I started using Session Buddy in 2015 because I add a date to the name for the day I am saving the session/collection.  I don't like untitled/unnamed saved sessions/collections.

The settings "Confirm deleting events" and "Confirm deleting windows and tabs" have always been enabled (and still were after I noticed the Collections were all gone), but I think those should only pertain to manual deletion actions by the user.

I am getting an error when trying to export the lone Collection I created with the tabs I did have open when I noticed all of my other Collections were missing earlier today.  Clicking on "Select Destination" always gives an error saying "Error exporting collections".  I've tried numerous times and restarted the browser (Brave) as well.  I am running the latest version of Brave.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 13, 2024, 5:10:29 PM (7 days ago) Jun 13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
See "Why does Export fail?"  at https://sessionbuddy.com/v4-faq/

This issue is fixed in v4.0.4 (awaiting approval). See: https://sessionbuddy.com/troubleshooting-export/

I'll respond with more when I have a chance. I appreciate your patience.

Hans

Jeff -family of- Stapleton

Jun 14, 2024, 7:44:10 PM (6 days ago) Jun 14
to Session Buddy Discussion
I'm assuming the Brave Export issue is a v4 problem (though it is fixed in v4.0.4) because my last full manual update that I did in August 2022 was also from Brave.  I've also never had a problem with SR Iron, Chrome, or builds of Edge (public release as well as various Insider builds.  Granted, Chrome working fine was expected.

Jeff -family of- Stapleton

Jun 18, 2024, 10:16:05 AM (2 days ago) Jun 18
to Session Buddy Discussion
I am still waiting for your help and feedback about what you know, what happened, etc.

Session Buddy Support

Jun 18, 2024, 10:17:56 AM (2 days ago) Jun 18
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Responded to you directly a few days ago. Did you receive that email?

Hans