SessionBuddy collects password and payment information?

189 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Joy

unread,
Oct 2, 2022, 1:52:24 PM10/2/22
to Session Buddy Discussion
I know I am not making any sense here but am I the only one going paranoid when seeing this in Chrome extensions store.

sb.png

KreJaxTV (KreJaxTV)

unread,
Oct 4, 2022, 7:36:52 PM10/4/22
to Session Buddy Discussion
Ohh im seeing it! And it mentions NOTHING on their https://sessionbuddy.com/privacy-policy/ about it! 
Reported the extension, filed a complaint on ic3.gov and called my financial institutions!
This guy could really get hurt over something like this! I sure hope he can explain because i cant find anything on WHY they would collect this.

Andrew S. Baker

unread,
Oct 4, 2022, 10:14:01 PM10/4/22
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
So far, I haven't found any deviation in actual behavior from what is outlined here:  https://sessionbuddy.com/privacy-policy/

I'll follow up tomorrow with more detail... 

Regards,

 ASB
 https://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker 

 Providing CyberSecurity and IT Operations Consulting for the SMB market… 

 GPG: 860D 40A1 4DA5 3AE1 B052 8F9F 07A1 F9D6 A549 8842



From: Mark Joy
Sent: Sunday, October 2, 2022 1:52 PM
To: Session Buddy Discussion
Subject: SessionBuddy collects password and payment information?

I know I am not making any sense here but am I the only one going paranoid when seeing this in Chrome extensions store.

sb.png

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Session Buddy Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sessionbuddy-dis...@googlegroups.com.

David Morris

unread,
Oct 5, 2022, 10:27:10 AM10/5/22
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hans has addressed this in the past. Pasting one of his prior responses to questions about this:

-----

Rest assured, the privacy policy posted on the website is the definitive source: https://sessionbuddy.com/privacy-policy/

Unfortunately Google does not currently allow extension authors to select fine-grained privacy categories for Chrome Web Store extension profiles. This currently means:
  • Because we provide a way for users to email us directly (at sup...@sessionbuddy.com), we have to check the Personally identifiable information category because technically this gives visibility of a sender's email address (and potentially name).
  • Because we provide a way for users to send us donations, we have to check the Financial and payment information category because this technically gives us visibility of a contributor's payment information.
  • Because we will provide a way in the future for users to create logins, we have to check the Authentication information category.
  • Because the extension's functionality depends on storing links of a session, we have to check the Web history category, regardless of whether that information is stored locally on the user's computer or in the cloud. Currently none of that is stored in the cloud. This will be a future opt-in/paid feature.
Thanks for your question. I agree it's confusing but Google does not currently give us a more explicit way to disclose/explain privacy policies directly within the Chrome Web Store. We will add content to the privacy policy to help explain this situation a bit more clearly.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions or provide further clarification.

Cheers,
Hans

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages